Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been wanting to go to the dermatologist for some time now, but I was wondering what the average price to see one would be without insurance?

Also, this may sound gross, but I've never been to the dentist. I do not have any cavities, or anything potentially wrong with them, but I need braces and I guess getting them whitened would be a good idea too. They have just a tinge of yellow to them, so I would like to get that taken care of as well.

Now here's my dilemma. Unfortunately, without insurance, I'm most likely not able to do both. So what do you think? Should I go to the dermatologist, or should I go to the dentist?

I'm counting votes!

Although acne certainly is a frustrating thing, I would have to say dentist first. That way no matter what, at the end your teeth will be straight. Acne is a tricky thing, and during that time you can try different things and maybe not even have to see a derm if it all clears up. Good luck! :D

Honestly, you have better chances of a Dentist straightening your teeth than you do a Dermatologist clearing your acne... Dentist

I'd say dentist, for a checkup/cleaning since you haven't been, that and braces are really expensive :(

Depends which ones worse / bothers you more. Dentist is pretty much guaranteed to fix you up if you can afford it though, so i'ld probably go with that.

Well, I don't know... I guess it's not as bad as I seem to make it (I over exaggerate).

I only have milia on my forehead. Around my face (like temples and jawbone) I have nothing. But on the roof of my nose and sweeping out onto my cheekbone I sometimes have pustules that form there and (normally under the skin not quite ready to come out) I have whiteheads. Around the rim of my mouth (as close as you can get) I have black heads in the bottom right and an occasional whitehead that pops up every now and then. The only place that I get cysts is on my chin but that rarely happens, maybe once a year? And the black heads you cannot see unless I push my lip out with my tongue.

So yeah, that's it. Actually, in addition, I have some dark open pores on the roof of my nose and going out into my cheekbones. I have no idea what that is, but I know they aren't black heads.

There ya go!

Doesn't seem too bad! If anything go to your dentist first and then save up for the derm! You know maybe you can talk to them and tell them you don't have insurance and they might cut you a break! I didn't have insurance when I was 18. I forgot the reason, but i needed to go to the eye doctor every year to get a new prescription for contacts! I talked to him and he heard i was in college and he gave me a deal and only charged me $80! I know that's good, cause now with the amazing Tricare <--- awesome I pay $0 at the derm and doctors! My eye doctor charged me $60!!!!!! WTF? I don't get it! lol.

Wow. Lucky you! Ha, ha. I would LOVE to go to the dermatologist for zero $!

Yeah, I was going to try and get any discounts out of them that I possibly can. I was thinking about Invisilign, but I hear that it's veeery pricey so we'll see...

The description of my acne that I gave you was kind of on my major-breakout days. I thought I would describe it that way because you were asking how bad it is (or can get).

Recently, it's nowhere near that, though. The only spot with gross acne is the top of my nose sweeping out into my cheekbones, but that's it other than the stupid milia crap on my forehead. For the most part, I think it's getting under control because of a scrub that I've been using. So yeay! That's good. I've also been on vitamin-A supplements for a little over a week now and I think they're working pretty well.

If you want to keep in touch, you can drop me a message on my page or visit my log.

Thanks for your advice Snowangel!