Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was browsing some other sites, when I saw that lemon juice brings down the redness in acne. Cool! I thought. I'll try that. After the first day my skin felt great; no new breakouts, reduced reddness, and softer skin. I applied plenty of moisturizer afterwards, since I am a competitive swimmer who is in the pool nine times a week. The problem is, I just realized, my skin was already dry and the lemon juice made it worse, contradicting my efforts. The next day I woke up with five or six white heads.

The good news is that I've stopped with the lemon. Moisture is my number one goal. The thing is, the whiteheads now are turning slightly flatter and a little redder, with the head almost disappear (they have not been picked). Are they getting better or worse? What would you recommend as a good moisturizer?, as I believe this is partially where the problem is. Thanks!!

I was browsing some other sites, when I saw that lemon juice brings down the redness in acne. Cool! I thought. I'll try that. After the first day my skin felt great; no new breakouts, reduced reddness, and softer skin. I applied plenty of moisturizer afterwards, since I am a competitive swimmer who is in the pool nine times a week. The problem is, I just realized, my skin was already dry and the lemon juice made it worse, contradicting my efforts. The next day I woke up with five or six white heads.

The good news is that I've stopped with the lemon. Moisture is my number one goal. The thing is, the whiteheads now are turning slightly flatter and a little redder, with the head almost disappear (they have not been picked). Are they getting better or worse? What would you recommend as a good moisturizer?, as I believe this is partially where the problem is. Thanks!!

Welcome 24/7swimmer!

It sounds like they are getting better if they are actually becoming flatter. Most of the time, worse involves bigger, redder and increased puss content. Continue not picking them and see if they've disappeared in two weeks. As for a good moisturizer, some people recommend Cetaphil (not sure on that spelling) as it's supposed to be mild. However, some people absolutely hate it. You do want to avoid moisturizers that are petroleum based. Another red-flag ingredient commonly found in cosmetics and creams is called isopropyl myristate. Look it up as it is very known to cause acne for many people. Best of luck,

Spiro

Thanks Spiro :D I appreciate your help!

Would you happen to know of any homemade masks I could use to help moisturize my skin as well? Such as oatmeal, honey, etc?

One thing you can try for next time is diluting the lemon juice with water so its not as acidic on your skin. I've also heard some people balance their skin pH by exfoliating with a baking soda paste (add a few drops of water to a small amount of baking soda, you don't want this to fall off your face but you dont want it to be dry either) and then doing the lemon juice with water.

I use Aveeno with spf 15, you probably don't have the problem of getting a sunburn as most competitive pools are indoors, but you will be outside ocassionally and its good to be protected. If you are outside a lot you might look for a moisturizer with spf 30.

Also you probably want to apply moisturizer after you get out of the pool too, chlorine can dry your skin out.