Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm pretty much clear of acne, but my red marks are bordering on moderate in severity. They REALLY bother me, to the point that I can't function any longer with them, so I'm committing my entire summer holiday (from May to August) to getting rid of them.

Personally, I think TCA peels are by far the best way (with the exception of elaborate techniques like laser) to get rid of red marks. I did a 12.5% TCA peel on my temples a couple months ago, which was where my red marks were at their worst, and they were significantly lightened. Overall I was happy enough with the results to continue usage on my entire face. All peels were ordered from Makeup Artists Choice.

Day 1

So I just did a 12.5%, 2-layer TCA peel on my entire face. Applied 10% AHA twice daily for about 4 weeks prior to the peel. Most areas of my face frosted after application, with the other parts just turning red, but it all subsided after about an hour and so now my face looks normal. I applied Polysporin and sunscreen SPF-60 afterwards. Peeling should occur within 3-4 days.

I plan to move to 15% in three weeks, and then 21% in another three, and keep it at that percentage from there. To anyone doing TCA peeling, MAKE SURE you use sunscreen. If you don't, you'll get discoloration in the form of brown spots, which is what I got when I did the peel on my temples. For some reason they didn't really emphasise using sunscreen on the instruction manual clearly enough, so I thought it wasn't essential, but it's actually one of the most important parts of the peeling process.

I can't use benzoyl peroxide or any other topicals while peeling, so to keep acne away I'm overdosing on B5, which works beautifully for me (I tried it once before). I don't really like to do it because of the whole hair loss problem that could result from long-term usage, but I figure using it for a week can't do much harm.

Edited by Beautiful Day

Heya, it's good to see that you're progressing in increments, you should get better results :D For my own personal curiosity/nosiness - how long did you wait between applying the layers, and do you start moisturising immediately, or leave it 1 or 2 days? Also, how severe were/are your red marks, and hopefully you'll inform us as to how much they noticeably faded :P Good luck ;)

Heya, it's good to see that you're progressing in increments, you should get better results :D For my own personal curiosity/nosiness - how long did you wait between applying the layers, and do you start moisturising immediately, or leave it 1 or 2 days? Also, how severe were/are your red marks, and hopefully you'll inform us as to how much they noticeably faded :P Good luck ;)

The instructions state to wait five minutes between layers.

Here's an important tip: DON'T apply the layers of TCA to your entire face at once. You'll lose track of where you've applied, and the pain (nothing you can't handle though) makes you lose your concentration. It's much more effective and precise to only do one part of your face at a time. For example, do one layer on your forehead, wait five minutes, then do another layer on your forehead, and THEN move on to another part of your face.

I moisturised and applied sunscreen immediately after. Yep, I'll definitely update on the results.

Day 3

Another uneventful day. My skin is now quite leathery-looking, and feels quite tight. It has also turned a brown color in some places.

Day 6

I've almost finished peeling completely. My jawline, cheeks and nose peeled first, and then my temples and forehead.

My skin is still a bit pink, so I'm going to wait a few more days to post final results. Needless to say, I REALLY like what I see so far.

tried TCA b4 skin looked alright for a few days, red marks got REDDER then calmed down to what it was before and thats as much as i would do for me. It didnt alter complexion or anything, maybe i shouldve gone to an 18% TCA, but i already frosted using the 12.5% so i dunno. I think i should just let it be and let time do its sexy thing

tried TCA b4 skin looked alright for a few days, red marks got REDDER then calmed down to what it was before and thats as much as i would do for me. It didnt alter complexion or anything, maybe i shouldve gone to an 18% TCA, but i already frosted using the 12.5% so i dunno. I think i should just let it be and let time do its sexy thing

Did you prime your skin in any way prior to the peel? If you went straight forward with the 12.5% TCA without anything beforehand, that might explain the lackluster outcome. I'm suprised that you didn't see any results, however.

As I said before, I prepped my skin with 4 weeks of Dan's 10% AHA lotion prior to this peel. Also, a couple weeks before I did the 12.5% TCA peel on my temples, I did three full face peels consisting of 30% glycolic, 50% glycolic, and 8% TCA, all within a week of each other. (For those interested, I got no results from any of them, except for the 8% TCA which very very slightly lightened my red marks). So I suppose my skin was quite prepared for this current peel, which is why I'm experiencing good results.

Day 7

I'm suprised at how great my results are.

As expected, the peel was more effective on red marks that were older as opposed to more recent. The most successful area of my face was my temples, where I'd say 70% of the red marks on my temples vanished completely, with the rest lightened significantly. This was probably due to the fact that the red marks there were almost 2 years old, and also because I did a peel there before. I was actually very suprised at this; the last peel I did only lightened my marks. I didn't expect such drastic results here.

I had a large number of red marks on my jawline which were a couple months old. While none of them vanished, I was again suprised at how drastically they lightened. And the red marks here really were quite dark.

I had some red marks (only about a month old) on my forehead which didn't really lighten that much compared to my jawline, but the effect on them was still noticeable.

My skin complexion also became noticeably clearer everywhere on my face, which was a nice bonus. All the brown discoloration marks (they were very light, though, and mainly only around my nose and upper cheeks) from my past peels when I stupidly didn't use sunscreen vanished.

Overall, most of my red marks were lightened signficantly, the rest still lightened a noticeable amount, and some of the older ones completely vanished leaving clear skin. Again, I'm very suprised at my results. They are much better than expected. I predict I'm only going to need one more full-face peel. After that I'll just target specific areas of concern on my face.

So I'll see you guys in about 2 weeks. Feel free to ask questions. I'll check this thread every so often to answer them.

Also, if anyone is interested for more information, here are some logs I thought were interesting when I was researching this stuff.

By BigLui:

- http://www.acne.org/messageboard/TCA-Peel-...html&hl=tca

By Axxith:

- http://www.acne.org/messageboard/TCA-Peel-log-t256674.html

- http://www.acne.org/messageboard/TCA-Peel-...II-t257496.html

Edited by Beautiful Day

Really interesting that you've noticed really good results on the older marks compared to the newer ones - personally I don't get many spots these days and so have no new marks but plenty of quite old ones. With a 12.5% 2 layered TCA was there a "snake" like peelings, or more of a flaking off? :)

Really interesting that you've noticed really good results on the older marks compared to the newer ones - personally I don't get many spots these days and so have no new marks but plenty of quite old ones. With a 12.5% 2 layered TCA was there a "snake" like peelings, or more of a flaking off? :)

It's a snake-like peel. Make sure you frost for the best results.

i also have red marks after acne, but my docotor prefer me to use lactic acid peel instead of tca, why did you choose tca instead

i also have red marks after acne, but my docotor prefer me to use lactic acid peel instead of tca, why did you choose tca instead

Because lactic probably doesn't do anything. I tried glycolic, which is a similar strength acid, and got no results.

Edited by Beautiful Day

Beautiful Day: Hey great log you've got going here. I wanted to ask you some noob questions on peels, I've been researching them for the past couple days and would like to try a series of peels down the line.

First off I don't have any scars from acne, I just have a few red marks on both cheeks and a bit on my forehead. I know you mentioned that lactic acid and glycolic acid didn't do much for you, but I have been thinking it might work out well for me since my marks are not scars. Any advice on that? I know its good to start off with AHA peels anyhow before moving up to TCA's, so I'd start off on either a lactic or glycolic, but was wondering what you thought for my situation?

I've read a bit about prepping the skin. I've currently been using a 10% mandelic acid serum for the past couple months. Would this be enough of a prep or should I move up to a glycolic acid wash for a week or so?

I've heard conflicting things on how long to wait in between peels. For someone who's never done a peel before, what would you recommend? 7 days, 10 days? I'm thinking 4-6 peels should get my skin to be 100% flawless, at least I hope.

Lastly what do you put on after your peel? I hear some say they use a moisturizer, some say Vitamin C cream and others use Neosporin. Any advice on what's worked for you on that?

I started reading the logs you suggested and there's good info in them, I'll continue doing my research in the mean time.

Thanks

PANIC

Panic:

First of all, I didn't have scars either, only hyperpigmentation (peels don't do anything for scars, peroid).

I personally find AHA's too weak to have any effect on PIH, but your skin could react differently. Between a choice of glycolic and lactic you should definitely go for lactic, as it's supposedly the best AHA to deal with PIH issues. Try a lactic peel or two and see how it goes, but if you don't get the results you want then move up to TCA (the lactic won't have been wasted as it will nicely prep your skin in preperation for the TCA anyways). 10% Mandelic acid is also fine for prepping.

For AHA's and TCA below 12.5%, you should wait one week between peels. For TCA 12.5% and above, wait about 2-3 weeks inbetween. Of course it all depends on how sensitive your skin is, so make the wait longer if you require it.

I suggest you go to Makeup Artist's Choice's website, and go to the TCA peel section where they have a nice set of instructions. I put Polysporin (pretty much the same as Neosporin) on my skin for the first 48 hours post-peel, as per their instructions, and sunscreen (SPF-30+) for the entire duration of the peeling.

TCA peeling is a simple process. I suggest you go read about it from some professional dermatology websites, or something.

Yo,

Thanks for the reply. For some reason I thought TCA peels were used for shallow scarring, where glycolic and lactic acid peels worked best for red marks/hyperpigmentation.

After thorough research I'm going to go with a 30-40% Lactic Acid peel and most likely do 4-6 before I judge the results. I see that the makeupartistschoice comes with a ph prep which is cool.

So it looks like it will take me 4-8 weeks to get these peels done.

I'll check out the instructions on the website, most likely going to start them in another 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks bro,

PANIC

Is there anywhere...say on eBay...that I could find a TCA peel for cheap???

I really wouldn't buy TCA off of sources which can't be held accountable for their products. It's not worth the risk. When dealing with something as dangerous as TCA you always want to go safety first. Find a well-reputed company to purchase from.

TCA peels are really cheap, anyways. MUAC sells a 1/2 oz bottle for ~$25, which gives about ~5 peeling sessions. What made it expensive were the shipping costs, which were actually higher than the product itself, at least in my case (I live in Toronto).

I'm gunna take the plunge and do some TCA peels. I wanna go to my natural health doctor, but for a 15% peel, it costs $225!

But I'm also worried about doing it myself... :/

HELP!

I'm gunna take the plunge and do some TCA peels. I wanna go to my natural health doctor, but for a 15% peel, it costs $225!

But I'm also worried about doing it myself... :/

HELP!

To be blunt, you'd have to be really careless to mess up while doing a TCA peel. There are only three dangers I can think of, but all three can be easily avoided.

The first is using excessive amounts of TCA, or an excessively high concentration. This might result in new hyperpigmentation or scarring. 'Excessive' is relative, but as long as you don't get impatient and rush into the procedure (ex. start off with a 30% solution, or something, which I've read of many people on this site doing), you'll be fine.

The second is getting TCA into the eyes. Again, as long as you aren't impatient and take the necessary precautions (which are pretty much putting vaseline around the eyes and making sure it doesn't drip into the eyes when you put it on your nasal bridge), this is easily avoided.

The third is pulling on the strips of skin as they peel, which might again result in scarring. I will admit, the temptation to do this is high (people who obsessively pick at lesions might want to take note, as a 5 cm long piece of skin dangling from your face is much more tempting), but again, it's easy to find a way to stop yourself from doing this. If you have to, handcuff yourself.

If you have hesitations that you can't get over, an option is to start off with a 30% glycolic peel (which is incredibly weak) in order to get the hang of the procedure. I too was scared when I originally decided to take up TCA peeling, and so I did just that.

Ah, and the fourth danger which I forgot to add, and the most underrated one, is not using sunscreen. You MUST use sunscreen (SPF 30+) or you will get new hyperpigmentation. I learnt this the hard way.

Day 30

So I just did a 21%, 2-layer TCA peel on my entire face. The application of this peel was much better controlled than the last one, as instead of applying the layers of TCA to my entire face at once, I did one area of my face at a time (a method I explained in a past post). This resulted in my skin frosting in every square centimetre that I wanted, as opposed to last time where it was more patchy and random. It was a slow process, taking well over an hour to complete. But in all, this method is nice and neat.

Contrary to what I said before, I decided to skip application of 15% TCA, as while I originally thought 21% might be too harsh to jump straight into, I've read many instances of people doing it with no problems and so deemed it safe.

Another thing I did during the procedure was blow a fan into my face, which turned out to be quite welcome as the pain felt during this peel was MUCH higher than the last one. However, it's amazing how well fast moving air blowing into your face takes away the pain. I would also recommend taking an Aspirin or something before you do the peel to further reduce pain.

This will be my last full-face peel. I've bought 24% TCA (the highest strength offered at MUAC, and the highest strength I will use) to use on small areas of my face that might still need it after this is over.