Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I have been using Dan's regimen since '08. It was improving my acne, though I never got totally clear. I recently started taking Loestrin 24 to prevent pregnancy. I have been breaking out a lot. I can't say if it is due to the bc or because I started getting my period again (I had a baby in January and my period returned a few months later). Anyways it seems like my acne may be hormonal. Although it does seem like when I eat unhealthy foods I break out more. I'm wondering if a low glycemic diet would work for me. I was thinking of starting by cutting out all dairy, then go from there? Any thoughts or suggestions? Do you think this will help me?

A low GI diet will most probably help the majority of people who suffer from acne. It might not cure you but it will definately help.

Also if you are thinking of cutting certain things out then you'll want to start with the most acne unfriendly foods

-Soy

-Tree nuts

-Peanuts

-Gluten (Dunno about this one though)

-Dairy

-shellfish

Edited by JoeBloggs

And refined sugar? =P

Yup but that goes without saying on a low GI diet.

I think low sugar has made the single biggest impact on my skin aside from accutane

I would focus more on what to EAT than what to CUT, though cutting dairy is a good start.

Mainly eat green leafy veggies, lean meats, fish, fats like olive and coconut oil and avocado, some nuts (almonds and walnuts) and fruit here and there (berries and kiwis are great), and whole grains.

So what would be a good dressing for my salads? Also, I usually eat a turkey sandwich for lunch every day...wheat bread with packaged deli meat, cheese, lettuce and mayo. What would be a good substitution for this??? I hate to admit it, but I'm a picky eater. Oh, and I thought avocados were a no no for some reason.

Also I've been on Dan's regimen and would like to switch to more natural products...any suggestions?

oh and what about soy beans and soy milk??

So what would be a good dressing for my salads? Also, I usually eat a turkey sandwich for lunch every day...wheat bread with packaged deli meat, cheese, lettuce and mayo. What would be a good substitution for this???

Rather than completely upheaving your diet in some difficult and painstaking effort to find low GI foods, why not achieve the same thing simply by regulating the speed and frequency at which you eat? Eat smaller, more frequent meals; and eat more slowly. Eat s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y, never giving your blood sugar a chance to rise too quickly. Eat only half of that turkey sandwich, and put the other half back in the fridge for 30 minutes or an hour, before you finish it. There's more than one way to skin a cat! ;)

So what would be a good dressing for my salads? Also, I usually eat a turkey sandwich for lunch every day...wheat bread with packaged deli meat, cheese, lettuce and mayo. What would be a good substitution for this??? I hate to admit it, but I'm a picky eater. Oh, and I thought avocados were a no no for some reason.

Also I've been on Dan's regimen and would like to switch to more natural products...any suggestions?

oh and what about soy beans and soy milk??

Olive oil and vinegar. And a better substitution would be a salad or soup, or combo plate that doesn't include bread and deli meat. And you really should also try avoiding all wheat and all dairy each for at least a month to see if you see improvement. And even if not, they still shouldn't be a huge part of your diet. Soy is another extremely common allergen that you should try avoiding to test for intolerance.

Avocados are only a no no if you have an intolerance too them. Usually a latex allergy. But otherwise they are a wonderful food. Some may avoid them because of the calories, but they contain the kind of fat you should eat. Cut calories elsewhere if you need to. Like with sugar and bad fats.

I love using just extra virgin olive oil on my salads. I personally hate vinegar with a passion. How do people stomach that? Ugh.

Hey, I'm planning on doing the same thing, i have done a lot of research on the internet and there is a lot of evidence that eating a low-GI diet and cutting out diary will significantly reduce your acne. So i am planning on doing this for two months and see how I go. However it is proving difficult to work out what i can and cannot eat, there isn't much left if you cut out diary and foods high in GI. Also i am going to try and drink 8-10 glasses of water daily and take vitamin supplements such as vitamin A, B-5 and B-6, and Calcium. About avocado i read that it can be bad for acne because it is high in fat, even though it is good fat, but I’m still going to eat it on my diet.

If anyone wants to read up on it, there was a recent study at RMIT university in Sydney, Australia where they tested a large group of teenage boys. Half of them where on a low-Gi diet while the other half was on a normal teenage high-GI diet. The study went for 12 weeks and the findings where that the boys on a low-GI diet saw a drastic improvement to there acne i think it was around 50%. However the diet that they put the teenagers on still contained dairy. I think that if i follow a low GI-diet and cut out dairy i will be saying bye to me acne forever :)

I would focus more on what to EAT than what to CUT, though cutting dairy is a good start.

Mainly eat green leafy veggies, lean meats, fish, fats like olive and coconut oil and avocado, some nuts (almonds and walnuts) and fruit here and there (berries and kiwis are great), and whole grains.

Soak those grains!

I'd start cutting out refined sugar and dairy FIRST, because some of the other things like wheat are hard to cut out and you might not have an intolerance to them anyway. For me it took about 2 and a half months to see a real change in my skin from being on a low GI diet. And I still ate sandwiches with swiss cheese in them and had bits of soy milk with my cereal. But along the way I learned that orange juice broke me out, as well as peanut butter (hydrogenated oils are a bit no-no with acne sufferers). So it's a bit of a slow process. But it works :dance:

I've been low GI for a few weeks now (actually phase 1 gabriel cousens rainbow live green cuisine). my skin has cleared considerably.

So what would be a good dressing for my salads? Also, I usually eat a turkey sandwich for lunch every day...wheat bread with packaged deli meat, cheese, lettuce and mayo. What would be a good substitution for this???

Rather than completely upheaving your diet in some difficult and painstaking effort to find low GI foods, why not achieve the same thing simply by regulating the speed and frequency at which you eat? Eat smaller, more frequent meals; and eat more slowly. Eat s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y, never giving your blood sugar a chance to rise too quickly. Eat only half of that turkey sandwich, and put the other half back in the fridge for 30 minutes or an hour, before you finish it. There's more than one way to skin a cat! ;)

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. If you drink half a can of soda as opposed to the whole can, your blood sugar is still gonna rise dramatically, yes the amount can make a difference, but if its inflammatory or elevates blood sugar in general speed or lack there of has little if anything to do with it.

Avocados are problematic for some people, they lots of healthy fat in them, good amount of fiber and low gi, but they can be somewhat inflammatory. Most people don't have an issue with them though.

Ditch the wheat bread, deli meats and mayo. Instead you could make a chicken wrap with romaine lettuce. Its very easy and tastes incredible. I grill up about a pound of chicken, season it and then tear out some romaine lettuce. I cut up the chicken in little tiny pieces, you can even add some olive oil as a dressing and then wrap them up in the lettuce and enjoy. Pretty quick to make and as I mentioned its bomb!! Also very low gi, no sugar and healthy for you.

PANIC

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. If you drink half a can of soda as opposed to the whole can, your blood sugar is still gonna rise dramatically, yes the amount can make a difference, but if its inflammatory or elevates blood sugar in general speed or lack there of has little if anything to do with it.

Oh, I think it has a lot more to do with it than you think! ;)

Oh, I think it has a lot more to do with it than you think! ;)

bryan's right. Eating more slowly is beneficial in more ways than one: it helps with weight loss if that's a goal, and it allows the blood sugar to rise less quickly. If you doubt it, drink that whole can of soda and check your blood sugar within 10-15 minutes. And then at another time, drink half a can and check your blood sugar within 10-15 minutes. There's a difference. Even in a non-diabetic.

Smaller, more frequent meals are also one very important staple in a hypoglycemic's (or diabetic's or anyone who wishes to maintain a range of blood glucose values that don't vary as widely) diet, precisely because the blood sugar stays more stable throughout the day. This is most obvious in diabetics who check blood glucose levels AC&HS or before meals and at bedtime. Those who have smaller, more frequent meals will have BS readings in a smaller and less varied range. Those who eat three big meals a day and don't snack in between will have big spikes.