Notifications
Clear all

Knee surgery while on accutane

MemberMember
(@lost-2)

Posted : 05/19/2010 8:58 pm

Orthopedic doctor said I should stop accutane a month before surgery to allow the incision to heal.

Any truth to this?

I haven't been to my dermatologist yet but I will ask next week when I go.

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/19/2010 9:01 pm

Orthopedic doctor said I should stop accutane a month before surgery to allow the incision to heal.

Any truth to this?

Thanks.

Of course it's true; why would the doctor lie? More than a month off Accutane would be even better.

I had to have emergent knee surgery while on Accutane; I was advised to, and did stop the Accutane immediately. Due to the Accutane, the knee did NOT heal well at all and caused pain for close to six months after a simple meniscal repair.

MemberMember
(@lost-2)

Posted : 05/19/2010 9:25 pm

Any truth to this?

Thanks.

Of course it's true; why would the doctor lie? More than a month off Accutane would be even better.

I had to have emergent knee surgery while on Accutane; I was advised to, and did stop the Accutane immediately. Due to the Accutane, the knee did NOT heal well at all and caused pain for close to six months after a simple meniscal repair.

I'm not having any work done. Just a scope. The only recovery I'll have is from the incisions.

How long were your sutures in? As long as the incision closes that's all that matters to me.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/19/2010 9:29 pm

I don't even remember how long the sutures were in. I have lovely scars, too, 10 years later. The leg had to be immobilized for close to six months, too, as the ACL was torn but not repaired.

This was a LONG time ago, in other words. Things are a lot more advanced now. :)

Even though it's just a scope, there's still tissue damage internally. You'd be far safer to stop the Accutane; you can always restart it later once your incision is healed up. Why risk it?

MemberMember
(@lost-2)

Posted : 05/19/2010 10:10 pm

Because I'm worried about my acne coming back. I've been on tane for 3 1/2 months. I'm about 95% clear. I can go back on it once I get my sutures out, so I'll be off tane for about 6-8 weeks.

Do you think I'm far enough into my course that I will stay clear for 6-8 weeks?

MemberMember
(@chicago-scar-face)

Posted : 05/19/2010 10:31 pm

so i had knee surgery about 5 months ago, ACL surgery on my left knee and my doctor is planning to put me on accutane in about a month.

i didnt even think of it bothering my knee so i didnt mention it

will it affect my healing?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/20/2010 9:48 am

so i had knee surgery about 5 months ago, ACL surgery on my left knee and my doctor is planning to put me on accutane in about a month.

i didnt even think of it bothering my knee so i didnt mention it

will it affect my healing?

Five months might be okay, but I'd really mention it to your doctor to be safe. Some orthopods want at least six months' break from Accutane prior to performing surgery. ACL surgery isn't something to mess about with, you want to be as cautious as possible.

Because I'm worried about my acne coming back. I've been on tane for 3 1/2 months. I'm about 95% clear. I can go back on it once I get my sutures out, so I'll be off tane for about 6-8 weeks.

Do you think I'm far enough into my course that I will stay clear for 6-8 weeks?

I had to stop my Accutane course only three months into it. I stayed clear for six years or so therafter. I couldn't restart it as the knee was not doing well.

MemberMember
(@pimpstick)

Posted : 05/20/2010 10:19 am

I hurt my knee about a month and a half ago playing softball. All I did was plant wrong into the bag and hyperextend my knee a bit. What should have been a week of a rest and good to go has been a month and a half of pain everyday. Seriously, this stuff will impact your recovery time. I wouldn't have surgery right now.

MemberMember
(@chicago-scar-face)

Posted : 05/20/2010 5:30 pm

I talked to my derm today he said 5 motnhs is enough recovery to get on accutane but i will ask my orthopedic. what do u think wynne?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/20/2010 7:03 pm

I talked to my derm today he said 5 motnhs is enough recovery to get on accutane but i will ask my orthopedic. what do u think wynne?

I'd definitely ask the orthopedic surgeon. :)

MemberMember
(@tv_viewer)

Posted : 05/20/2010 9:24 pm

I think you should take the doctor's advice not people here on this board. I don't see why your doctor would lie.

MemberMember
(@kaitlin510)

Posted : 01/16/2022 11:29 pm

I got knee surgery (meniscus tear)almost 2 months ago and have been on accutane the entire time. I am now starting PT and it has just came to my attention that my recovery may be effected because of the accutane. I really dont want to stop the medicine because I only have 2 months left. Any recommendations for how to approach physical theory or how to take it slow?

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 01/19/2022 2:27 pm

My joints were so bad when I was on accutane. I feel your pain. For sure get your doc involved with this. Ask him/her what they suggest.