Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMB

AHA question and another "how long" question

Hi,

I've tried Dan's AHA as a spot treatment and most recently I've tried using it twice a week at night instead of my moisturizer. I've been on the regimen for 13 weeks (maybe 14) and I was using BP for many months before that. I used a very small amount of AHA - a thin line on my finger and didn't even use all of it - my face was burning and was really red all day today....is this a normal part of the exfoliation process while using AHA?? Or did I just have a bad reaction?

Secondly, as I said I've been on the regimen for 13 or 14 weeks (over three months) and my skin is definitely more clear, still very red some days, and a few little marks....but I always feel like I'm just on the verge of another pimple or bigger breakout -- do others feel that way too at the beginning??! When your skin finally starts to clear every time you look in the mirror you're expecting the worst and when there isn't a pimple you think it's only a matter of time and if I do ANYTHING to upset my skin it'll all come crashing down.... just wondering if others feel this way.

Thanks for listening/reading :)

Edited by TMB

i'm on my 12 week of the regimen and had a similiar problem but i was using AHA everyday and i think that was my problem. My face would be itchy all day and it was difficult not to scratch. im now stopping AHA until my skin feels normal again and then i will start it again but only use it maybe once a week. my advice to you would be to maybe cut back on it a bit and don't apply it again until the itching feelings during the day stop. if you use it too much your skin doesn't have a chance to heal and so dead skin cells will be left on the surface and lead to clogged pores. your skin may also start oversecreting oil to heal your dry skin and a breakout will occur. best of luck

Thanks for the reply! It's now three days after I used it - I haven't used it since and my skin is better. I'll probably do what you're doing and only use it once a week - if that - and only when my skin is clear because I don't want to irritate active blemishes.