Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaynine9

cigarettes and acne?

thsi is probably a rediculous question but im going to ask it anyway.... does cigarette smoking really make acne worse?? i quit for about a year but i just recently started up again.... no affest so far .....

Nah man, and they make you look cool.

Seriously though, if you are going to start smoking again after quitting, acne should be the least of your concerns.

Smoking made my acne worse atleast.

Then again, I wasn't just smoking cigarettes! ;D Hmm.

ahaha. i dont do it to look "cool". i started again because im under alot of stress.

Smoking will do nothing to alleviate stress in the long run. When you really think about it, there is no reason to do it. This is coming from an ex-smoker. But I'm not your mom so kill yourself if you want to, it probably won't make your skin breakout to answer your original question.

I think you should exercise instead =] It's a much better way to relieve stress AND it's great for you! I'm not trying to be a hard-ass about smoking or anything, I've smoked before, but it doesn't help you in any positive ways. No ways that other things can't do anyways.

Smoking is a good thing. It boosts the economy.

Smoke'm if you got'em. Smooth, rich, mellow Marlboro 27's the best. Nice and taxable for the us gov to fatten there pockets

When I quit smoking I got cystic acne 3-6 months later. I was clear when I quit. Quitting gave me cystic acne because it messed up my hormones. I later found out it affects your estrogen, suppresses it, and does other things hormone-wise.

I quit 2x -- both for a year and was fine until 3-6 months each time and then my estrogen went nuts and my acne was out of control.

I'm not the only person this happened to, but it doesn't happen to everyone.

I'm not advocating smoking, btw.

Edited by Anti - Em

im a kind of an on and off smoker. but when i do smoke i dont know if its just like this with me but it tends to make my pimples look more visible and inflamed/red. and when i dont they are muchh calmer. also im not too sure but i once looked at the org website and im sure dan had a video of something about it there...

quit harrasing the guy about smoking, and tell him if it affects it or not! he didnt ask if he should smoke he asked if it affects acne. anyways..never affected me, unless u leave it hanging out of the mouth where the smoke can get all over ur nose, that used to give me blackheads

The smoking guilt trip is primarily due to the political push. There are literally millions of items on the market that are as much as a health hazard as smoking cigarettes. Either way, life ultimately results in death and the question shouldn't be how long you live, but how well you live. So let's focus on the connection between smoking and acne.

I'm aware of a couple of independent studies on the subject, but can't seem to dig them up. These studies concluded that smoking cigarettes contribute to the severity of acne. It is believed that the increased levels of carbon monoxide in the body lead to excessive overproduction of sebum, which causes clogged pours and, wa-la, lesions.

On top of this, smokers tend to be shallow breathers; this means only using the top chamber of the lungs and inhibits circulation of O2 in the body. Poor O2 circulation means poor healing. Not good for acne lesions and acne scars. Surprisingly, the studies didn't take shallow breathing into account. But it's a huge factor.

Tossing your habit will significantly improve your chances of obtaining healthy, acne free skin. It's tough as is. If you've been smoking for longer than a year, you'll probably want to commit to learning how to breath correctly too. Don't feel bad about relapsing, just try to be objective and very best luck.