Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayQ

Antibiotics and Probiotics

Ok i am wondering a few things when it comes to this topic, since i have always taken antibiotics and never any probiotics.

1. Can you ever destroy all the good bacteria? If so does it ever come back without taking probiotics?

2. Can you ever take to much probiotics?

3. When on antibiotics do you wait to take probiotics after your course or do take them spaced out when on antibiotics?

4. What is the best dosage/brand to take when taking probiotics during or after antibiotics use?

5. Can you take probiotics daily forever or how long do you take them after a course of antibiotics?

I recently came off levaquin 500mg for 13 days and during that time my acne or folliculitus stayed away and i was clearing up. I was taking it for a lymph node infection in which it cleared up. I stopped at 13 days cause i was experiencing panic attacks. About a week after i stopped the folliculitus was coming back and the sebohorric dermatits on my cheeks came back. Ive been itchy all on face, and im never itchy where breakouts are, so i think maybe it caused a yeast infection from low good bacteria. Also i had a few beers the day prior so dont know if that contributed. Its driving me crazy right now though, been breaking out kinda bad and itchy itchy itchy ugh!!!!

Please help with this!!

Edited by JayQ

Ok i am wondering a few things when it comes to this topic, since i have always taken antibiotics and never any probiotics.

1. Can you ever destroy all the good bacteria? If so does it ever come back without taking probiotics?

3. When on antibiotics do you wait to take probiotics after your course or do take them spaced out when on antibiotics?

4. What is the best dosage/brand to take when taking probiotics during or after antibiotics use?

5. Can you take probiotics daily forever or how long do you take them after a course of antibiotics?

I recently came off levaquin 500mg for 13 days and during that time my acne or folliculitus stayed away and i was clearing up. I was taking it for a lymph node infection in which it cleared up. I stopped at 13 days cause i was experiencing panic attacks. About a week after i stopped the folliculitus was coming back and the sebohorric dermatits on my cheeks came back. Ive been itchy all on face, and im never itchy where breakouts are, so i think maybe it caused a yeast infection from low good bacteria. Also i had a few beers the day prior so dont know if that contributed. Its driving me crazy right now though, been breaking out kinda bad and itchy itchy itchy ugh!!!!

Please help with this!!

who knows:)

yeah anti biotics destroy good and bad bacteria, u could never destroy all the good bacteria or you would die id imagine.

nope! just keep taking them, they help your body. like everything if you take to much could cause the runs but doubt anything bad would happen.

take them along with them. keeps a healthy balance then.

for example, take the anti biotic morning, pro in the evening

not sure, you get what you pay for though. go to a drug store that has them kept in a fridge. the more cultures of pro biotics the better.

Please help with this!!

take them for at least a month. id do them for 2 if it was me again.

Edited by want2beme

Ok i am bumping this thread with the question of: What/Where is the best probiotic to get. Ive read that if you just get them in the plastic bottles at like walmart or whatever there pretty useless, than that of glass containers or ones that need to be refrigerated.

I do not like yogurt so i dont want to go that route. This is something i have not tried yet and maybe a key that im missing with my reoccuring acne/folliculitis

We live in a world of bacteria and viruses, you will always replenish the good bacteria. Yes, you should take probiotics. Tipically, you kill bacteria in your intestines and bacteria in your skin, even in your private parts (ha)!. But they always recover.

Where I worked, lactobacillus (don't remember the exact genus, though!) is most often prescribed. Here's some pretty good information about lactobacillus acidophilus: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactobaci...ent-acidophilus The one we used required refrigeration.

There are plenty of other probiotics of course, but lactobacillus is the one I have most experience with. Just do a 'probiotic' search on the search engine of your choice and then research each one for efficacy and possible studies associated with each.

Where I worked, lactobacillus (don't remember the exact genus, though!) is most often prescribed. Here's some pretty good information about lactobacillus acidophilus: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactobaci...ent-acidophilus The one we used required refrigeration.

There are plenty of other probiotics of course, but lactobacillus is the one I have most experience with. Just do a 'probiotic' search on the search engine of your choice and then research each one for efficacy and possible studies associated with each.

Thanks for the help. I am wondering how u can get something shipped that needs to be refridgerated that will not ruin the probiotics effectiveness being shipped in warm weather.

Also i keep seeing the dosages in mgs and not strains. I know a good supplement is like a billon strains a day, but how does that convert to mgs? Confused :doh:

Can try Acidophilus & Bifidus from NOW. Which has 3 strains totaling to 8billion. Just a few weeks or so in shipment doesn't kill anything. You can try buying local if you're concerned. The potency thing is for hot periods where on a shelf can eventually kill off the organisms. I'm sure suppliers take the precautions and keep them within a stagnant temperature. They need refrigerating though.

They also have a good enzymes supp as well.

Edited by ₫₦å

Come to think of it, i did the colostrum regimen for 2 months and i know it helps restoral intenstinal flora by aiding like a probiotic, but it never helped my acne. I took it without taking an antibiotic as well, so i am guessing taking a probiotic pill is not my answer then huh?

Sigh

Jay, I, too, have done a lot of research over the years and have come to the conclusion that like many others have found, antibiotics does affect the flora in your system. I tried various probiotics from health food stores but they didn't seem to have any noticeable affect. I gave up on it but then I ran across a product I thought I'd try. Why not, right..we've all tried them all so one more isn't going to hurt at this point in my life.

It is a probiotic made in Japan by GHT (Global Health Trax) called "Threelac". The testimonials seem convincing in their claims that it will replenish the good flora in your system with the good because the good will feed on the bad. I am trying this because I thought that by having taking tetracycline when I was young + various antibiotics over the years might have allowed me to develop an imbalance in my gut allowing candida to overrun me. I have had a white thrush type coating on my tongue since I was about 18 and I've never been able to get rid of it. This product says it will cure that. The reason they say it is so effective is because of the way it is processed. They claim most good bacteria die off in the stomach's acidity but their product is micro-encapsualted so it can get passed the stomach and into the gut where it does it's thing.

I was skeptical, of course, because it was a bit expensive but thought I'd give it a try. I took it for 3 months and I think I have seen an improvement. Only slightly but that is better than nothing. I decided to order 3 more months and give it a really good go to make sure I was quitting on this try like I do so many others. I've changed my diet, too. I no longer drink beer or soda and have tried to cut out ALL sugar. I slip every few weeks and maybe have a cookie or small piece of cake but I'm trying. The sugar feeds the candida and apparently it only takes a bite of something to reignite it.

There was a time for about a week I noticed my tongue was no longer white...after 21 years of it, it was quite noticeable. The only thing I can figure is that during the previous month or two, I had not had any sugar and was only eating chicken and vegetables. I had a piece of cake and the next day the tongue was white again.

As for my skin, I've had acne since I was 15 and am now 39, turning 40 this year. I can't begin to describe how this has affected my life and I am now anti-social and reclusive. I have also wondered why I see other people who have acne when they are in puberty and then it clears up . Having adult acne completely wrecks your self esteem. Its so humiliating to be in the business world and go to meetings and you are the only one with acne. It's been that way for years. I also wonder if, for me, it is purely hormonal. I got acne at puberty and it never went away unlike others who have it. Why us? Is it hormones, food, leaky gut syndrome, stress, or some unknown deficiency if we just knew what to take it would go away forever? Maybe it is all the above but after a while you get so fed up with trying to stick to all these regimens you just give up and have to come to terms that you will have it until you die!

Anyway, back to what I was saying before, lol, I am on my 4-5th month of the Threelac. I am one cursed with chest and bacne as well. I've noticed my back is better than it has ever been in my life so I thought maybe it will take a little longer for me on the Threelac because I've had it so long. I'm gonna give it 6 months and if I see more improvement I'll order some more and go one year. At that point if it isn't any better I'm not gonna use it anymore. I think that point should let me know. I'm hoping that in another month I'll see this miraculous change and it will clear up.

Keep in there and let us know if you find probiotics helps you and what kind. I'd be willing to try because I know it is caused by what is going on inside so that is where it has to be "treated".