Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bennyb

What foods can you eat with fruits to stem the blood sugar spike?

I am looking to eat fruits again. I am reintroducing them slowly and want to know what types of food should you eat with them to help curb the insulin spike. I have heard that eating things with large amounts of fat help this. So would eating like an avocado or drinking some coconut milk with the other fruits help to curb the spike? Please let me know? Thanks.

I like dousing my fruit in cinnamon - which is good for blood sugar. Sometimes, I'll eat my morning banana with some walnuts.

It really depends on you, though. Most of the time, I don't typically eat my fruit with fats or anything else. It has yet to negatively affect me. If you really think you need it, just eat your fruits with nuts an and cinnamon.

I read some where that if you eat protein before sweets it will help to minimize or eliminate the effects. Haven't tried this yet but it could possibly help. Elf

Protein and fat sources. Nuts, seeds and yogurt provided you tolerate them. Or with vinegar as in a salad with a vinaigrette dressing. Apple slices on greens with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, sprinkled with nuts or seeds is my favorite. Strawberries are also very good with balsamic vinegar.

Things which slow the absorption of dietary sugar, when taken along with the sugar (all but one of these have already been mentioned by previous posters):

1) fat

2) protein

3) vinegar

4) soluble fiber

Note regarding that last item: only soluble fiber has the effect of slowing the absorption of carbohydrates. Insoluble fiber (like wheat fiber) doesn't have that effect to any significant degree.

Pea protein isolate, it's healthy.

According to a new animal study from Canada, pea protein has shown promising results in reducing blood pressure and improving kidney health. Scientists from the University of Manitoba, found that rats fed pea protein hydrolysate experienced a 20% drop in blood pressure when compared to rats on a normal diet.

Sun Dried Goji berries

Benefits:

Goji berries contain 18 amino acids; including the 8 essential ones, they are a superb source of vitamin A and offer more beta carotene than carrots, a rich source of vitamin C; having 500 times more vitamin C per ounce than oranges. Goji berries also have 21 trace minerals including germanium; a substance rarely found in foods, vitamins B1, B2, B6, and vitamin E The raw Goji berry is a nutritionally dense food and an excellent source of protein too. Goji Berries have a long history of use for eye problems, skin rashes, psoriasis, allergies, insomnia, liver health, and balancing blood sugar.

Just my 2 cents. ^^ I haven't tried them.. I just ordered it.

Edited by EddieE