Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of mineral makeup is good for you skin? I have used Bare Minerals but I heard it has ingredients in it that causes break outs. I can't remember if I broke out from it or not when I was using it. I was thinking about Merle Norman mineral foundation...has anyone had experience with that? Currently I am using MAC makeup. It's a liquid foundation though and I think it may be breaking me out. Of course when you already get breakouts who really knows if thats what is causing them. I just spent a lot of money on MAC products and I like the coverage I just don't want to breakout if that is what is causing it. I don't know...it's so frustrating...acne can really make you waste a lot of money. Oh and I definitely need a makeup that will not clog pores...that's my main skin problem. Thanks :razz:

Instead of mineral make up why don't you just try a tinted moisturizer, with a little concealer. CG smoothers or neutrogena. Those don't clog your pores, have spf 15, and will even out your skin tone. It won't cover scars but that's what the concealer is for. Should help your skin breath a little more.

MAC foundations are probably contributing to your acne, no doubt. Physician's Formula has a mineral line called Mineral Wear, it's really amazing and also very affordable. I use the pressed mineral powder as my foundation and it is truely amazing and will not break you out. It's oil-free, talc-free, non-comedogenic and 100% perfect for anyone with acne. It also doesnt have bismuth oxychloride which is in a lot of mineral makeups that break people out. There is also a loose powder which has a bit more coverage. Or if you want to spend a little more, you can try Jane Iredale mineral powder foundations, they are made to be good to your skin and have absolutely nothing bad in them at all!

Thanks so much! I will definitley look up those products..I need to try something else. I am pretty sure my skin is not reacting well to this Mac Makeup that I'm using.

MAC foundations are probably contributing to your acne, no doubt. Physician's Formula has a mineral line called Mineral Wear, it's really amazing and also very affordable. I use the pressed mineral powder as my foundation and it is truely amazing and will not break you out. It's oil-free, talc-free, non-comedogenic and 100% perfect for anyone with acne. It also doesnt have bismuth oxychloride which is in a lot of mineral makeups that break people out. There is also a loose powder which has a bit more coverage. Or if you want to spend a little more, you can try Jane Iredale mineral powder foundations, they are made to be good to your skin and have absolutely nothing bad in them at all!

I just looked up the Physicians Formula foundation..It's nice that you can get it at a local retailer. Do you know how well the makeup covers an existing pimple or red marks?

I just looked up the Physicians Formula foundation..It's nice that you can get it at a local retailer. Do you know how well the makeup covers an existing pimple or red marks?

Doesn't physicians formula contain bismuth? which is also in bareminerals (bare essensuals) which is known to break you out and give you cystic acne?

Doesn't physicians formula contain bismuth? which is also in bareminerals (bare essensuals) which is known to break you out and give you cystic acne?

Oh thats's good to know. I actually started looking into Jane Iredale mineral powder foundations. It is expensive but if it won't break my skin out then it will be worth it. I asked my esthetician about it and she says that they are very good products. I didn't ask about Physicians Formula though.

How do you apply mineral makeup? I'm afraid of using them because I think you're supposed to use a brush, and I think my skin doesn't react well to those makeup brushes. Is there another way to apply it?

How do you apply mineral makeup? I'm afraid of using them because I think you're supposed to use a brush, and I think my skin doesn't react well to those makeup brushes. Is there another way to apply it?

Most mineral makeup is applied with a brush because it is a powder. Although, I did see on Jane Iredale's website that they have a mineral liquid foundation...with that you can use a sponge or even your hands (just make sure their clean before touching your face.) Maybe that could be something that would work for you.

I am also looking for a good mineral makeup, especially one with a sunscreen. Thinking about Clinique mineral pakeup with 20 SPF. The lady at the counter said it wont clog my pores and she hasn't heard any complaints about it contributing to breakouts, but she is also trying to sell a product, so, I dunno. I really like the way mineral makeup looks so natual though and is easy to apply, thats why I want to keep using it but my cheap loreal stuff is ruining my face! :cry:

I heard Lily Lolo mineral make-up is very good. Read reviews on it at makeupalley.com (Sorry, I'm obsessed with that site. There's so many reviews on just about every product there is.)

You can buy samples from their site for very cheap, so you don't have to buy the whole thing to see how your skin reacts to it. I heard it's good coverage and also buildable coverage.

Have you tried Aromaleigh Cosmetics? Paraben free, bismuth oxychloride free (a known irritant), the foundations come in a huge range of skin tones and great coverage (from the "Voile" line for me). It's online only, but they sell samples so that you can find a close match. Plus every 2 weeks they have a coupon code sale for 25% off on a bunch of their items.

I've been buying a bunch of samples to get a close match.

I heard Lily Lolo mineral make-up is very good. Read reviews on it at makeupalley.com (Sorry, Ilol @ live band 'm obsessed with that site. There's so many reviews on just about every product there is.)

You can buy samples from their site for very cheap, so you don't have to buy the whole thing to see how your skin reacts to it. I heard it's good coverage and also buildable coverage.

Why can't I do quotes and edit? :think:

Anyway, what I was going to say is, Lilylo is ok assuming you have reasonably good skin to start with! Acne, forget it!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I went out today and bought Jane Iredal's mineral foundation and concealer...quite expensive but if it helps reduce my breakouts it will have been well worth it!

Has anyone tried SunCat? I ordered some recently (to avoid buying a product with bismuth oxychloride) and found it to be quite chalky on my face. I have used BareMinerals in the past but it made my face oily. Basically I'm looking for something in between SunCat and BareMinerals that doesn't have bismuth oxychloride.

How does Jane Iredale compare to BareMinerals (less oily, chalky, drying?)?

I love love love (loose) mineral make-up, so any suggestions are welcome!

Also - I am on accutane right now, so my skin is even more sensitive and dry than normal. Thus, I am willing to pay a bit more if there is something out there that works!!

Has anyone tried SunCat? I ordered some recently (to avoid buying a product with bismuth oxychloride) and found it to be quite chalky on my face. I have used BareMinerals in the past but it made my face oily. Basically I'm looking for something in between SunCat and BareMinerals that doesn't have bismuth oxychloride.

Also - I am on accutane right now, so my skin is even more sensitive and dry than normal. Thus, I am willing to pay a bit more if there is something out there that works!!

I have not heard of SunCat. Jane Iredale's mineral makeup has nothing in it that will clog pores or irritate your skin. However, I don't think it covers very well. I am very fair skin so sometimes it is hard for me to find makeup that covers really good. So their darker shades may cover better.

Bare Escentuals is hands down the best makeup I've tried. The problem with people thinking it breaks you out is because they think they can just wear it all day, everyday. Like their quote "so good for your skin, you can actually sleep in it". Well, no you can't. They should put in small print "unless you are acne prone". You have to remember these companies are not thinking about you when they make makeup. They are making it for the "average" skin type. All that "won't clog your pores" nonsense, its BS. If you already have inflammed pores, anything you put on your face is going to get in there. Thats just the truth. So here's what I do:

Put on benzoyl peroxide lotion (or whatever type of acne product you're using). Wait for it to dry. Put on mosturizer. Wait for it to dry, then apply your powder. Wear it all day, but always wash your face as soon as you get home. Well. Use makeup remover cloths, then wash your face. Twice if you have to. And the biggest thing...always ALWAYS wash your brushes. Yes, everyday. I use a cleansing spray everyday, then completly wash them twice a week. I know its a lot of work, but if you don't do it, all your doing is adding more bacteria to your face. (I use both BareEscentuals brush spray and shampoo)

Oh and yes, the MAC makeup is absolutley making your acne worse, theres no doubt about it.

You definitely make a good point about make-up companies and that their products target people with average skin. I suppose the majority of the population isn't on accutane. :)

Also good to know that Bare Escentuals makes a matte powder.

Thanks for your input!!

Bare Escentuals is hands down the best makeup I've tried. The problem with people thinking it breaks you out is because they think they can just wear it all day, everyday. Like their quote "so good for your skin, you can actually sleep in it". Well, no you can't. They should put in small print "unless you are acne prone". You have to remember these companies are not thinking about you when they make makeup. They are making it for the "average" skin type. All that "won't clog your pores" nonsense, its BS. If you already have inflammed pores, anything you put on your face is going to get in there. Thats just the truth. So here's what I do:

Put on benzoyl peroxide lotion (or whatever type of acne product you're using). Wait for it to dry. Put on mosturizer. Wait for it to dry, then apply your powder. Wear it all day, but always wash your face as soon as you get home. Well. Use makeup remover cloths, then wash your face. Twice if you have to. And the biggest thing...always ALWAYS wash your brushes. Yes, everyday. I use a cleansing spray everyday, then completly wash them twice a week. I know its a lot of work, but if you don't do it, all your doing is adding more bacteria to your face. (I use both BareEscentuals brush spray and shampoo)

Oh and yes, the MAC makeup is absolutley making your acne worse, theres no doubt about it.

Thanks for your feedback Twizzlers!

Does anyone with neutral/warm-ish undertones use Jane Iredale, and if so, how is the coverage??

I have not heard of SunCat. Jane Iredale's mineral makeup has nothing in it that will clog pores or irritate your skin. However, I don't think it covers very well. I am very fair skin so sometimes it is hard for me to find makeup that covers really good. So their darker shades may cover better.

You definitely make a good point about make-up companies and that their products target people with average skin. I suppose the majority of the population isn't on accutane. :)

Also good to know that Bare Escentuals makes a matte powder.

Thanks for your input!!

No prob. Hope it works for you too :)

Bare Escentuals is hands down the best makeup I've tried. The problem with people thinking it breaks you out is because they think they can just wear it all day, everyday.

I think the actual problem might be the bismuth oxychloride, which is a heavy metal added to mineral makeups used to give a pearlescent effect and smooth feel. Bismuth can irritate many people causing breakouts, though neither you or I seem to have that issue.

You can visit a store near you that sells Jane Iredale products and they will let you try the makeup on in the store before you purchase it.

Thanks for your feedback Twizzlers!

Does anyone with neutral/warm-ish undertones use Jane Iredale, and if so, how is the coverage??

Bare Escentuals is hands down the best makeup I've tried. The problem with people thinking it breaks you out is because they think they can just wear it all day, everyday.

I think the actual problem might be the bismuth oxychloride, which is a heavy metal added to mineral makeups used to give a pearlescent effect and smooth feel. Bismuth can irritate many people causing breakouts, though neither you or I seem to have that issue.

I did use Bare Minerals for awhile and I can't really remember how my skin reacted to it. I do know that Mac's liquid foundation has Octinoxate in it which can cause acne on some people (I googled it..lol) . I have a feeling I was one of those some people. I did buy Jane Iredale but I didn't like the coverage their makeup is not refundable which sucks. I bought Merle Norman mineral powder...just hoping it doesn't irratate my skin or clog my pores. It doesn't have bismuth oxychloride or octinoxate in it so I have my fingers crossed.