Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boss01

Need some advice...

Ok I completely changed my lifestyle for a month to see if there would be any change.

I'm a 21 year old male and i've been lurking here for a while now.

since i've been here i have been reading peoples advice and stories

and came up with a self help routine. Here's what i did...

I stopped drinking milk. eating cheese. chocolate (any dariy)

milk and chocolate was easy but i used to melt cheese on everything.

I stopped drinking soda in fact all i drink now is water.

which isn't that bad becase i like water but i miss pepsi and 7 up a bit.

I quit a 7 year smoking habbit. It was hard and i still miss it

I also stopped masterbating :redface: some people here seem to think it would help

and it was a lot easier than i thought it would be. I'd rather give up masterbaion than smoking.

I stopped washing my face with soap. All i used was warm water in the shower.

Not only that but i started eating more fish and vegetables

I also started taking multi-vitamines and after all this (for one month)

I got nothing. It didn't get any worse and it didn't get any better.

What more can i do? I'm running out of ideas seriously :wall:

Ok I completely changed my lifestyle for a month to see if there would be any change.

I also stopped masterbating :redface: some people here seem to think it would help

and it was a lot easier than i thought it would be. I'd rather give up masterbaion than smoking.

hey ...buddy... first of all what severity acne do you have...

second of all i know alot of people say diet effects acne...but it really depends on the individual.. some do and some dont....while changing diet cures somes peoples acne...its very rare....and is like everything what might work for someone might not work for you....abously diet didnt effect your acne...most likely they are your hormones...diet only helps to a minimum...

im not saying go back to your unhelthy ways of living ..is good that you stoped smoking and drinking soda ...but the dairy you can have sometimes.

everything in moderation....no to much/..but dont stop eating something ither...because there is nutruients we need ...that are in some specific foods....

now if you stoped masterbating and it didnt help abiously is not related to masturbation...

so my advise to you is to get on dans regimen.

excuse my grammar ..i type really fast and i dont feel like correcting it..:)

so my advise to you is to get on dans regimen....

Thanks for your reply. Is there anything I can do about Hormones?

Maybe taking HGH or steroids? I'm not a teenager anymore. Shouldn't be aproblem with my hormones.

It seems like you are doing the hard parts right! I would just get on some sort of regimen. What have you tried in past in the way of acne treatments?

I have tried washes, wipes and even antibiotics

even plain water from the shower drys my skin out.

I don't even need to use soap because water alone leaves it dry and flaky

I just don't know what to do next. If only i knew the reason my skin sucks

i could try and attack the problem.

How about sugar, gluten? Common triggers for a lot of people. Do you drink soy milk or eat soy products instead of dairy? If so: stop it. One month may not be enough, it may take several months before you start seeing results. Even if your acne won't disappear: the rest of your body will thank you for eating healthy. You could have a look at Acnescript, I'm reading good reviews about it. I also suggest you take a look at the holistic forum, especially alternativista's posts there. Good luck!

I don't eat much soya. I'm a meat eater so i don't need to eat soya

i've given up milk and dairy. As for gluten i'm not too sure

i try and keep it out of my diet but have it now and again.

On friday i brought a pack of 20 and smoked them all

now i'm back on 10 a day. Hasn't made a difference to my skin

or my breathing believe it or not i don't feel any worse.

I also started eating cheese again, i drink 3 or 4 cokes a week

but now i drink sugar free diet soda and i cracked a few out (sorry if you didn't need to know that)

I have tried washes, wipes and even antibiotics

even plain water from the shower drys my skin out.

I don't even need to use soap because water alone leaves it dry and flaky

I just don't know what to do next. If only i knew the reason my skin sucks

i could try and attack the problem.

Do you exfoliate and use a moisturizer? when I was using dans regimen, my skin was constantly dry, red, and flaking. Now, I exfoliate every morning to remove the dead skin cells, and moisturize to leave my skin balanced. I would recommend getting on a treatment plan that has low doses of BP, and salicylic acid.

I'm not on any regimen and i've never exfoliated

i don't even know what that means. moisturizer makes things worse.

I know how you feel. Sometimes dietry changes just arent enough for everyone!

The only thing that works on my skin is Duac which is a BP and Clindamycin overnight gel. Used to dry out my skin at first now its fine.

I recently forked out for a Dermalogica facewash called daily microfoliant. I've been using it alongside the duac and it's clearing up my reacurring acne a treat.

Also recently just found out sweet potatoes are super high in vitamin A which is awesome for the skin, i recommend getting some in your diet!

I dont think i could ever use just water on my face, i'd never feel like i've cleaned my skin. If washing with water dries your skin out try the oil cleansing method - there's a massive thread on it here.

Thanks for the advice i'll look into it.

By the way

GreySquirrel.jpg

only the strong survive :D

Edited by Boss01

Yes, Look into the OCM... Properly moisturizing with natural oils can help acne, as well as improve the tone and texture of your skin. Also try an Apple Cider Vinegar toner (1 part ACV to 8 parts water).

Natural oils? you mean like olive oil?

I've left my skin alone washing only twice a week with soap (my face)

and then everyday with warm water. Stops it from going dry and red.

Here is what alot of people fail to realize.

Before joining this forum and getting paranoid about acne most of us never took care of our face point blank.

Then we try to find all the different facts that contribute to your acne. In the end we try so many different shit its not even funny.

Simple thing is live healthy and use Dans regimen. Trust me I know. Trial and Error experience.

Natural oils? you mean like olive oil?

I've left my skin alone washing only twice a week with soap (my face)

and then everyday with warm water. Stops it from going dry and red.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sunflower Oil... Lot's of different choices, but a good place to start is Jojoba Oil.

I have found that the two most important factors in skin care (acne included) are:

#1 proper pH

#2 proper moisture

Edited by DeeVoo

Just be patient with it. There was this study done in Australia where diet was tested on two groups of males to see how it affected their acne, and one of the groups followed a low fat diet for 3 months. And their results showed a 50% decrease in their acne. So I figure, it'll take at least 3 months to clear it up. I'm on a low fat low sugar diet too and I had some breakouts the first two months. I'm on my 3rd month now and my face is almost completely clear-my back is almost clear too but I figure it will take a bit longer to clear up.

If you aren't seeing an improvement though, you might be eating some healthy foods that can cause it, for whatever reason. I've read that seafood like tuna and salmon can give some people breakouts because of its high iodine content (though I seem to be ok with them). Peanut butter is another one-because some contain hydrogenated oil in them which is bad for the skin. I used to have whole wheat toast with peanut butter all the time and thought it was perfectly safe, but kept seeing these breakouts every morning. Once I cut that out of my diet, I saw a lot fewer breakouts. I also cut out potato chips and other salty snack food because of the oil they're

made with. My one salty indulgence now is very light microwave popcorn, where the only ingredients are palm oil and salt. The palm oil I find doesn't affect me as much.

Other foods that I've heard can cause breakouts are potatoes and bananas. White potatoes seem to be high on the glycemic index list, which means they can spike blood sugar levels.

White rice is another high glycemic food (but brown rice isn't). Lately I've been trying to aim for low glycemic foods, which you might want to learn about too.

Oranges are another food I try to stay away from. I'm not sure if its oranges or orange juice, but I broke out once from drinking a bottle of 100% orange juice and I started getting a huge bump on my chin. So, no more oranges. I've heard that watermelon is high on the glycemic index too, so it's best to stay away from that as well.

Things I do like to eat are apples. Apples apples apples. Some people are allergic to them but I've learned they're great for the skin. I love Galas in particular. They're crispy and juicy and when I was starting out I'd have 2-3 a day. Now I find my skin heals itself a lot faster, if it does break out.

I've also learned that sweet potatoes are on the low glycemic index. Which is kind of strange, considering how sweet they are. So white potatoes are out, sweet potatoes are in.

As for vegetables, I eat a lot of carrots. I buy a bag of pre cut mini carrots every week. I also try to eat broccoli, and lately I've found that eating a bowlful of coleslaw every day (with a bit of coleslaw dressing) is really good for the skin.

Salads in general are great. Especially if they have chopped cucumbers and celery in them. Those are both great veggies for the skin. I'm rather lazy on preparation so I don't have these as much, but they are still good.

You might also want to try drinking 100% fruit juices. I like the ones Ocean Spray makes. I like their cranberry juice and juice cocktails.

I can also break out from some breakfast cereals even if they look innocent. I had a box of Kellogg's corn flakes and broke out from that. Now I just have Shredded Wheat with a bit of soy milk for breakfast. Sometimes I'll have a bowl or organic cornflakes sweetened with fructose, which seems to be ok.

So these are just a few diet suggestions for you. I think you're completely on the right track-don't panic if it's not working just yet. You may just have to tweak your diet a little.

Thanks for all the good advice.

good news i think Iodine has been screwing me. I've been taking a multi vitamin

with that good and i could'nt work out why my skin was still so bad. Anything else i should look out for in multi vitamins?

Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sunflower Oil...

Lot's of different choices, but a good place to start is Jojoba Oil.

Jojoba oil is what Dan recommends because it is very non-comedogenic... I personally have never had any problems with any of the other oils breaking me out, but start with jojoba just in case.

I've never heard Jojoba Oil but i cook with olive oil

and have it in my kitchen. I've started taking Ibuprofen everyday

for the anti inflammatory in it.

I take an ibuprophen when I have hormonal breakouts, but remember that it can hurt your liver and kidneys.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is best, but whatever olive oil you have you can try using a few drops at night on your skin before bed.

I'm going to try Vitamin D, E and Zinc. I was using a multi vitamin

but it had Iodine in it and that was doing my skin more harm than good.

I've been told that cirtus can make skin worse

fruits like oranges and grapefruits etc Is this true?

What about eggs and potatoes? should i cut them out too?