Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everybody,

red marks are a complete mind fuck and I am desperate to speed up their fading process. Has anyone had any success with any sort of laser treatments (IPL perhaps)? I have heard that laser treatment for red marks can be the quickest and most effective but i have also heard it is the riskiest because it might make the situation even worse...

Any comments or thoughts on the matter would be appreciated,

keep fighting guys, there will be a better day.

Edited by jamesy90

Yes, actually. There's not an immediate noticeably enormous change, but a bit of the redness does go away following each treatment. after about two or three successive treatments (I use Isolaz, but it's REALLY expensive.), the marks really start to fade. Couple this with a beta hydroxy peel and yep, your marks should effectively fade.

May I also suggest emu oil? That stuff is a godsend. You can find it at most local health stores

Thanks! Just a few more questions though:

1) By red marks we both mean post inflammatory hyperpigmentation right?

2) What should I expect after a treatment in terms of what happens to the skin?

3) How long did it take for you to be satisfied with the results (months/number of treatments)

It would be SO GREAT if you helped me answer these bud since you seem to have survived it, I'm surprised it did not make the PIH (red marks) worse

Well I had the misfortune of having a bad experience with lasers for my red marks. I went to a laser center in 2005, and had a series of different lasers I was told would help my red marks. I think they used a CO2 and a few others that I can't remember.

I ended up with scarred pores and a couple of rolling scars in addition to having no improvement for my red marks. So I basically threw a few grand in the shitter to have worse skin. I really think they just preyed on my vulnerability, because my red marks were not too severe. It wasn't a dermatogist per say, but more of a laser treatment center where a damn trained technician performed the treatment. I think she left certain lasers on my skin too long, that it destroyed some collagen on certain areas of my skin.

I was really naive and just wanted a quick fix. My quick un-fix took me years to pay off. I would suggest really researching the right place and laser if this is something you want to do. Don't go to a place that just does laser treatments. Naturally, they are going to try to sell you the treatment, regardless of how mild or severe your skin is.

Good luck.

Guest frogskinshoelace

So my laser consultation was today. I went to the office and first they took pictures in some fancy machine. Then I met with the doctor. He looked at my skin and first said he wants me to see a dermatologist (He is one, but only does lasers) because I had 2 small zits on my left cheek. He said that even though I basically have my acne under control, the laser can "flare up" even the smallest of pimples. He called his friend who is a derm, and got me in for Monday, even though that office tried to schedule me over a month from now. A week after that I go back and get my first treatment. He said he is going to use two different lasers on me. I will get 2-4 treatments, about a month between each. I should be over this shit by August! Just in time to go back to college.

It is very expensive however. 675$ a treatment. I explained to my parents all the nightmares this shit causes, like constantly running to mirrors, not being able to concentrate on other things, the fact that I missed many classes last semester because I was afraid to leave my room, and that Ive had this for years and have tried almost everything else. They were concerned and said they would help me with that.

675?! Jesus Christ! They really love sucking our money away... I also don't understand how derm's are always so booked, how is it possible it takes months to book appointments with these guys? But thanks for the info man, I tried to book a derm but he's only free in september somehow... so I don't know what to do. Keep me posted on this thread I guess of what goes down in each treatment will ya? Lol and also what lasers he is using... thanks man

Guest frogskinshoelace

Ill keep you informed. Yeah its so expensive because he is using two different lasers. One will help red marks, and one will fill in the scars. I forget which ones he said he will be using. One is a frax laser I believe. The other, he said that only he, and only like 5 other derms in the world have, but it is highly effective, and hes had it for 4 years. If you live anywhere near Philadelphia I highly recommend going to this guy if you want laser treatment. He literally invented most of the lasers used for this, and teaches clinics all over the world on how to use them. I have no worries of my skin getting any worse.

Guest frogskinshoelace

Bump, didnt want to lose track of this page for you.

I had a regular derm appointment in the beginning of the week. Doc put my on 100 mg of monodox and gave me a gel called epiduo for acne. If you are interested in the laser treatment, I highly recommend you get on a regimen from a derm before get laser'd. After 4 days, my acne has completely healed up. Although it was just minor, it feels great to rub my hands across my face without feeling any bumps. Not to mention after my laser treatment is done, I wont have to worry about any pimples coming back leaving more red marks.

Sick man, that's good to hear. Also, thanks for remembering to keep me posted. I'm just always afraid laser might aggreavate my PIH instead of help it.

So when exactly is your first laser treatment now? I want to know the results pretty badly lol

Guest frogskinshoelace

June 8th. I can see why you would be concerned, Im just lucky Dr. Bernstein is so close by, he is truly the best.

Bump. I figure we are close to your first appointment so maybe you'll see this and write back lol. Ya a few days back I though my marks were getting better but today they just look bigger and redder again. I was thinking about peels or microdermabrasion or crap, but I hear laser is the quickest way so I'm really starting to consider it, I don't want to wait 3 more years for these things to take there sweet as time to heal, or worse yet they never do fade...

I was wondering (frogskin) what you thought about IPL laser for treating red marks? Have you heard any horror stories about it? Or amazing ones? I hear it might be best but i also hear V-beam or other random lasers... just wanted to know your thoughts lol

Guest frogskinshoelace

I really dont know what laser does what to be honest. The doctor Im seeing has pretty much every laser (ipl, vbeam, frag, etc) And I just let him decide which ones to use. The best thing you can do, is research for the best doctor with lasers in your area. Dont be afraid to travel a little bit. My doctor takes almost an hour to get to, but hes worth the hike. Ill come back here and write about my experience on Tuesday.

Here are some before/after shots of work he has done, posted on his website:

Before: http://www.dermguy.com/images/acne_small_3.jpg

After: http://www.dermguy.com/images/acne_small_4.jpg

Before: http://www.dermguy.com/images/acne_small_5.jpg

After: http://www.dermguy.com/images/acne_small_6.jpg

Edited by frogskinshoelace

My god, that's incredible (the pics). Ya today was a bad day for me... so I'll be waiting to here about your experience tuesday man, don't know if you'll post before and after pics but that'd be cool lol

Guest frogskinshoelace

He told me most people get 2-4. He said after 2 treatments is when most people see most results. After 3, it will be mostly all gone, but may have light pinkish marks, the 4th usually returns the skin to normal.

I wont get before/after pics until I finish, in August or September sometime.

I have gotten successful laser treatment, I believe it was the "Vbeam" type. It was quick and very easy for me. The pain was very minimal and the swelling went down by the next morning (I got it done at 5pm). There was hardly even swelling, just my face was a little red. It made a positive noticeable difference and I only went once. I would recommend it :)

Try to shop around and see if there are any doctors who will do it cheaper. I am so lucky to have found my lady because all she makes us pay is a $25 copay and then puts the treatment through my insurance as monthly acne maintenance. Otherwise I never would have been able to do it.

Good luck!

Guest frogskinshoelace

Ok, just got my first treatment. Here it goes...

Got there at 3:00 for numbing cream. They rubbed some goopy white shit all over my face and I sat there for 45 minutes. My face felt like it was injected with novocaine. They rubbed it off and had me wash my face with cetaphil. Then they rubbed alcohol on, and began with the lasers. Im not positive what the first one was. I forgot to ask which one it was. He zapped it all over my face, the pain was very very minimal. It felt like someone was flicking my face with a fingernail. Then he busted out his 2nd laser, called Smoothbeam. He said it is a more advanced machine than its predecessor. Im guessing VBeam because of the name. He told me there are only two in the world. The company that makes it started it as an experiment for acne scarring/red marks, and has had great success with it over the 4 years he had it. That company is supposed to start selling it to other derms within a year. This one hurt a little bit on the forhead. It sound like a machine gun when he zapped me with it. I actually started to feel like I was going to faint. I asked for water, and they had me lay down and got me a bottle. I felt fine right after. They told me I should have eaten lunch before coming.

Anyway, its been a little over an hour since the treatment, and my skin feels perfectly normal. It doesnt look any different from before. Minimal redness, and the swelling went down after about 30 minutes. Results take some time to show, so it will be a while before I have any news on that front. I go back for treatment #2 July 12th. Question, comments, concerns?

In a couple of days you should post up some before/after pics. I'm strongly considering this as I've lived wayy too long with terrible acne/acne scars...past 8 years to be exact in my 20 years of life.

Guest frogskinshoelace
In a couple of days you should post up some before/after pics. I'm strongly considering this as I've lived wayy too long with terrible acne/acne scars...past 8 years to be exact in my 20 years of life.

My skin probably wont look any different in a couple day. They told me I wont see much difference for at least a week. Ill post pictures after I finish all my treatments.

How often can you get treatments? Every couple weeks? Every month?

What's the difference between your treatment and the ones you see where they completely burn your skin and you have to stay out of the sunlight for like three days?

Guest frogskinshoelace
How often can you get treatments? Every couple weeks? Every month?

What's the difference between your treatment and the ones you see where they completely burn your skin and you have to stay out of the sunlight for like three days?

You can get treatment every 2-4 weeks. My doctor wants mine to be a month apart. I dont know the difference, sorry.

The only thing Im pissed about, was that I forgot to ask him to get under my chin. Ive got quite a few redmarks there. Ill have to ask him next time and hope they fade after missing a treatment.

Lol oh well that's a small area anyway. I'd still love to see your 1 session results so I can know what to expect...but it's cool if you wanna wait.

I've been takin pics monthly for the past 5 months or so, and it seems like they get slightly better one month then a lot worst the next month...and no real improvement over that time. I just don't wanna my college years with these dark marks over my face. I even remember last semester sometimes I'd get bored and try to pick out other kids who had acne to make me feel like I was a little bit more normal, but I couldn't really find anyone who had it that bad...maybe one pimple at worst - but most were completely clear. Kinda depressing....like even in the summer, I've had to turn down offers to go to the pool n sh*t because I didn't want the scars to darken due to exposure from the sun. I should be out having fun not worrying about acne.

I kinda liked one of your previous posts on here about wishing your biggest problem was hating your job. From my stand point right now, if I had a clear face, I really wouldn't have any big problems at all lol.

Guest frogskinshoelace

Yeah, I feel like if anything good comes out of these redmarks, it will be that it gives me a better outlook on life once Im over it. I wont sweat the little things like everyone else does. Ill just be happy that I dont have redmarks, that Im not in a wheelchair, etc. I honestly feel like it will give me an advantage over most other 20 year olds (my age) who havent had something uniquely horrible happen to them. I think everyone will have an event that changes their life at some point, mine just happened much earlier than most others.