Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rakugaking

Doxycycline and MSM together?

Hi there,

I've been taking doxycycline for acne and rosacea for the past three months and it's been working pretty well generally. However, I've still been having problems with papules and the occasional zit so I decided to give MSM supplements a try after reading how they help some people to improve the condition of their skin. My skin has flared-up pretty badly for the first time in months and I'm pretty sure that the MSM tablets are the cause. I have read that there's often an inital breakout phase while the sulphur pushes out dead tissue etc., but I got a bunch of cysts over the weekend and not in places where I would necessarily normally get spots. I'm pretty gutted as my skin had been steadily improving up to that point. I've stopped taking the MSM and I just hope that things will get back to how they were a week ago.

Has anyone else taken antibiotics and MSM at the same time, or had any good/bad experiences with MSM supplements?

Thanks,

Nick.

Honestly, no I have not. I did take doxycycline for 18 months though, so I have a fair amount of experience with that antibiotic. I don't want to deter you from taking them but just know antibiotics are a temporary answer. They might limit your acne severity though, as was my experience. I had moderate acne before going on doxy and by the time I decided to quit I had mild acne. Long term antibiotic use shouldn't be used if at all possible due to resistance.

I do wish you luck and my advice is to stop taking the supplements and see where your face goes. Good luck! =)