Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kashn

Skin got wrinkles and i'm only 17...

I was soo excited when I finally got my BP gel. But after 2 days of use, my skin has massive amount of wrinkles... EVERYONE in the school noticed it too, and I used to have really soft skin a few days ago.

I have the 8oz tube, and i followed exactly what Dan did in the video and used just slightly bit more than what Dan showed in the pictures when you start out (thats because I have strong skin and it takes more of everything to be effective...)

I applied the BP gel in the afternoon, and then left it on the entire day, and then washed my face with cleanser and reapplied the gel before going to sleep.

Although, I must admit I didn't use an moisturizer the first night and the second day (3/4 times didn't used moisturizer). I don't think that should've been that sever to cause noticeable wrinkly skin though :S

Please tell me what should I do? I haven't used the BP gel at all for the past two days, afraid. I've used lots of moisturizer and applied calamine lotion last night thinking it would calm what ever it is that just happened.

Please advice...Thanks!

post-129243-1274149207_thumb.jpg

post-129243-1274149207_thumb.jpg

Edited by kashn

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#wrinkles

Q: Does benzoyl peroxide cause wrinkles?

A: No, it does not cause wrinkles; however, some people experience wrinkling around the eyes due to applying benzoyl peroxide too closely to that area. This wrinkling is due to dryness and is not permanent. Avoid the eye area with benzoyl peroxide. It is also important to avoid the eye area with moisturizer that is applied over the benzoyl peroxide. This is because the moisturizer can mix with the benzoyl peroxide and bring the benzoyl peroxide with it. On a personal note, the lower half of my face, which is where I've been using benzoyl peroxide for 20 years, looks better than where I haven't. See this link for a pic of my skin after 20 years of benzoyl peroxide use.

Q: Does benzoyl peroxide cause wrinkles?

A: No, it does not cause wrinkles; however, some people experience wrinkling around the eyes due to applying benzoyl peroxide too closely to that area. This wrinkling is due to dryness and is not permanent. Avoid the eye area with benzoyl peroxide. It is also important to avoid the eye area with moisturizer that is applied over the benzoyl peroxide. This is because the moisturizer can mix with the benzoyl peroxide and bring the benzoyl peroxide with it. On a personal note, the lower half of my face, which is where I've been using benzoyl peroxide for 20 years, looks better than where I haven't. See this link for a pic of my skin after 20 years of benzoyl peroxide use.

How would you explain the skin besides the eye area then? Or is that just really dry skin and not really wrinkles? Should I just keep moisturizing it until it gets better?

Thanks

Keep on moisturizing, yes. :)

Thanks. How long do you think roughly it might take to get my normal skin back?

Keep on moisturizing, yes. :)

Thanks. How long do you think roughly it might take to get my normal skin back?

Took me a week.

yeah the dryer your skin gets, the more wrinkles like those could pop up. everything on your face is probably just a little tight. it should work itself out soon, just push through it.

I honestly dont think that it should be said that BP doesnt casue wrinkles... Because IT DID GIVE ME PERMANENT wrinkles. 3 years after I stopped the regimen, they are still there... not as prominent of course, but they are there, and YES I know that BP caused them. I went to my doctor at the time and he told me to stop the BP right away or the wrinkles would get worse. He told me it's damaging to the skin.

I'm not trying to scare anyone out of usin gthe regimen or anything like that, I love Dan and I think he's an angel for starting this site...And YES the regimen DID work for me. It cleared me 100%. But to me it wasnt worth the side effects. I just dont believe in using BP. It caused me so many long term problems. Maybe it's just because I have super sensitive skin... but that's what happened to me.

All the best of luck to you. I'm sorry to be such a downer, I just felt like I should tell people my experience.

I honestly dont think that it should be said that BP doesnt casue wrinkles... Because IT DID GIVE ME PERMANENT wrinkles. 3 years after I stopped the regimen, they are still there... not as prominent of course, but they are there, and YES I know that BP caused them. I went to my doctor at the time and he told me to stop the BP right away or the wrinkles would get worse. He told me it's damaging to the skin.

I'm not trying to scare anyone out of usin gthe regimen or anything like that, I love Dan and I think he's an angel for starting this site...And YES the regimen DID work for me. It cleared me 100%. But to me it wasnt worth the side effects. I just dont believe in using BP. It caused me so many long term problems. Maybe it's just because I have super sensitive skin... but that's what happened to me.

All the best of luck to you. I'm sorry to be such a downer, I just felt like I should tell people my experience.

You're at the age where some permanent wrinkles start. Don't assume it's from the BP. It was an irresponsible doctor who said the BP is damaging your skin; just look at all the information and studies about the safety and effectiveness of BP....30 something YEARS worth.

Either way you're putting harsh chemicals on your skin... You don't see many other mammals putting stuff like that on their skin on purpose, because it makes no sense from a health point of view.

Either way you're putting harsh chemicals on your skin... You don't see many other mammals putting stuff like that on their skin on purpose, because it makes no sense from a health point of view.

Neither do we see other mammals building bridges across rivers, nor a telephone, nor electricity. Etc...

Neither do we see other mammals building bridges across rivers, nor a telephone, nor electricity. Etc...

Those things are actually good. :| Plus I'm talking about health, so don't bring up things that have nothing to do with it... You could have brought up medicine. THAT would have been a good point. But doing good for our health shouldn't make up more willing to do BAD for our health by putting chemicals on our faces. And then some people wonder why they have trouble growing out of their acne. :/ Go figures, BP doesn't solve the problem, just puts it on hold (even Dan hasn't grown out of his acne... I saw his blog about it).

Those things are actually good. :| Plus I'm talking about health, so don't bring up things that have nothing to do with it... You could have brought up medicine. THAT would have been a good point. But doing good for our health shouldn't make up more willing to do BAD for our health by putting chemicals on our faces. And then some people wonder why they have trouble growing out of their acne. :/ Go figures, BP doesn't solve the problem, just puts it on hold (even Dan hasn't grown out of his acne... I saw his blog about it).

My point is simple: human beings do many things other creatures do not do. Those things are not inherently bad because we're not still eating only bananas, picking each others fleas, and swinging around in trees. I figured medicine was obvious so I didn't have to mention it; as the determination of BP's safety and effectiveness is a result of years and years and years of medical studies.

And evidently you've missed the multiple studies and research articles about the safety and effectiveness of BP.....30 something years worth.

'Harsh chemicals' is a paranoid person's response to perfectly fine chemicals that that person deems 'unnatural.'

Regarding the bugaboo (definition for those who don't know: An object of obsessive, usually exaggerated fear or anxiety) of the word 'chemicals' itself:

In chemistry, a chemical substance is a material with a specific chemical composition.

A common example of a chemical substance is pure water; it has the same properties and the same ratio of hydrogen to oxygen whether it is isolated from a river or made in a laboratory. Some typical chemical substances are diamond, gold, salt (sodium chloride) and sugar (sucrose). Generally, chemical substances exist as a solid, liquid, gas, or plasma and may change between these phases of matter with changes in temperature or pressure. Chemical reactions convert one chemical substance into another.

A chemical element is a pure chemical substance consisting of one type of atom distinguished by its atomic number, which is the number of protons in its nucleus. Common examples of elements are iron, copper, silver, gold, hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. In total, 118 elements have been observed as of March 2010, of which 94 occur naturally on Earth.

Good luck finding any products to use that don't contain chemicals. ; )

My point is simple: human beings do many things other creatures do not do. Those things are not inherently bad because we're not still eating only bananas, picking each others fleas, and swinging around in trees. I figured medicine was obvious so I didn't have to mention it; as the determination of BP's safety and effectiveness is a result of years and years and years of medical studies.

And evidently you've missed the multiple studies and research articles about the safety and effectiveness of BP.....30 something years worth.

'Harsh chemicals' is a paranoid person's response to perfectly fine chemicals that that person deems 'unnatural.'

Regarding the bugaboo (definition for those who don't know: An object of obsessive, usually exaggerated fear or anxiety) of the word 'chemicals' itself:

In chemistry, a chemical substance is a material with a specific chemical composition.

A common example of a chemical substance is pure water; it has the same properties and the same ratio of hydrogen to oxygen whether it is isolated from a river or made in a laboratory. Some typical chemical substances are diamond, gold, salt (sodium chloride) and sugar (sucrose). Generally, chemical substances exist as a solid, liquid, gas, or plasma and may change between these phases of matter with changes in temperature or pressure. Chemical reactions convert one chemical substance into another.

A chemical element is a pure chemical substance consisting of one type of atom distinguished by its atomic number, which is the number of protons in its nucleus. Common examples of elements are iron, copper, silver, gold, hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. In total, 118 elements have been observed as of March 2010, of which 94 occur naturally on Earth.

Good luck finding any products to use that don't contain chemicals. ; )

Really the fact that BP has symptoms such as: redness/irritation, itchiness, pealing/dry skin. Should be proof enough that it's not the best option for helping heal skin. -.- Things that are good for your skin shouldn't take weeks for you to "get used to them."If you have to "get used to them" it's because they're not really supposed to be on your skin in the first place. Perhaps me using the word "chemical" was wrong, although I have a feeling you knew I didn't mean non-abrasive chemicals since I stated previously in my post "harsh chemicals" before simply using the word "chemicals." Also, I never state that BP wasn't natural. Toxic waste is TECHNICALLY natural too, do you want that on your face? I'm just saying, both natural. Just cause it's natural doesn't mean it's great.

We do things differently than animals -sometimes- (frankly we are mammals, trying to escape that reality is futile and childish). Doesn't mean that's always a GOOD thing and that we need to keep doing detrimental things to ourselves. I mean hey, humans start wars too and cause mass killing sometimes for fun, doesn't mean that's fine and dandy.

But hey... Enjoy probably never getting rid of acne. :| And dancing around the problem, following what others do as opposed to finding out what's wrong with your skin... Coming off of something your skin CLINGS to to stay clear, after "getting used to it", will be very very difficult. It's your skin, you do what you want~

I don't use BP. But once again you missed my entire point. I give up.

It sure is easy to say that, isn't it? BP may be effective in maintaining acne, but it's no cure, hard to wean off of and harsh for your skin. It's really that simple. It's no wonder no better solutions are found when people are content with the mediocrity that is BP.

You're at the age where some permanent wrinkles start. Don't assume it's from the BP. It was an irresponsible doctor who said the BP is damaging your skin; just look at all the information and studies about the safety and effectiveness of BP....30 something YEARS worth.

Well maybe NOW I'm at that age (24) but at the time when I actually started getting them I was 20... and they were BAD. They appeared out of no where. And they have gotten better over the years from me doing a lot of skin repair, both internally and by using some good natural products on my skin plus glycolic acid. The ONLY reason I'm telling eveyong this is because it was SUCH a bad experience for me. I couldnt even smile without these huge lines forming, I was so sad that at 20 I had these crazy wrinkles. I just dont want anyone else to go through it. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I wish it hadnt happened because I loved the regimen for clearing my skin... but it's just my experience. Maybe it wont happen for other people... maybe my skin is weird... I dont know. PLus my doctor did scare me out of using BP... I actually remember crying after the appointment because he was just so blunt and harsh... I just didnt know what to do with myself.

Well maybe NOW I'm at that age (24) but at the time when I actually started getting them I was 20... and they were BAD. They appeared out of no where. And they have gotten better over the years from me doing a lot of skin repair, both internally and by using some good natural products on my skin plus glycolic acid. The ONLY reason I'm telling eveyong this is because it was SUCH a bad experience for me. I couldnt even smile without these huge lines forming, I was so sad that at 20 I had these crazy wrinkles. I just dont want anyone else to go through it. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I wish it hadnt happened because I loved the regimen for clearing my skin... but it's just my experience. Maybe it wont happen for other people... maybe my skin is weird... I dont know. PLus my doctor did scare me out of using BP... I actually remember crying after the appointment because he was just so blunt and harsh... I just didnt know what to do with myself.

Can you tell what you are using for acne now?

I don't use BP. But once again you missed my entire point. I give up.

It sure is easy to say that, isn't it? BP may be effective in maintaining acne, but it's no cure, hard to wean off of and harsh for your skin. It's really that simple. It's no wonder no better solutions are found when people are content with the mediocrity that is BP.

Once again, BP has 30+ years of studies on its safety and effectiveness. It's really that simple.

PS: The sun also causes irritation, redness and a burning sensation. It's harsh.

It sounds like that doctor was horrible. I hope you didn't go back to him! I've run into egomaniacs like that, too. At that age it's so easy to be hurt by someone we assume has our best interests at heart. I'm sorry that happened to you! That's completely not right! If something like that ever happens again, take it upon yourself to report the person to his/her boss. Or find your way up the corporate structure to report the issue. Sometimes being proactive and standing up for yourself REALLY HELPS. Seriously. :)

But on to the wrinkles thing: genetics and environmental factors have a lot to do with the formation of wrinkles and when we get them. Some people start getting wrinkles in their early 20's even. Aging sucks! But I'm also glad you've found the benefits of glycolic acid. It is wonderful.

My genetics are such that even at 42 I have very few wrinkles; plus I'm careful about suntanning and sun exposure. And taking very good care of my skin in general. That's the legacy of having had acne: learning about skin care and how to best treat one's own skin! :)

I have the same problem of acne.

It was too much that no home or natural remedy worked.

that's why I meat to a dermatologist of California named Dr. Simon Ourian at Epione Medical Corporation. He is the best dermatologist of the city. he returns me my confidence or glowing skin once again.

I am thankful to Dr. Ourian.

Hello sweetie, you don't need to worry cos every wrinkles has got a solution. my cousin had it once when i asked her what cleared her wrinkles she said somebody directed her to check on one useful websites and that was it, check to see if it will assist you...

Edited by Tony Smith

I think you're mistaken. Beavers build bridges across rivers. There are years of evidence and Discovery Channel episodes to back that up.

I think you're mistaken. Beavers build bridges across rivers. There are years of evidence and Discovery Channel episodes to back that up.

Way to ignore the point. :P