Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bennyb

Can you take probiotics during a course of antibiotics?

I just bought some coconut kefir and I am looking to try to maintain a healthy gut while on doxycycline. I have heard that taking probiotics can hurt the affectiveness of the antibiotic though. Please let me know if this is correct or not? Also, I am slowly trying to reintegrate natural sugars (such as from fruit) back into my diet and this kefir only contains 3 g of sugar per serving which was the lowest I could find. Do you guys think this would be alright to start taking? Thanks.

i believe your only suppose to take them after you stop taking antibiotics....ask a pharmacist to be sure though. :)

I have heard arguments on both sides about this one. Some say that probiotics can help with stomach discomfort while on antibiotics. Others say it's pointless because the antibiotics will kill the probiotics.

In the past, I would take a probiotic at night, while on antibiotics during the day (doctor approved). I then increased probiotic use after the antibiotic course.

been doing it for 2 months...

I was taking probiotics for a while before starting the antibiotics, and will continue to for a while after ( I am taking antibiotoics every other day right now and weaning myself off of them)

Alright I am just going to call my derm and ask just to be safe cuz of the differing answers. Thanks.