Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey guys and gals.

Well today was my FIRST appointment ever with a Dermo.

Basically my acne problem is blocked pores and skin picking.

so what he recommended I try first is

am: Differin Gel

pm: Duac Gel

and use a moisturiser when needed, since these dry the skin out. and with a cleanser make sure it has no other active ingredients.

now... does this sound like a good plan of action?

My head is ALL over the place now as to what I should try, to the point where I feel scared to even think about putting something on my face and hoping it dosnt get worse.

If someone can help me take the plunge or wether i should try something else first PLEASE help

thanks v much. I eagerly await your response

Edited by want2beme

either that or jump straight onto a low dose of accutane in his words,

"even though your acne isn't to bad you could go onto the tablet if you wanted to. its a strong form of vitamin A, and it has side effects such as dry lips dry skin, but one things for sure, it works"

"even though your acne isn't to bad you could go onto the tablet if you wanted to. its a strong form of vitamin A, and it has side effects such as dry lips dry skin, but one things for sure, it works"

If you can go on accutane jump on that wagon!!! Dont even bother messing around with the other stuff that may or may not even work. I wish I was in your place :(

did you just answer your own question?

not really, accutane i have heard many horror stories about :( like its not just clear skin, you have to look out for your overall health, it just dont seem worth it. some one in the tane forum was saying how they constantly ache etc

i really dont want to regret taking it

red, whats your situation? you trying to get hole of tane?

Edited by want2beme

I've had Duac gel for the last two years, while it's decent for spots it won't shift your blackheads. And to be truthfully honest, nothing will apart from Accutane, the best you can hope for is reducing them or minimising their appearance.

IMO, if your skin is something that bothers you every day and you feel it's stopping you from doing certain things, I reckon you should give Accutane a go. It may not be nice or comfortable for the duration you're on it, but think after that if it does work you will never have to worry about it again. A few months of discomfort to sort out something that effects your day to day life is definitely worth it.

But, it's ultimately how you feel, if you lead a good life with your skin only being a minor concern, then maybe yeah Accutane is a bit of an extreme treatment.

yeh but there is always the risk! lol

how does accutane stop the spots from coming back once treatment is done? i dont get that.

also, its a strong drug used for cancers of the brain. surely isnt worth taking it for acne? unless its a bad case etc.

Think im'a be brave and just continue to fight it without that stuff. and i am approaching 23 and thats when my dad's spots stopped

I've said this in another forum, but if your derm is offering it, it may be the best option. Some people have to go through endless creams and antibiotics just to get to accutane, which is to all intents and purposes, a cure. Also, I never understand the argument that because it was used for treating cancers it must be bad, it's a meaningless argument. I think the idea is it reduced the size and output of the sebaceous glands, possibly permanently, though the meachanism isn't known. It may also stabilise keratinization of the skin, helping to stop the plugs from forming.

If you are truly concerned, I would talk candidly with your dermatologist. They know more about the medications than anyone and can answer your questions, including giving you signs to watch for if you are truly worried about adverse effects.

I finally found an excellent one, and she is more than happy to answer questions no matter how silly I think they may sound. I would rather ask her than risk anything reacting to each other.

I would just call them back, and ask the questions. From what I have seen they would rather you ask questions and tell them your concerns rather than sitting there nodding :)

If there's no danger of major scarring, as in you don't have cystic acne.. I would at least try the topicals he's giving you. Imho, with a pricy prescription like duac, you can't use enough bp to really clear everything... i would actually supplement with Dans bp, when your skin is adjusted.

Accutane helped me a lot, but also caused some side-effects that I'll be dealing with for a long time. If i had to go back i would still do it, but i was scarring all over the place.

using all these topicals ruines the texture of my skin though, which is why id rather have a few spots and nice texture even skin tone, than clear but dull blotchy red dry skin etc

i just feel that you need to allow the body to heal itself. i will be getting sun sea and sand very soon so i am hopeful that this will help. and stress level's will drop to :D

i do still think about a low dose of accutane, so it would stop this small ones that come through and always tempt me to pick or squeeze them! grr.

Edited by .JacktheLad.

Accutane seems a bit risky to me also. I've actually started seeing commercials from law firms trying to reach the public if they've had accutane side affects, that they may be entitled to a settlement or something. The scary thing about accutane is that some of the very serious problems may not show up until later in your life. I prefer not to risk getting crippling arthritis or losing my vision thanks.

Jack you have been posting so much and asking so much about Differin, which is great, but I think you need to start it!! The best experience is the one you can get for yourself. You have to jump in buddy.

i think i'm in a similar position you are. i went to my first derm appt and she was like, "antibiotics for over a year, epiduo, and differin. if that doesnt work we'll give accutane a shot." all in 5 min tops. i was thinking, "woah lady calm down its just acne not cancer." i'm currently on BC and just started differin. as much as i hate meds and am all about being natural i've accepted the fact that the natural stuff doesn't work for me and i need something stronger. i refuse to take antibiotics under any circumstances just for acne. i'm also just about to turn 23 and acne runs in my fam till about 23-25 so another reason why i refuse to try the more serious stuff.

however, i think that coming on this site or the web and reading all these "horror" stories is sometimes bad. for the majority of people these products do work and are good products hence why they were developed and are prescribed. the thousand or so people on this site with problems are in the minority.

to end this rant my sugesstion is if you've tried BP and all the more natural methods and they don't work accept the fact you need something stronger and go for the differin. i personally would just try the differin and see if it works. if it doesnt add the duac and see if it makes a difference. worry about the tane later. if you still have acne when your 25 or older than consider tane.

Edited by special

Guest Timehealsall

yea, but what if you have acne that can scar you?