Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dogend

49 Year old male after 1 week on the treatment

Hi All,

I'm nearly 50, I've had cystic breakouts routinely all my adult life, nothing horrendous, nothing that stops traffic, but enough to really p me off.

Strangely, I'd get 90% of them on the chin area, the jaw line or below my bottom lip. If I grew a generous goatee, I could probably hide most of them, but I hate beards, especially grey ones!

I'm a freelance IT consultant, I work with some major companies who trust me to work on their company computer networks, and I use to dread those brightly lit meeting rooms, face to face across the table with everyone looking at the painful cysts developing on the chin. I've had times where I'd squeeze a white head in the car 5 mins before the meeting, so at least it was red and not white.

I've tried the off-the-shelf stuff mostly, and early last year the doctor put me on Tetracycline, this did work for about 6 months but then stopped, so she switched me to Minocycline, she also booked me a visit to the dermatologist. I had to wait 8 weeks for an appointment.

I'd planned to beg for Accutane but the Minocycline was helping enough for her to persuade me to persist with it.

The Minocycline was effective on those painful, deep spots but, as before, after about 4 months I started to notice the chin spots returning, along with a rash of small white heads on the front of my chin under my lips.

I've made another appointment now to see the derm but at the same time I ordered the treatment starter kit from Dan, it took a few days to arrive in the UK, but I started using it last week and WOW, I've very impressed!!!!!!

The rash cleared the next day, the larger chin spots have stopped coming too, I'm still on the Minocycline but using the BP has had a remarkable effect, the skin looks 100 times better, as you know with spots, even when the white head has gone, it can take ages for the redness to disappear but now after a week, the skin is an even colour.

Now, I've a dilemma, I’m seeing the derm in a few weeks but my spots have practically disappeared, I can’t ask for Accutane now, do I stop the Minocycline and stay on the BP.

I’m use to treatments ceasing to work after a few weeks, does this happen with the BP?

Doesn’t the acne bacteria become immune to the Benzoyl over time?

Right now it’s working extremely well, many thanks Dan, you deserve a Noble

Welcome Dogend. I think BP is a great choice for you. Per my dermatologist, skin does not get immune to BP which is a lovely thing (just too powerful for my skin, but works for many. :) No worries!

Welcome Dogend. I think BP is a great choice for you. Per my dermatologist, skin does not get immune to BP which is a lovely thing (just too powerful for my skin, but works for many. :) No worries!

Hello ckko25,

Many thanks for the reply, I'm new, you're a veteran, so what do I know but may I suggest you 'zap' those spots.

i.e. use a match head sized amount of BP and apply it to just the heads of the spots, rather than spread it over the skin, I was attending a school reunion last Saturday and had pretty clear skin except 1 single white head developing right on the edge of my top lip, typical eh, 30 years since I'd seen old classmates and I had an f***in' top lip spot.

I got to my hotel room early afternoon and zapped that thing, just hitting that 1 tiny point, not using any moisturiser either, I basically dried it out and lightly needled it before going out, it worked too.

Good luck with whatever works for you

Cheers Dogend

Well done for posting. It's important that people understand how the regimen works for other people.

Many thanks Mr Jay,

I've been using the treatment for 2 weeks now and this weekend decided to drop the Minocycline tablets which I've been taking all year.

I've read that once stopping the Minocycline, the acne can return with a vengence, so I'll wait and see!

So far so good, 2 weeks on BP, 3rd day off Mino, just an occasional spot here and there, mostly around the top lip line for some reason, but nothing painful or deep, just annoyingly hard to clear up.

I find I can use 3 BP treatments a day without undue peeling, I also started using Dr Bronner's liquid soap (Tea Tree) which makes the skin feel exceptionally clean, I use Dan's recommended soap now for shaving only. Living in the UK means the treatment cost $39, plus about the same for shipping and then I was hit by a £14 ($20) fee by the courier for some reason, so want to make the stuff last as long as possible.

I have to say, my chin is completely clear.

I'll add to this account every week or so as the Minocycline probably takes awhile to clear the system

Cheers Tony

PS, I'll take a face shot, fully into the midday sun with the mobile

post-129350-1274698989_thumb.jpg

post-129350-1274698989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dogend

Your skin looks really clear, congrats.

It's always nice to see people finding something that works for them, especially a long term sufferer like yourself.

Your skin looks so clear! Got my fingers crossed for you. Just continue with the Regimen, and if you have any problems remember that it works best if it's followed precisely.

Good luck!

You can´t take an antibiotic like tetracycline for 6 months .. you just will increase chances of resistance. You take it for 2 to 3 months and when you are clear, you reduce intake then stop. Let pass another two to three month and back again.

BUT, the idea is to use it to be clear and then find your way to reduce your acne by researching and testing on the chin area with some products like BP, etc. For instance, I am using Azelaic Acid ONLY on the chin area at nights and a little bit of Tea Tree Oil mixed in the moisturizer in the day. If you have some specific area, a strongpoint, you should use BP.

Cheers!

Edited by Corsair

Hi Corsair,

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't aware of the time limits on the antibiotics to be honest, but I'm trying to stay off them anyhow, it can't be a good thing to be continually swallowing pills.

I'm sticking with the regimen and its proving 95% effective.

Acne, as you may know, actually has a mind of its own, and will move to another site on the face when under attack, or pop up when you have a date or an interview :-)

Mine seems to have left the jaw line area and has decided to move north to fresh hunting grounds around the top lips and nose.

Cheers

I'm glad is working for you. And you are right, acne moves to other parts. In my case, I just use BP 2,5% in some parts that I call strongholds, then moisturizer. For the rest I put some tea tree oil with the moisturizer. The good thing about that is that my face is not much red. I believe that, when a face is healthy, you return to a normal, natural color meaning the Face is able to keep bacteria at bay. So for those parts of my face that do not break out, I try to minimize the treatment, let my body learn to improve itself. ...

Anyway, good luck!

Stick with it. BP is the most clinically proven effective treatment for acne and it's cheap and safe, been around for about a century now. Read Dan's story it covers every aspect you talk about.

The only down side, it bleaches clothes! But I can live with that, just buy cheap T-Shirts and try and be careful. The combination of AHA with BP for me got me from 90% (BP Only) to 99.9% (BP with Lactic Acid) clear, not so as you'd notice the .01% :-) .

Edited by Rubbish

For your concerns about the acne becoming immune to the BP...its basically impossible, acne bacteria cannot live in oxygenated environments, the BP oxygenates the pores in which the bacteria cannot survive in, it works by making the skin inhabitable, not by actually attacking it directly.

If you apply too much it can have an adverse effect on your skin though. Take me for example, 5% BP all over my face twice a day. Worked like a dream 2-3 years ago, now it's becoming less effective and im breaking out more.

I'm pretty sure my skin is becoming mildly resistance to it.

If the oxidant agent (h202) acts as it should, bacteria also should suffer lost because oxidation. Now, in my view, when you attack bacteria like Acnes, the best is to let your body to learn to protect itself and also, in this case, I would use other agents, like Tea Tree Oil, in order for bacteria to avoid counter reaction. If you use the same thing all the time, bacteria might find the way to survive. So let your body defend and use other bacteria killers, besides BP. Surprise bacteria.

Hello,

I said I'd post an update after a week so here it is!

I've been completely clear for 5 days now, off the minocycline for over a week too.

The treatment is really working well, I'm very impressed, it's such a simple method, I wish I'd heard of it before.

My son, who is 15 has 'teenage acne', spotty areas around his face, cheeks and nose, I debated whether to allow him to try this, as I thought his skin might be too sensitive and well... he'd probably grow out of it in time, anyhow he gets plenty of female attention as it, is so I thought he was doing ok.

Then I realised what a lousy Dad I was being, letting him walk around all day with acne whilst I had a possible antidote.

He started last week and his skin did appear redder, I applied it for him, only once a day, as I was worried about the eye area, the effects of the BP were visible after 24 hours. Eruptions were cut significantly. He still gets the occasional nasty, but on the whole they are much less frequent. The red areas left by acne are fading too, which goes a long way to improving the overall appearance of his skin.

I've now noticed the BP tube is not where I left it each morning, and is getting lighter by the day, I guess he'll have more teenage girls asking for his number now... oh to be young!

Do I keep applying BP on clear skin?

I'm tempted to stop the treatment to see what happens... nah, not for 3 months I reckon.

Good luck all, if you find your skin is too sensitive for the 2.5% BP, try only applying once a day or every other day, with plenty of moisturiser once its soaked in, carry a small tube of moisturiser with you and top up in the bathroom if necessary, I think its far better to have dry flaky skin than sore looking white heads showing to the world.

Cheers Tony