Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lara6

Nuts and seeds

I've learned that peanut butter, almonds and walnuts break me out.

I also recently noticed that I break out whenever I eat hummus. I couldn't figure out why until it was mentioned that hummus is made with tahini (sesame seeds).

If I'm sensitive to nuts and sesame seed, does this mean I'm allergic to ALL seeds (ie. flax, sunflower)??

Thanks!

Allergies and sensitivities are two different things. Google it for more info.

But the basic difference is this: an actual allergy will cause an immediate immune response: ie: cough, hives, rash, head-ache etc. While a sensitivity's response can take anywhere from 8-72 hours to show any signs such as acne.

As far as a sensitivity goes, if your breaking out from a wide variety of nuts and seeds, its probably best to avoid them for a while and see if you notice a difference. Why take a chance on something and then play russian roulette with your face?

PANIC

if they are making you break out i'd stop eating it.....maybe try one at a time a few weeks apart to see if you react to all of the different nuts that you like if you really want to keep eating them....

Allergies and sensitivities are two different things. Google it for more info.

But the basic difference is this: an actual allergy will cause an immediate immune response: ie: cough, hives, rash, head-ache etc. While a sensitivity's response can take anywhere from 8-72 hours to show any signs such as acne.

There's a delayed immune response involving different type antibody as well. And there's food sensitivities that don't involve the immune system.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/IgE-vs-Ig...le-t200416.html

I've learned that peanut butter, almonds and walnuts break me out.

I also recently noticed that I break out whenever I eat hummus. I couldn't figure out why until it was mentioned that hummus is made with tahini (sesame seeds).

If I'm sensitive to nuts and sesame seed, does this mean I'm allergic to ALL seeds (ie. flax, sunflower)??

Thanks!

Hummus is also made with garbonzo beans, a legume (just like peanuts) which you could also be allergic to. And no, it doesn't mean you are allergic to all seeds. You will have to figure out which via an elimination diet.

Edited by alternativista