Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So we all know the detrimental effects of picking and squeezing at our faces - redness, bleeding, scabs, deep red marks that take forever to fade, rough skin texture, etc.. Does anyone have anything positive and encouraging to say about leaving a pimple alone to heal by itself? Has a zit simply went away on its own due to keeping a hands off approach?

Most of the time we think that leaving a pimple alone only slows the healing process, so we attempt to pick out the problem, but that usually just makes it 10x worse!

I recently drank a tall glass of chocolate milk (real milk) after probably years and the very next day I got a medium sized pimple by my mouth. I've been clear for months so this zit is horrifying because it reminds me of all the suffering I've had over the years dealing with acne. But I decided not to pick at it and just let it be. It's taking all my strength not to touch it, so I was just hoping that a few of you could share some success stories to help us all. We all KNOW that we shouldn't touch our acne, but hearing about others experiences is so much more motivating. I'd love to squeeze this sucker to death but I know that I'll just make it redder...

Edited by lightersUP

yeah i pick at everything. even smallll things that you can only see at point blank range.

i had a stupid spot come up on my cheek well a deep one. i applied BHA which normally clears or brings them out. not this one. It was sore..

so i squeezed it and it gave way a little bit. I know there is more in it, but its red and bruised enough.

also picked a very small pimple on my left cheek where you smile, and now thats bled and scabbing.

very dark in colour. cant bring myself to photo it.

im seeing a derm tomorrow to see what can be done about the old dark patches or what not. and see if he can help me figure out what it is thats causing my blocked pores.

i knew i shouldnt have gone to town on that pimple. its ruined my cheek. I have my sisters wedding in 4.5 days

Edited by want2beme

Awhile ago I had two pimples in the same areas on both sides of my face (for some reason my acne tends to be symmetrical ... ha, ha) and I decided to leave one of them alone and attack the other one. I don't really remember what the results were ... I may have gotten fed up with the non-popped one and popped it later, or something. Anytime that I tried to leave a pimple alone, it always popped by itself in the shower or during some other time.

So now I am trying to leave my face alone. I didn't even realize I was a compulsive skin picker until recently ... I think I've convinced myself that the only way it will heal is if I pop it.

My attempt at positivity: it's definitely safer to refrain from popping a pimple because then there will be no risk of gushing blood and/or fingernail markings on your skin! YAY!

Edited by ppopsicle

hey so i made a MESS outta my skin.... by picking at it of course.... i still have these 2 really red marks/ pimples ( i can still feel they are lumpy) that are really embarassing... does anyone have any advice as to what i should or shouldnt put on it and about how long can i expect these nasty red marks to be around for? please any advice would be greatly appreciated.. thanks. =)

hey so i made a MESS outta my skin.... by picking at it of course.... i still have these 2 really red marks/ pimples ( i can still feel they are lumpy) that are really embarassing... does anyone have any advice as to what i should or shouldnt put on it and about how long can i expect these nasty red marks to be around for? please any advice would be greatly appreciated.. thanks. =)

See link in my signature that starts "What to do..." as it contains some info that may help with PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) or red marks.

Also peruse the Red/Dark Marks left after acne forum. There are some helpful pinned posts in there.

I never pick at my skin and two things usually occur: either the pimple shrinks and then becomes flaky (my favorite) or it becomes very tender and pops on it's own.

Guest beccaboo00

hey guys

what i've found to work great to keep from popping the pimple is to put something on it.

i usually put queen helene mint julep mask on it and i wont touch it because i think if i touch it the whole point of the masque wont work.

also honey and cover with a bandaid sometimes it works great other times not so much.

just find something to cover it and you should be ok.

I never pick at my skin and two things usually occur: either the pimple shrinks and then becomes flaky (my favorite) or it becomes very tender and pops on it's own.

I love you. xD

horror story?

one time, i was completely clear. or at least, 98-99% clear, and i was feeling great. i was going to wear some of my better clothes, maybe put on some extra accessories just to stand out that day, and when i was walking to the shower, i caught a dot in the mirror. it was by my eye (A VERY tender area), and i went to look at it, and it turned out it was pretty decent size, but very pink so it was hard to notice. i felt over it, and there was alittle bump, but nothing ready to be popped or anything. too bad i tried popping anyway, and it didn't give way. so i tried more. and we're talking this is my eye area, so im squeezing a VERY thin film of skin, and i'm squeezing hard. so eventually it just becomes a huge ball of redness by my eye.

the next day, it did finally get enough pus and become poppable, which i did, and i had an ugly, UGLY red mark-scab thing there for about two-three weeks. the red mark lasted 7-8 months.

that story pretty much stopped me from picking anything else.

I just picked a small whitehead by my mouth earlier this week, and it's now a redmark. Even though it was hardly noticeable as a whitehead, I'll probably be dealing with the redmark for at least a few weeks. We've all been through this!

I know exactly what will happen when I pick at a pimple but it's still hard for me to keep away. Everytime I see or even feel a blemish on my face I just get this strong urge to get the gunk out by any means necessary. While I'm definitely not as bad a picker as I was in the past, I still get that urge to just dig everything out - but for the most part I don't do it. I've been clear for awhile now so this small redmark by my mouth is definitely teaching me yet another lesson not to pick at any future pimples.

It's fairly simple. Picking = redmarks. Not picking = no redmark. There was one pimple I had on my jawline that I distinctly remember. I left this pimple alone for about 3-4 days and watched it ripen on my face, the whitehead seeming to grow a little and become pressurized. After I couldn't take it any longer, I gave the whitehead a little squeeze and it literally burst with no effort at all. Afterward, there was no evidence or redmark AT ALL. I saw firsthand that our skin has the ability to properly heal itself if we just give it enough time to. I think that we all need to trust in our skin's regenerative properties and not freak out so much over a random whitehead here or there. My skin is pretty much clear but skin picking can definitely change that in an instant. I don't wanna relapse and go back to attacking everything on my face, so I'm back here trying to identify the issue and prevent future pick sessions.

So anyway, just wanted to document this realization and hope that this one pimple that I've picked will be my last one in 2011. When I catch myself getting too close to the mirror, I keep reminding myself that I'm just going to make things worse if I pick at things that aren't ready to come out yet. The best thing to do is let those pimples ripen and pop on their own schedule! What's worse, a few days with a whitehead, or WEEKS with a redmark??

Edited by lightersUP

Guest Timehealsall
So we all know the detrimental effects of picking and squeezing at our faces - redness, bleeding, scabs, deep red marks that take forever to fade, rough skin texture, etc.. Does anyone have anything positive and encouraging to say about leaving a pimple alone to heal by itself? Has a zit simply went away on its own due to keeping a hands off approach?

Most of the time we think that leaving a pimple alone only slows the healing process, so we attempt to pick out the problem, but that usually just makes it 10x worse!

I recently drank a tall glass of chocolate milk (real milk) after probably years and the very next day I got a medium sized pimple by my mouth. I've been clear for months so this zit is horrifying because it reminds me of all the suffering I've had over the years dealing with acne. But I decided not to pick at it and just let it be. It's taking all my strength not to touch it, so I was just hoping that a few of you could share some success stories to help us all. We all KNOW that we shouldn't touch our acne, but hearing about others experiences is so much more motivating. I'd love to squeeze this sucker to death but I know that I'll just make it redder...

why not just put some BP on it.