Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In short: I used a pore clogging product about two months ago, started breaking out one month ago, and am still not back to normal. Do y'all think it will end soon?

The long version: I've used olive oil in the past with mixed results - I liked it but suspected it was clogging my pores. (I'm pretty sure the olive oil is the culprit in this story, but that's really besides the point - it was either the olive oil or a new primer I got, and I quit both.)

I tried it again, about two months ago. I started out with pretty much clear skin. For about a month, it made my skin look perfect...then BAM! Huge breakout, the worst in probably a year.

That big breakout was about a month ago. About two weeks ago, I had another breakout - not as bad, but still nothing I'm used to. One week ago, another one. And just today, I was thinking how great my skin looked...then hours later, I notice several new pimples have cropped up. AH!

It's horrible cycle: I alternate between almost totally clear skin and broken out - there's no middle ground. It gets my hopes up so much - as each breakout heals, my skin looks great and I think it's getting back to normal...then as I sigh that huge sigh of relief, I notice all these pimples and I'm back at square one. It's not as bad as that first breakout, but still - I haven't broken out like this since last year! I want my skin back from before I tried the olive oil :(

Does anyone have any idea when these recurring breakouts will end??? I only used olive oil for a month, it can't ruin my skin forever!

PS. Sorry that was so long ;)

hmm, have you tried using anti acne products?

or probably try bha to clear the skin from underneath.

hmm does your skin have lots of skin coloured bumps?

hmm..

Edited by lovelystars

hmm, have you tried using anti acne products?

or probably try bha to clear the skin from underneath.

hmm does your skin have lots of skin coloured bumps?

hmm..

yeah, i'm on pretty much the same stuff that gave me good skin before, plus some additional spot treatment. i don't think i can do much more without drying my skin out etc., so i'm just wondering how long i'm going to keep breaking out like this :P

it's not really skin coloured bumps, just regular pimples.

thanks for the reply!

Might the cyclical breakouts be related to your menses cycle? You might try Aleve. It's hard to say what caused your breakout; there are myriads of factors in your daily life, not just the olive oil. If you haven't used it in two months I don't see it as the cause of the most recent breakouts.

I'm no expert but if the olive oil was going to clog your pores, one would think that it wouldn't take a whole month for the pimples to show up... Also, it's not clogging your pores now if you don't use it anymore...

Edited by norutrat

Y'all have helped me see sense, it probably wasn't just the olive oil. It was just so out of the blue that I immediately jumped to that conclusion :rolleyes:

The breakouts do seem to be winding down (knock on wood) so I'm going to hope it's just one of those mysterious skin freak-outs and will never resurface!

PS Wynne: I did some research and I definitely plan on trying your Aleve idea. Thanks!

I'm no expert but if the olive oil was going to clog your pores, one would think that it wouldn't take a whole month for the pimples to show up... Also, it's not clogging your pores now if you don't use it anymore...

Hm. I was under the impression that it usually takes about a month/three weeks etc. for the pimples to fully form after the product clogs your pores...

mmh I dont know but if I put some Crisco on my face, I'm sure I wont have to wait a full month for the pimples to apear... more like the next day hehe

Edited by norutrat

Hm. I was under the impression that it usually takes about a month/three weeks etc. for the pimples to fully form after the product clogs your pores...

mmh I dont know but if I put some Crisco on my face, I'm sure I wont have to wait a full month for the pimples to apear... more like the next day hehe

good point :lol:

If it is too much, take antibiotics (tetracycline). When you test something, make that on only a part of your face, an acne's stronghold. If you have parts that never got acne, leave those part alone.

I seriously doubt it was due to olive oil in your case.

Although i do heard cases ppl subsitube makeup remover to olive oil and get serious breakout,

BUTBUT, I seriously doubt your case is.

Basically it's over a month.

Since when clogged pores take so long to form acne???

If so, many ppl who se acne caused by clogged pore, woul only exp acne once a month.

Thought of your period could be the case?