Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thebignosebandit

The BigNoseBandit VS. Acne - My Accutane Journal

I've heard the horror stories, I've seen the dry lips, the hair loss, and the dry eyes. I've heard of the depression, the bone aches and suicide cases. Nonetheless, tomorrow, I've decided to take the plunge and pop my first pill of Accutane. Acne has played too big a role in my mild case of social anxiety and depression, and Accutane seems to be the only thing that can lead me along the path to clear skin so i can join the rest of the world and live a normal life.

Brief History- I'm a 19 year old male who suffers from moderate acne and very oily skin on my cheeks, back and chest. I've suffered from mild acne since i was 16, and recently my acne has consistently been moderate. My acne mainly consists of nodules, a few cysts, and a few whiteheads. I've been through many antibiotics, retin a, and clindamycin, with temporary success.

This journal is intended to share my own experience with this medication for the many potential users who are trying to assess the benefits and risks associated with this drug. I hope that my experience can help many of you who are having trouble figuring out if accutane is right for you.

My Current Regimen -

Morning -

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser Face Wash

Enthyromicin Antibiotic Topical

40 mg Accutane Pill

Night-

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser Face Wash

Enthyromicin Antibiotic Topical

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% Spot Treatment Topical (light use to help combat any possible initial breakouts)

40 mg Accutane Pill

Wish Me Luck! Hopefully 6 months from now i can enjoy a clear complexion that will last the rest of my life!

Good luck.... Im 18 and I might be going on Accutane next week.... like you all those side effects deter me from going on it but a clear (or clearer) complexion might make up for it....

Day 1 Report:

Another Day, Same Old Poop........Have seen no changes in my skin or acne, obviously because its way too early in the treatment to notice anything. I currently have one cyst on my face, and its on its way to death.......the rest of my face is suprisingly clear, however im still quite oily.

Day 2 Report:

Well, my face is completely clear, i know its not the accutane, its to early for that,but i dont have any active acne on my face as we speak! i do have quite a few red marks. But, my face is STILL oily, my lips arent really dry yet, however, throughout my entire day today, ive experience migrane headaches, off and on, i usually only get headaches maybe once every 2 weeks. i hope this doesnt persist! i hope my skin gets drier too!

Good luck with your endeavor! I wish you all the best of success with this. But do remember, that this is not the only and final answer. If for some reason you need to make a change, or don't like the treatment, there are still other options. In fact, your cleansing program looks awfully good by itself. My doc told me that often they prescribe the various anti-biotics to jump start things and to kill off infection, but then use maintenance products after the end of the antibiotics to keep things clear. His maintenance product of choice for women is Ortho Tri Cyclen (Birth control pill) and I was just thinking that BP could be the maintenance product just as easily (for men or women). So, you're got a good cleansing routine, and you've got your accutane. Your set up for success, but remember there are more roads than this one. No one is EVER at their last hope smile.gif

^^thank betterdays. a lot of times it feels like there is no hope, no solution, thats really good to hear, it gives me hope in surviving this disease.

Day 3 Report - Still Clear!! I'm sure its too soon to speak, and this 'clearness' is mere luck and coincidence, has nothing to do with the accutane because its way too early. Welll, i began to feel slight stinging sensation every now and then around my nose and lips, nothing bad. Skin is slightly drier, but by the end of the day im still a bit oily. The headaches went away. Im still keeping up with BP and enthyromicin, so far so good!!! no major side effects, and clear skin.

Day 5 Report:

Got 1 tiny zit on my forehead, went away over night. Rest of my face is clear of active acne. My skin is still oily by the end of the day.

Side Effects:

Slightly drier lips

Slighty drier nostrils.

Stomach Cramps

Slightly Dry Eyes.

To be honest i though the side effects were gonna be a little more brutal, so far its been really easy. i wish i had dry skin though.

Day 6 Report:

Ouch! Got 2 decent sized pimples in my inner cheek. they have slowly risen, and will probably stick around for the next few days. The rest of my face is clear.

Side Effects:

Lips a little bit drier.

Skin still oily by the end of the day, maybe not as oily as before, but still oily.

Eyes slightly dry.

Just when i thought i'd be clear for good, these 2 pimps remind of what life with acne is like. *sigh* oh well, im so thankful that im on this amazing drug anyways.

Day 8 Report :

2 small zits linger on my inner cheek. Rest of my face is clear. Face still gets a bit oily, not as much as before, but it still bothers me. My lips are getting very chapped, and begin to sting during the day. Anyways, im hoping that things will get better.

Day 28 Report:

Its been a long time since ive updated this journal, and fortunately at the same time its been a long time since ive had a zit. I've been on vacation for the past 3 weeks and i havent had a single zit. I'm still currently on 80 mg of accutane a day. My face has had no acne blemishes, and has been 100% clear. It truely is amazing, no worries, i wake up in the morning with so much optimism, i go out so much more, life without acne is so much better, of course, it doesnt solve all your problems, but it does solve a lot.

however, it is still too early to make any conclusions, but everything seems so great.

Side Effects:

My lips get severely chapped within 1 hour of walking out the shower, they peel and sometimes bleed, people think im doing cocaine because my lips are so white and chapped. I have found that vaseline works much better than most lip balms, i apply it every 3 hours to keep my lips from chapping.

My skin isnt completely dry. My t zone still gets a little oily and shiny, im hoping this will go away.

Mentally im very stable, in fact a lot better than before accutane, no bone aches, and no dry eyes, i feel great. however, while i was on vacation i found i got a little tired and lazy at times, i dont know if this is accutane related, who knows.......

anyways, so far i am so happy i took this drug, i suggest many of you look into it and make a decision yourself.

Day 33 Report:

I'm back with some not so good news. After living in pure bliss......ya......well clear skin......for nearly a month.......i get medium sized pimple nodule, and a tiny zit, all of a sudden i feel like crap again.

Side Effects:

lips are still chapped.

skin is drier, but still gets a little oily.

Played basketball yesterday, and my legs ache, i dunno if this is accutane related.

im also very tired.

Mentally i'm totally fine, no depression or anything.

yeah, they hype up some of the side effects, but some of them aren't really that likely, unless you're on a super high dose. Accutane didn't work for me, but optimistically thinking I believe that it helped get things under control a little more.

I found that the depression only occurred when it didn't work. But it's working for you and that's great! Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

6 Week Report:

I don't really have any active acne, but my skin still kinda looks like shit. My skin is waxy, shiny, and fragile. My red marks are very visible. Worst of all, at the end of the day, my skin still gets oily, not as much as before, but still, i can't stand it.

However, im very pleased that i don't have much active acne.

Side Effects:

Dry lips.

Thats about it.

Hiya,

Sounds like the accutane is working pretty well for you, which is great. I took the stuff for six months, as according to the doc I had 'severe' acne (I liked to think of ugly red lumps all over face and back as 'mild' but hey) but after six months on the accutane I didn't have any spots at all. I didn't get any of the scary mood-swing, depression-type side effects - just the ridiculously sensitive nostrils and horrible peely lips.

It's now five years later and most of the time my skin's not too bad. I still think of myself as being covered in spots, but when I see pictures of how my skin looked before, I know my skin's basically clear now, so don't get too down if you have a bad day on it - mine cleared up completely for about three years after I stopped taking the accutane. I've got a bit of scarring now, which people tell me is not noticeable, but not many spots.

Best wishes - keep smiling smile.gif

6 Week Report: (my last post was really like a month report or so)

My skin has no active acne. This makes me happy.

However!

Does my skin look good? NO

My skin and their marks are more apparent, more red than usual. My skin also has a shiny, waxy look to it. Also, my skin still gets oily at the end of the day.

I'm very happy that things seeme to be working well, but i wish the oil would subside. the oil bothers me just as much as acne. i hate walking around with a shiny, greasy face.

my lips are still very chapped, other than that, side effects are fine.