Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marshmelly

Forehead Acne - what to do?

Hello everyone...I am new here :rolleyes: I was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem! Sorry if this is long.

I'm 23 and have combination skin (usually oily on the forehead and dry around the chin area). I used to never really get acne very often...maybe a couple pimples here and there but they wouldn't stay around. As of about 5 months ago though, I noticed that I was starting to get acne more frequently on my forehead. By March/April, it was basically covering my entire forehead (lots of small red bumps) I had changed nothing with my skin care routine, detergent, medication, etc (which is why the fact that this is happening confuses me). It seems to almost go in a cycle...one day it'll start with maybe a couple bumps, then by the next day it will flare up even more, next day it will be covering almost my entire forehead and will stay for a few days, then start to go away and the following week it will be completely clear (my skin would be perfect and glowing)...then the cycle will repeat the next week. I thought it might be hormonal acne, but I'm on birth control (yasmin) and have been for about 2 years. I have been starting to write down when I get it in relation to my period, though...just to see if there's a correlation.

My routine for about a year or so up until last month was a cleanser in the morning and exfoliation at night, followed by a salicylic acid solution (I am not sure the % but I believe its low) and then moisturizer. I would also use benzoyl peroxide cream when needed if I got a pimple. About a month ago I started cutting out the exfoliation to a couple times a week and use the benzoyl peroxide cream twice a day. Nothing really seems to be preventing it though...which is more my issue than it going away, since it does always go away but then comes back.

Here are some other skin-related issues that I have (I am not sure if they are related in any way, but maybe they could be): I started getting hives on my legs and back about a year or so ago. My allergist said she doesn't know what is causing them but prescribed an allergy medicine for me which prevents them if I take it daily. I have seborrheic dermatitis which I've probably always had, but went to the dermatologist for in high school. She said to use Nizoral shampoo which usually works for me, and the problem isn't as severe as it used to be. Lastly, I tend to get very flaky skin on my face around my noise and between my botton lip and my chin as well as the corners of my mouth (basically the creases of my face)...my moisturizer helps with that but I've noticed lately that its been getting a little worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (I'm thinking about seeing a derm. if this doesn't stop). I've attached a picture of my forehead below. Thank you so much in advance for any help! This is very aggravating! :confused:

post-129219-1273938572_thumb.jpg

post-129219-1273938572_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marshmelly

Welcome, Marshmelly!

Breaking out in the forehead area mostly, huh?

-New hairspray (can clog pores)?

-Wearing hats or bandanas around your forehead (sweat)?

-Do you have bangs (oil can be absorbed by your hair)?

-Do you rest your head on your hands when reading/studying?

Sometimes we don't realize the simple things we do can cause acne, especially when it's just in one area, like the forehead!

Welcome, Marshmelly!

Breaking out in the forehead area mostly, huh?

-New hairspray (can clog pores)?

-Wearing hats or bandanas around your forehead (sweat)?

-Do you have bangs (oil can be absorbed by your hair)?

-Do you rest your head on your hands when reading/studying?

Sometimes we don't realize the simple things we do can cause acne, especially when it's just in one area, like the forehead!

Thanks for the response! I don't have a new hairspray (don't use hairspray too often) and don't really wear hats. I do have bangs, and try to keep them pinned back when I'm at home (but I've always had bangs before I've had this problem)...I do tend to rest my head on my hand but on my cheek not my forehead =/

Hi Marshmelly,

I had pretty bad acne about 8 to 10 years ago which cleared up after I went on Diane 35. Since then, I've had perfect, clear skin.

However, 2 months ago, I started developing pimples on my forehead which rapidly multiplied within a few weeks. I had no idea where they came from and just couldn't believe that they could suddenly appear overnight.

I have a fringe which sweeps across my forehead, and I also wear hairspray, but I've had the same haircut for the past 5 years and the hairspray has never bothered my skin.

The only thing I could think of was that my gynaecologist changed my pill 6 months ago to a lower dosage. I think my body took its time to adjust and obviously didn't like the change.

I saw a dermatologist fairly soon after I noticed the breakout, who put me back on Diane 35. I was also prescribed Differin in the evening and Duac during the day. She explained the that the Differin helps to bring out the pimples and fight everything under the skin, whilst the Duac helps with what's on the surface. It has been 1 week now and most of the bumps have gone away. Except, my skin was red and inflammed for a few days and I was most grateful to have a fringe to hide my forehead. The redness has subsided but my forehead is still pink. However, my skin has dried up and is all flaky.

It's only been a week so I think it is too soon to comment on the Differin and Duac, but so far, it looks to be improving.

I would recommend that you see a dermatologist to check out your skin.

Hi Marshmelly,

I used to have tons of bumps on my forehead, and they would be like you described- some day them would seem like they're disappearing, and suddenly they would flare red and multiply. I tried soooo many things to get rid of them, but what cured me was using Nizoral on the affected areas (making sure to leave it on for at least 3-5 minutes)- you mentioned using Nizoral, but have you tried it on your forehead?