Notifications
Clear all

My Accutane (Claravis) Adventure!

MemberMember
(@accutane-experience)

Posted : 05/14/2010 10:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm so happy to have found this message board, so I have a place to come and share my experience with Claravis. I just started on Tuesday, May 11th. A little about myself- my name is Shana, I'm 31, soon to turn 32. I hardly had acne as a teen, it mostly started in my 20's. I've tried many, many things to get rid of my acne. I've used Differin, Retin A, topical antibiotic creams, oral antibiotics, over the counter, under the counter :) I've tried it all. Before going on my last course of oral antibiotics, I would have 10+ pimples at any given time, plus lots of scaring. My skin has cleared significantly over the past month, but I know that the antibiotics are not a long-term solution and my skin eventually gets used to whatever I'm on and will begin to break out again. This medication really is a last resort for me. I've tried everything over the past 10 years.

So, this brings me to the Claravis. I was so anxious to start, and it seems like it's taken so long just to get to the starting part! There's the first negative pregnancy test, then another 30 days later before the prescription is filled, the labs, all the iPledge stuff. My second appointment, to fill the prescription, was nearly 3 hours. Yuck. I think the worst part of the derm. appointment is leaving the house without makeup on. I've become a master at covering my acne/scars. Nobody really knows how bad my skin is under all the makeup I so artfully apply each morning and touch up throughout the day. I can't even imagine what it will be like, not worrying about whether my makeup has smeared, if my pimples are showing, or talking to someone and seeing them stare at my acne.

I am on day 4 today, starting out at 40mg for the first month, then 80 for the next 3, for a total of 4 months. I didn't expect to have side effects so soon. I did my research and stocked up on everything I think I'll need: Lubriderm lotion (practically in every room) various chapsticks/lipbalms, lubricating eyedrops, Clinique Super Rescue antioxidant lotion (for my face, when it starts to flake). I didn't expect to experience side effects so quickly. My eyes already feel like the Sahara, that started yesterday. I wear contacts, we'll see how long that lasts. Eye drops are already my new best friend. My face already looks drier. I noticed a flaky spot on my forehead, which is typically oily, along with my nose. I'm also very itchy, pretty much all over. I'm going to start applying lotion at bedtime, instead of just when I get out of the shower in the morning. This is only 4 days into it and at 40mg! What will it be like a few more weeks down the road, and at 80mg?!!! I hope I adjust...

My skin was fairly clear when I started, now I have 2 active pimples. I'm a picker, which is terrible, I know. The pimples seem dry and strange, not the usual puss-filled monsters that I'm used to having. This must mean my oil glands are drying out already? Did I really just talk about what was inside of my pimple? Gross.

So, that's what I'm doing. I hope to come here and update on a regular basis and read the rest of your experience and get tips. Thanks for reading.

Shana

MemberMember
(@time_traveler)

Posted : 05/14/2010 11:19 pm

Good luck !!

MemberMember
(@michelle10)

Posted : 05/16/2010 3:28 pm

Hey Shana -

I started 40 mg/Claravis on May 11th too! We should compare notes, as we are both on day 6 now. My message board is Claravis - the road to clear skin (I hope)!

The only thing I have noticed so far is that parts of my face remain the same, and other areas have gotten worse, so I hope this is a normal part of the process.

-Michelle

MemberMember
(@faithinhim)

Posted : 05/16/2010 3:37 pm

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@accutane-experience)

Posted : 05/16/2010 4:15 pm

Thanks for the well wishes!

Michelle, it's nice to find someone who started on the same day I did! That's great, we'll have to follow each other. I'll go read your log. Really, you haven't had any side effects yet?! Wow, lucky!

I am typically pretty sensitive to medications, so I was wondering how I'd do with this.

Day 6

More dry patches around my nose, forehead, chin. Still just a few new pimples, 1 new one and 2 that are healing. This isn't bad for me and typical. I'm waiting for the initial break out to happen. Maybe it won't? The pimples I do have, seem to heal very fast, and then the skin peels all around them. My eyes are still very dry, skins still itchy all over,my lips need something on them at all times, my nose feels stuffy and is bloody when I blow it. I'm achy. I feel like I have the flu, that deep body ache. I want that to go away. Everything else is tolerable. I'm also very tired.

One side effect I'm particularly worried about, is the potential for headaches. I am currently on 2 daily preventatives for migraine headaches: Topamax, and Nortriptyline. My derm. did mention the the Claravis increasing inter-cranial pressure, not a good thing for headache sufferers. I've already had one bad headache on day 2. I'm hoping to keep them under control, since I'm on the 2 medications. We'll see. I have to find a way to clear up my skin and keep headaches away. :(

Oh, tonight I'll take some pictures. They won't be true before pictures, since my skin has cleared significantly since I was on the doxycycline for a month before starting the Claravis, but I have a lot of scaring. I wish I had true before pics....no, wait, I don't!

MemberMember
(@michelle10)

Posted : 05/17/2010 10:56 pm

Hopefully the meds you are taking will help prevent those headaches, as it seems like you are already experiencing several of the side effects so early on :(

I have always been hit or miss in reference to experiencing side effects from medication. So far just itchy scalp, lack of motivation - and maybe experiencing the IB? Not sure...

Michelle

MemberMember
(@coxy)

Posted : 05/18/2010 4:38 am

Hi Michell10 - we sound verys similar all the same types of antiobiotics etc. Only difference is I am turning 36 this year - how scary is that and still have acne and no sign of any wrinkles yet, guess that is the upside to having oily skin!!!!!!! I have my 2nd Derm appt tomo with the blood test results and then I am good to start Accutane. I have got the Contraceptive Pill at the ready although can't even remember how to take it as it was that long ago - amde sure i got Dianette thought it might help with the spots aswell. My last antibiotics had the same issues as you as soon as the body becomes used to it I break out again!

Today I am feeling particularly miserable as have lots of cysts and they are so bloomin painful honestly it is like someone has punched me in the face and the little glads under my chin are all swollen. Only us guys knows what that pain feels like - even when I move my face it just hurts all the time and I am so sick of it. So even with the Pros and Cons I am ready for the accutane side affects I just want this gone and to not have this issue anymore after 10 years of suffering I want a break from it all. I also hate going to the Derm with no make up on I feel so self-concious I always feel like evryone is looking at me (I am sure they are no).

At first my parents were really against me going on this drug as they were worried but now they have come round to the idea as they just don't thnk it's fair that people like us have to suffer with this hideous disease (perhaps not a disease but you know what I mean).

The worst thing for me at the moment is working out - having to go running with make up cause I feel so hideous and then having to wash it all off afterwards and re-apply the lot again. Honestly the amount of time I spend doing this is ridiculous. The worst part is that I work out during my lunch break as I work for a sports company which is great as they encourage it but then I feel so awkward in the changing room with my colleagues whilst they look all natural I am trying to cover my mountains of spots.

Anyway I am ranting too much now just looking forward to getting started and am fully stocked on all my products from the UK as I am British but live in Amsterdam so that can cause problems as well with communication with my Derm!

Good luck and keep logging - I will start one when I get the tablets hopefully this Friday.

MemberMember
(@accutane-experience)

Posted : 05/18/2010 7:12 pm

Coxy-

You aren't be far behind us, and will just get a little preview of what's to come! Isn't it nice to have people that can relate to what you're going through? Both with the past struggles, and now with this current journey. It is terrible to have to cover up all of those pimples. Good luck with your Accutane treatment and feel free to come here and rant away. Please keep me updated on your progress and feel free to post in my blog or let me know what yours is called once you start it and I'll be sure to follow. I'd like to compare our results!

I'm going to just update my blog (the link is in my signature) from now on with my progress, so I'm not updating in 2 places. It's a much easier format that these threads.

Michelle-

Yes, I'm really hoping these headaches go away. My side effects are hitting me full force today, with another headache yesterday, but a manageable one.

MemberMember
(@loni77)

Posted : 05/21/2010 3:09 pm

Hi Shana!

How are you feeling? Do you still feel like you have the flu? Are you still experiencing the headaches? Gosh, I hope this is only an initial side effect once your body gets used to the medication. I would hate for you to have to deal with this the entire time :( My skin and lips are getting very dry, that's about all I'm experiencing for now... but I'm only on day 5.

Give us an update, hope you're well :)

-Loni

MemberMember
(@accutane-experience)

Posted : 05/23/2010 10:00 pm

Hey Loni,

Sorry, I just saw this! I've been updating my blog. The body aches are much better, but my initial break out is HORRIBLE! I decided to take a picture tonight, after washing my face. It will have to do as my before picture, since my face was fairly clear the week before I started from the last course of antibiotics. Click on my blog link in my signature for an update. I've attached my before pictures. EEEEEEEKKKKKKKK!

post-129189-1274669978_thumb.jpg

post-129189-1274669978_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@coxy)

Posted : 05/24/2010 3:20 am

honestly yours does not look that bad at least the skin around the breakout look clear. My erruption is aawful and sore and angry and no flaking so not sure what is going on to be honest! It's so hot and inflamed the area around the chin and mouth with these nasty spots god knows how I am going to cope at work tomo slathering on the foundation to try and look human!!!!

I really hope this calms down - why do you think I haven't flaked yet? Do you think some people take a little longer? No dry lips either yet?

MemberMember
(@accutane-experience)

Posted : 05/24/2010 12:01 pm

honestly yours does not look that bad at least the skin around the breakout look clear. My erruption is aawful and sore and angry and no flaking so not sure what is going on to be honest! It's so hot and inflamed the area around the chin and mouth with these nasty spots god knows how I am going to cope at work tomo slathering on the foundation to try and look human!!!!

I really hope this calms down - why do you think I haven't flaked yet? Do you think some people take a little longer? No dry lips either yet?

Just because someone else starts getting flaky in a few days, or a week, doesn't mean you should. Your skin is just different. I'm sorry to hear you're breaking out so bad right now. I've used hydrocortizone cream on my huge pimples before, to help them heal. Just make sure it doesn't have any added mineral oil. I found a good one with aloe and it seems to help with inflammation.

I know, my skin probably doesn't look all that bad, especially since it did get a chance to clear up before I went on the Claravis. I think that makes me even more impatient to see results and want it to stay clear! The new acne that I do have now just looks awful. The good news is, it seems to be healing faster than it usually does. The monster spot between my eyes is nearly gone.

MemberMember
(@accutane-experience)

Posted : 06/18/2010 10:09 pm

I've been updating my blog, instead of this thread. Just started my second month, if any of you are interesting in reading about my progress/side effects. I'll post a picture soon.