Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the overall general view on Lara bars...??

I just tried them for the first time and it's a nice thing for a treat as they are TASTY without having to resort to an actual gluten/dairy/sugar/overall gross candy bar for a treat.

With that said I do realize they are sweetened w/ dates which are VERY high on the glycemic index... so what to do?? I was thinking that if I cut them into 4ths and just eat only a forth per serving when I'm in the mood for a treat it'd be okay maybe and not cause any problems??

I honestly am not sure if I'm playing with fire or not w/ these newly discovered treats so I just thought I'd see what you all think!!

SO- YAY OR NAY ON THE LARABARS?? OH, AND WHAT ABOUT KINDBARS?? They have soy but I noticed WAY less carbs and sugar than Larabars... hmmm!

Edited by butterflys & illusions

I eat them all the time, and I don't break out any more often than I did before eating them, so I really don't see a problem. I think a lot of people exaggerate when they say certain things break them out. If you eat a larabar and then get a pimple the next day, how the hell would you know if that was the culprit or if you were going to break out anyway? I think stressing over what foods break you out is more of a factore than the actual foods. That is just what I have come to believe. I certainly believe that some foods do break people out, but I don't think there are many of them.

Lara Bars are SUPER HIGH in sugar. Even more so when you consider how small the actual bar is...... it might be great that they use organic ingredients, but all that sugar DEFINITELY will not help your acne and most likely only contribute to the problem.

99% of protein bars on the market are garbage.... your better off making your own protein bars. Look it up on Youtube, really easy and tastes great. Plus its not loaded with sugar depending on your ingredient list.

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!

Lara Bars are SUPER HIGH in sugar. Even more so when you consider how small the actual bar is...... it might be great that they use organic ingredients, but all that sugar DEFINITELY will not help your acne and most likely only contribute to the problem.

99% of protein bars on the market are garbage.... your better off making your own protein bars. Look it up on Youtube, really easy and tastes great. Plus its not loaded with sugar depending on your ingredient list.

PANIC

Some people can handle a lot of sugars. Larabar uses natural sugar so it shouldn't be that bad.

^yes i agree. I don't have a problem with sugar at all unless I eat like 200 grams a day or something.

Panic! - Lara Bars aren't protein bars, they call them fruit and nut bars. They only have a few grams of protein in them, but I agree about making your own. It's cheaper as well as healthier.

^yes i agree. I don't have a problem with sugar at all unless I eat like 200 grams a day or something.

Panic! - Lara Bars aren't protein bars, they call them fruit and nut bars. They only have a few grams of protein in them, but I agree about making your own. It's cheaper as well as healthier.

Agreed! It is easy to make your own. I would make Raw fudge instead. It is better because Cacao/cocoa is very good for you. Here's a recipe from a video.. very simple -

She didn't add any sugars on that recipe. It is good if you're trying to gain weight because you'll need to add coconut oil.

Edited by EddieE

For my goals the macronutrients suck in these Lara bars, and they're a rip off at 2 bucks a pop after shipping. But the ingredients look ok and they got some flavors that look pretty darn good.

PANIC

Some people can handle a lot of sugars. Larabar uses natural sugar so it shouldn't be that bad.

Actually no one can handle excess sugar; its a drug and causes all sorts of havoc in your body aside from potentially making acne worse.

I bunched Lara bars in the same category as protein bars because its a fake processed food that isn't good for you at all. I will agree that Lara Bars uses much better ingredients but nearly 20 or more grams of sugar in such a small bar makes it a bad choice.

Whether its natural, artificial or something else doesn't matter; sugar is sugar and acts the same way once it enters the blood stream.

PANIC

PANIC

Actually no one can handle excess sugar; its a drug and causes all sorts of havoc in your body aside from potentially making acne worse.

I bunched Lara bars in the same category as protein bars because its a fake processed food that isn't good for you at all. I will agree that Lara Bars uses much better ingredients but nearly 20 or more grams of sugar in such a small bar makes it a bad choice.

Whether its natural, artificial or something else doesn't matter; sugar is sugar and acts the same way once it enters the blood stream.

PANIC

That is a pretty ridiculous series of statements.

Yeah no one can handle "excess sugar" but what constitutes "excess" can be vastly different from one person to the next. I often eat 4-5 servings of different fruits a day and largely attribute that to my success in being the healthiest I have ever been (and virtually acne-free). I get lots of sunshine.

There is nothing fake or processed in lara bars. Sure you don't want to sit around eating lara bars all day but as far as snacks go, especially for anyone looking to ditch actual processed fake crap... they're a pretty damn good option. They are loaded with good fats too from almonds, walnuts. They are an ultimate hiking and trail running food, I can tell you that much.

PANIC

PANIC

That is a pretty ridiculous series of statements.

I fail to see where the ridiculous statements were in my reply; dietary simple sugars aren't necessary in our diet. The body needs glucose but gets PLENTY of it from the conversion of healthy fats and some protein on a daily basis. Ask yourself what good does sugar do once it enters the body regardless of whether its from fructose or another source? I won't deny that fruits provide a great source of vitamins and minerals, but eating 4-5 pieces of fruit a day is excessive unless your burning an immense amount of calories; even then your better off getting your glucose replenished by better sources.

Yeah no one can handle "excess sugar" but what constitutes "excess" can be vastly different from one person to the next. I often eat 4-5 servings of different fruits a day and largely attribute that to my success in being the healthiest I have ever been (and virtually acne-free). I get lots of sunshine.

What constitutes excess sugar can be different from person to person, but the whole point is SUGAR isn't a necessary nutrient in our daily diets. To attribute fruit to you being the healthiest you've ever been is more of a ridiculous statement than anything I said previously. Your simply guessing without any proof. Do some research on the effects of sugar in the human body if you want proof on what I'm saying.

There is nothing fake or processed in lara bars. Sure you don't want to sit around eating lara bars all day but as far as snacks go, especially for anyone looking to ditch actual processed fake crap... they're a pretty damn good option. They are loaded with good fats too from almonds, walnuts. They are an ultimate hiking and trail running food, I can tell you that much.

Do you know the definition of processed food? Whether its "organic" or synthetic, if it comes in a wrapper unless you wrapped up what you made in plastic its processed. Almonds and walnuts do provide a good source of Omega 3, but an equally greater source of Omega 6, which is already eaten in excess in the average American Diet. Any endurance or athletic sport does require more glycogen than the sedentary individual but A LOT less than you think. You would do just as well if you only ate once piece of fruit a day compared to the the 4-5 your eating now, with all other things in your diet and lifestyle being equal. Anything that creates a dramatic insulin spike to your blood sugar levels is not healthy and will causes problems in the long haul.

A Lara Bar won't kill you, but my whole point is there are MUCH MUCH better options for anyone looking for solid nutrition whether they're an athlete or not.

PANIC

If you have ever taken an argumentative writing class you would see that the first sentence of your previous post was a fallacious assertion.

You post a lot of shit on these boards that lends nothing to productive discussion, only to your definitive and inarguable conclusions.

If you have ever taken an argumentative writing class you would see that the first sentence of your previous post was a fallacious assertion.

You post a lot of shit on these boards that lends nothing to productive discussion, only to your definitive and inarguable conclusions.

Panties in a bunch huh? Actually I post based off extensive research and personal experience with the effects of diet and health. Seems like your the one who can't seem to handle an opinion that doesn't agree with your line of thinking...

drip drip drizzler....

PANIC

Having a Larabar here and there is probably fine. KIND bars are delicious too, though expensive, and are low GI. I prefer Odwalla bars, even though they're basically candy. :lol: