Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rusch1595

Those closed over "whiteheads" that never go away

Hey all, I'm 41 and have been dealing with acne since age 12. I've had years where I'm clear and times when I'm still a mess. I'm on birth control, doxy (100 mg for 2 weeks now), use a very natural regimen to maintain skin mantle. I also use retin-a, salicylic acid 2%, mandelic acid.

I recently have been getting cystic acne around my chin, which I hope the doxy will help with. What is the most annoying and persistent are the whiteheads that can get rather large and will stay around forever. They are not open, but are closed over so rarely come to a head. If I dare pick at them, they become large cysts. But if I don't pick at them, they won't go away. I bring this up with my doctor and she had no real solution. I've also recently come down with perioral dermatitis, hence the doxy. She says if the doxy doesn't clear me up in 6 weeks, then I can try spironolactone.

Should I just wait for the spiro? I just don't know what else to do. I wish she would have just given me the spiro now but I understand not wanting to over do. I have considered Accutane but I'm scared to death of the side effects and know my skin isn't "that bad" consistently.

Thanks for any help!!

Give bp a try, that usually brings those whiteheads to the surface then they will normally just come off.

Sorry! I can't offer much help but I can concur with you. The interesting thing is whenever I go to my esthetician ("pimple popper"), she leaves the closed over whiteheads. She expels every other type of pimple on my face, but it's as if she doesn't see the stuff we're seeing. Maybe it's not exactly acne?

That's interesting they won't pop them for you, they are hard to pop though unless they come to a head, which almost never happens.

I've wondered too if they're true whiteheads. From messing with 2 of them though recently, they became large almost cystic pimples and a bunch of stuff came out (sorry, gross!) and now I'm dealing with the marks left over. In fact, one almost looks like it's still got something in it but I don't want to mess with it anymore, but at the same time if I don't it just doesn't come out!! Very frustrating.

That's interesting they won't pop them for you, they are hard to pop though unless they come to a head, which almost never happens.

I've wondered too if they're true whiteheads. From messing with 2 of them though recently, they became large almost cystic pimples and a bunch of stuff came out (sorry, gross!) and now I'm dealing with the marks left over. In fact, one almost looks like it's still got something in it but I don't want to mess with it anymore, but at the same time if I don't it just doesn't come out!! Very frustrating.

Those under the skin ones shouldn't ever be messed with at home. Estheticians won't mess with them because the under the skin pimples actually require a surgical technique to excise and estheticians are not allowed to do that; only docs/NPs and PAs can.

You can apply ice to help reduce the swelling. Some people prefer to apply heat to try to bring them to a head, but that has the added risk of simply enlarging them without making them come to a head; they can hurt, too, if heated. A Zeno provides heat in a different manner, deeper, so may be of help with those under the skin bumps.