Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jakro

Derm wont give me Accutane

I have had acne for around 3 years now and have been seeing this derm for almost 2, He keeps giving me the same prescriptions, which are a morning liquid soap, a day cream and a night gel. I forgot all the names but I can get them if they will help.

I had another appointment with him today and told him I would like to go on accutane but he said he doesnt feel right giving it to me, says he doesnt like the side effects or something. I dont know if I should just stick with what he says or seek another derm who will give me the accutane.

You could get a second opinion and see if they're just looking out for your best interest because maybe you really don't need it. BUT if you think you do, he's probably just out there for the money. If you keep going back every month they get paid. If you go on Accutane you probably won't need to go back very frequently after you finish your course.

I don't know, just a thought.

You can always get a second opinion from another doctor. If your derm keeps giving you the same thing even though your acne problem doesn't go away, then he is just stupid... Change your doctor, and good luck.

Edited by myskin_2008

You can always get a second opinion from another doctor. If your derm keeps giving you the same thing even though your acne problem doesn't go away, then he is just stupid... Change your doctor, and good luck.

couldnt hurt to see another, just to see what they say. in australia, where i live they are usually pretty strict on this. they say you must try antibiotics (both internally and topically) and if they dont work and only then will they try accutane. they sometimes go straight to accutane, if your skin is severe. your skin doesnt sound severe though, otherwise im sure theyd put you on it.

In this country (UK) there arnt many prescription restrictions on the drug, other than it is hospital prescription only. Its free here as well - and doctors have so many patients to see in a day that they want you off their books and roaccutane is really the only thing that can achieve this. Therefore they gave this drug to me without many questions - with my gp i had tried only two oral antibiotics and 1 topical (Benzoyl peroxide)- before he refered me to see someone in a hospital, they didnt make me try retin a, differin, topical antibiotics and all that crap.

Edited by Macbeth