Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zh17

My Bactrim and Epiduo log!

Alright here I go!

My name's Zach and I'm 16 going on 17 soon. (isn't there a song about that :D) I'm about 160 lbs. and about 6" 2'. Just some things about me: I play several instruments, I love music, I love reading and writing and I love my friends.

I started breaking out at about 14 as a result of puberty and bad genetics. My father had severe acne throughout his teenage years. He took Accutane in 1982 nearly as soon as it came out. My symptoms are tons of blackheads on my nose, plenty of whiteheads around my cheeks and forehead, and a few zits on my face at one time. I get a few cysts a month, though of course I am cyst free when I got to the derm. I mark and scar pretty easily.

I had a follow up dermatologist appointment after 3 months on doxycicline and retin-A, which didn't do shit. I had discussed Accutane with my parents and we both agreed we were going to ask for the treatment. I got pretty excited at the thought of being clear forever, and was prepared to beg. Well anyway today the dermatologist said she wished to try one more antibiotic before we look at Accutane is an option. I'm pretty bummed, though I can't make her prescribe it. She prescribed (generic) Bactrim DS 800-160 (whatever the hell those numbers mean) and Epiduo (which 2.5% BP and another ingredient Adapalene which helps repair skin and absorption). So I'm making the best of it and will be keeping a photo and written log of my experiences (I'm sure I'll put in some music links and rants too =]).

Wish me luck!!!! I should have pictures by tomorrow.

Edited by zh17

Good luck!! I'm in the same boat! Just started Bactrim and Epiduo a few days ago!

Main difference, I'm a 20 year old female and also on b/c pills. But nonetheless, I hope you see great results! The Bactrim goes down better if I take it with food, and dont overdo it with the Epiduo, I piled it on and got severe peeling. :( But now, its looking better!

Good luck!! I'm in the same boat! Just started Bactrim and Epiduo a few days ago!

Main difference, I'm a 20 year old female and also on b/c pills. But nonetheless, I hope you see great results! The Bactrim goes down better if I take it with food, and dont overdo it with the Epiduo, I piled it on and got severe peeling. :( But now, its looking better!

Thanks for your support! I'll check in on your log too so we can compare progress. That sucks about the peeling, thats what I had with retin a.

Day 1

Mark day one for my new all-prescription regimin. I picked up my meds from target today and all I can say is damn, this epiduo is expensive. Our co-pay on it was 90 bucks, thankfully we had a coupon for $35, even still. The Bactrim was like $4 generic, so three cheers for cheap meds. I put on the epiduo just as the derm told me, and to avoid using any other topicals I put all my different creams I pile on when feeling desperate into a bag under my sink. I popped the (massive) pill with a big glass of water.

Today's acne forecast is a cyst, a few pimples and plenty of clogged pores. I have a few zits on my chest and a freaking giganto-cyst on my back. I hope to God I don't start breaking out on my back.

Here are some pics, the lighting is blurry and it's hard to do pics of my face lol. Not to mention the flash takes out all the redness and generally ickyness of my complexion.

Alright meds do yo thang!!!

post-119670-1273872202_thumb.jpg

post-119670-1273872210_thumb.jpg

post-119670-1273872202_thumb.jpg

post-119670-1273872210_thumb.jpg

Edited by zh17

Day 4

Day four of this new regimen. Not in a good mood at all. Since I quit doxy and retin a in February I've been on the acne.org regimen, which worked pretty well, but still didn't work for deeper pimples and cysts, which is why I went back to the dermatologist. I stopped the regimen one week before my derm. appointment, so now its been going on 2 weeks since the regimen. My face has never been worse, two new cysts, more pimples and too many whiteheads and black heads to count. I know that I haven't given enough time to let the bactrim do its work, but still I'm really discouraged. I just wish the dermatologist would have given me accutane.

And not to mention my, errrr..... legally questionable copy of windows 7 decided it needed to detect it was pirated and deactivated today. Gosh the shits hitting the fan and exams are coming up. I just hope I can get it together before I have to take them.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading, just writing this makes me feel better.

One Week!!!

Man it seems like years since last Thursday, I got serious summer fever, school just needs to end!!

Well to the meds. I've been taking Bactrim every day at 3ish and applying epiduo every night after I wash my face.

As for progress I think I'm going prey well. I haven't had any new breakouts since I started, anything that is on my face now was existent before I started or had already formed beneath the skin. I think the bactrim has taken care of the inflamation, my red amrks haven't been as pronounced and angry looking since I started either.

I'm skipping my epiduo tonight, my face is really dry and irritated. Just moisturizing with cetaphil cream and leaving it.

Day 10

I'm broken out really badly this morning, some really deep stuff on my right cheek, some new whiteheads and stuff on the left, and zits and irritated spots on my hairline (sideburns and forehead).

It seems like my mind changes every day about my progress XD I guess my prior "progress" is just placebo.

For those who have been on Bactrim, how long does it take to work??!?!??!?!?!

so I have like an ocd thing for reading about everything I come in contact with (ie. a movie I just saw, a new car, a book, news events, etc. etc.) So naturally I have done hours and hours surfing about acne, medications and related topics.

So today I read all about BACTRIM and I honestly question what kind of pill I really am putting into my body. All kinds of severe allergic reactions, kidney problems, resistance to the drug when needed for severe infections (other than acne). Not to mention several sights said long term users should have regular blood-work to monitor blood levels and kidney function. The derm didn't say anything to me about any of this. I have a physical this week at my pediatrician for summer camp and the fall sports season and am going to talk to her about this.

Any readers have any comments?

I was given Bactrim the beginning of April ...I was on it for almost two weeks! It was working amazingly! You have no idea. The acne was just healing, drying up and going away! I was so happy! Then I was having the worst headaches of my life... I tried to deal with it, but everyday it got worse and worse. I had joint pains, the chills and my back was killing me! The last thing to happen around the week and a half my entire body was itchy!!! I couldn't sleep at night! I itched EVERYWHERE... My skin actually started turning blotchy...red and stuff. Doctor told me to stop the Bactrim. I was fine the next day! Sucks though she said it's one of the strongest drugs for acne besides accutane. The one im on now Solodyn...took 3 weeks to kick in! Sucks!

...Also I got a really bad break out my second week on my new meds! I think it's the IB! It will clear up soon!

Ouch about the IB, when I was on retin a my skin looked the worst its ever been after a month in the IB period.

I was given Bactrim the beginning of April ...I was on it for almost two weeks! It was working amazingly! You have no idea. The acne was just healing, drying up and going away! I was so happy! Then I was having the worst headaches of my life... I tried to deal with it, but everyday it got worse and worse. I had joint pains, the chills and my back was killing me! The last thing to happen around the week and a half my entire body was itchy!!! I couldn't sleep at night! I itched EVERYWHERE... My skin actually started turning blotchy...red and stuff. Doctor told me to stop the Bactrim. I was fine the next day! Sucks though she said it's one of the strongest drugs for acne besides accutane. The one im on now Solodyn...took 3 weeks to kick in! Sucks!

Wow so within a week!?!?! I haven't gotten any progress at all, new stuff keeps forming. I hope I'm not resistant to this one either. If after 2 months I'm still getting anywhere I'm gonna have my mom ring up the dermatologist and demand accutane, since both topical and oral antibiotics haven't gotten me anywhere.

No serious side effects yet. It sounds like lots of people are allergic to this drug, I read lots of reviews on the site about people who had severe allergic reactions. Kind of scary the doc didn't say anything to me about this!

thanks for your posts and support! It def means a lot to have some one out there "get it"!!

I guess for some people different meds work faster than others. You have to give it 3 months they say... Yupp I have a appt. with the Derm on 6/21 and I'm asking for accutane. My skin has gotten alot better! OMG has it! I have to upload a current picture...I have one in my gallery of the worst week ever...about 3 weeks ago! lol. I just have a bunch of red marks now and I still break out, but not as bad. Yet, I hear antibiotics is just Temp... your lucky to stay clear after getting off it! Accutane seems like the "Cure"

I know two people that have used it and both loved it and are clear! Only side effect...dry lips! My step mom has been off it for two years and no acne! It's amazing! I was just too scared to go on it, but now I feel like it's the only permanent option. If you do go on it we will prolly start around the same time since I have to wait a month after my visit! Damn...lol.

Oh also...I read some where on hear that you will continue to get pimples till around 3 months! Then you should not break out (with antibiotics). I keep telling myself that, but It's so frustrating seeing your face clear up and then BAM another fucking pimple the next morning! Ugh.

Yea my doctor failed to tell me about the allergic reactions! Lol. I heard it's the sulfer in it.

Your welcome. Sorry a wrote a book. lol.

thanks for the encouragement! Its definitely been tough sticking to just the pill and cream, as I usually have a whole arsenal of creams and washes that I use sporadically. My mom made me put it all in a target bad under my sink haha.

and word about the accutane. My dad took it after going his while life suffering moderate-severe acne that resisted all the antibiotics and shit the doctors threw at it, and he hasn't had any major relapses since. It'd be awesome to just take it for a few months, hell I could even deal with some side effects if it just made my acne disappear!

2 WEEKS

so its been two weeks since my first day on the meds.

Status: got some big zits (nasty ones with huge white heads). I still have the same array of whiteheads and clogged pored on my nose and face. And I have some fresh shit on my jawline, and I've never broken out there before. And I've started getting more and more stuff on my back (albeit very small stuff, mostly whiteheads and small red heads) and chest due to my summer cross training regimen for the fall cross country season (and the marathon in november!! 26.2 miles baby!) But overall I think my face is less red, but I look like a mess after I sweat, tons of oil and redness.

mark down another week til school ends!!! Junior year has been so long and busy (not to mention social stress due to self conscientiousness). Then imma be a senior, but as of now I'm taking 5 ap courses next year. wudda bitch! But Its gonna be worth it if I get into my dream school, William and Mary :D

enough of a rant! thanks for reading and the comments guys keep it coming!

Wow so big coincidence!

I was catching up with an old friend today after school (one who I knew well last year, but haven't had any shared classes or anything this year) who suffered from pretty bad acne last year. Its funny how last year I never really thought about his skin because he was just a bro and thats all that mattered to me. Now if I see a person with acne it's so much more obvious to me now that I am more aware of my own symptoms. His skin was great today.

Well anyway we were chillin in the commons and I was like you wanna grab some lunch and come back to my place and play some cod? And he was like nah I gotta go get some blood work, and I was like oh shit what happened, and he said its this drug hes been taking that requires monthly blood tests, and ding! in my mind was like "accutane!", and I asked him if he was taking accutane and he said yes. I told him I've done lots of reading about it for my own skin. I asked him what brought him to it, and he said different topicals and antibiotics. I told him how I'm on my last antibiotic before the dermatologist gave it to me. He said "yeah bein on this shit sucks, like I couldn't play tennis this spring, and I sun burn instantly, but it was worth it."

Edited by zh17

too funny! I just got home from a party/chill sesh. My friend just got a fake id, so a celebration was necessary haha

well anyway a few hours in everyone was really good and shitfaced except for me, cuz I'm not a big drinker anyway, and this other girl from my school. she was in the corner just chillin, so I came up and we started talking and we were both saying how we're not that into drinking, and she said that she can't because of this medicine she's taking (shes also suffered from acne) and I was like ah for what, and she was like its just this thing called accutane, its for my skin. once again I was like zomg! another person that I'm close to thats going on this drug. I swear I think its a sign that I need to go on accutane, as a few close people to me are going on it, and their skin is amazing.

and as for my own status, I feel 2 new cysts coming on, seriously f**k this bactrim shit. I swear its not doing anything.

Day 17

Today out of no where I'm really red and peeling. Broken out like crazy, tons of small inflamed zits, a few massive ones and a cyst on my jawline.

I seriously want to drop this treatment, I need to get my parents to call the dermatologist, my face has never really looked worse.

Wow so I've been a frequent updater.

Well anyway during the summer (starting may-ish) I ramp up exercise for the fall cross country season. I usually do a combo of running, cycling and weight training 5 times a week. I've started my summer workout routine and have started to break out on my inner thighs, and near my "area". I suppose this is due to excess sweat and chaffing from shorts.

any athletes care to share their tips for treatment "down there"???

Hey, haven't checked in on you in a long time. Can't help you with the last question.... But for the previous ones, Bactrim worked almost instantly for me with no side effects. I still get the occasional minor spot, which for me becomes a disaster because my skin doesnt heal. But still, it helps me. Sorry you're having a rough time with it.

Best of luck. :)

Oh and I'm not Epiduo anymore (too expensive :( ) So I'm scared my skin will get worse.

P.S. I keep randomly meeting people on Accutane too. Small world. A few co workers and such. Still makes me mad that so many people suffer, and there is no cure. People dont realize how detramental acne is to your self esteem. I know because I used to be one of those people!

Hope you start seeing some improvement. :)

Hey, haven't checked in on you in a long time. Can't help you with the last question.... But for the previous ones, Bactrim worked almost instantly for me with no side effects. I still get the occasional minor spot, which for me becomes a disaster because my skin doesnt heal. But still, it helps me. Sorry you're having a rough time with it.

Best of luck. :)

Oh and I'm not Epiduo anymore (too expensive :( ) So I'm scared my skin will get worse.

P.S. I keep randomly meeting people on Accutane too. Small world. A few co workers and such. Still makes me mad that so many people suffer, and there is no cure. People dont realize how detramental acne is to your self esteem. I know because I used to be one of those people!

Hope you start seeing some improvement. :)

thanks for the check up!!

totally know what you mean, not only does one spot mean the initial bump and inflammation, but then a month of redness around the area, even if I dont pick at all.

yeah I couldn't believe how much the epiduo was, 290 dollars out of pocket if you didn't have insurance, outrageous, especially because I can get a friggin massive thing of BP here for like $15.

and also agreed, I wonder why they haven't come out with some kind of vaccine or other cure for acne, I mean tons of people have it, and accutane is a really potent drug and is the closest thing to a cure, its still pretty dangerous to take.

week tres

still incredibly broken out, perhaps worse than ever before. I'm not sure if this is some kind of purging or Ib, or simply just how my skin looks when not being treated with an effective treatment. I'll take some pics tonight after I shower.

pics of week 3, after a shower.

all I can say is ewwwwww. looking at these makes me want to just break down. This is in really harsh bathroom lighting after a warm shower so it looks worse than usual, but still.

post-119670-1275614919_thumb.jpg

post-119670-1275614910_thumb.jpg

post-119670-1275614910_thumb.jpg

post-119670-1275614919_thumb.jpg

just wanted to say good luck with your resume, im on differin (similar i guess to epiduo) and just started bactrim (i recommended doctor to start me on it as i was taking mino for 6 months and became resistant i think) just wondering how many bactrim ds are you taking a day and what time of the day you are taking it? keep your head up man all the best

just wanted to say good luck with your resume, im on differin (similar i guess to epiduo) and just started bactrim (i recommended doctor to start me on it as i was taking mino for 6 months and became resistant i think) just wondering how many bactrim ds are you taking a day and what time of the day you are taking it? keep your head up man all the best

just one, and I usually take it in the evening our afternoon, usually 5ish right before dinner. thanks for the encouragement, its been hard to keep being on this treatment, especially since the regimen worked a hell of a lot better than this.