Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lisa14

So I opened up to my cousin about it

So I had lunch with my cousin today and I broke down and told her how much my acne scar dents affect me and how I'm looking into scar removal surgeries. Her response was "see, I knew you were manic depressive, I diagnosed you at 12 yrs old" (I'm 22 now). I told her because she is going to be a doc and I just wanted her opinion, I'm very close to her. She told me I need to handle things better, and that my craziness was evidenced by my hair falling out. Oh yeah, she then picked apart my personality saying I need a man, that I will never be happy because I will always find something to pick on, to name one time in my life that I was every happy, blah blah. She then said I just need to learn how to apply makeup so she is taking me shopping to buy some on Saturday.

I guess the good news is she said she doesnt see my dents and doesnt know what I'm talking about, all she sees is a few pimples here and there and that my skin is smooth overall.

Whatever, I felt like a loser after that convo. Talking to real people about it that are hot and have perfect skin is not advised. :naughty:

So I had lunch with my cousin today and I broke down and told her how much my acne scar dents affect me and how I'm looking into scar removal surgeries. Her response was "see, I knew you were manic depressive, I diagnosed you at 12 yrs old" (I'm 22 now). I told her because she is going to be a doc and I just wanted her opinion, I'm very close to her. She told me I need to handle things better, and that my craziness was evidenced by my hair falling out. Oh yeah, she then picked apart my personality saying I need a man, that I will never be happy because I will always find something to pick on, to name one time in my life that I was every happy, blah blah. She then said I just need to learn how to apply makeup so she is taking me shopping to buy some on Saturday.

I guess the good news is she said she doesnt see my dents and doesnt know what I'm talking about, all she sees is a few pimples here and there and that my skin is smooth overall.

Whatever, I felt like a loser after that convo. Talking to real people about it that are hot and have perfect skin is not advised. :naughty:

It's your cousin, but I have to say, she sounds a little on the arrogant side to me. : / She shouldn't be saying stuff like that to you. But family is family and people are people. You probably won't be able to change her. But I would just ask her for advice on superficial things. Like shopping for makeup! That sounds like something she can help you with. I'm not being a smart ass either haha. So let her help you with that, but definitely go to a dermatologist for everything else. <3 Good luck. (You aren't a loser!)

Nobody is going to stare, and analyze and pick and prod yourself as much as you are. She just straight up has no idea what you, we, all of us go through with the acne. Especially if she is "hot" with "perfect skin."

What you should definitely take away from this and keep in the front of your mind is that she did not see the scarring! IF she doesn't see it chances are others don't either.

She is off the reservation on the other stuff. Whether she has a doctorate or not she just doesn't know how deep acne can affect a person. I've heard all the things you described...the never happy, always finding something to pick on....not so much the 'you need a man'...but you get the idea.

It's unfortunate but you can't really expect to get of a meaningful, impacting reaction from people without acne about troubles with acne. It's the kind of problem it seems that only people suffering with it can relate to.....everyone on here for instance.

It's your cousin, but I have to say, she sounds a little on the arrogant side to me. : / She shouldn't be saying stuff like that to you. But family is family and people are people. You probably won't be able to change her. But I would just ask her for advice on superficial things. Like shopping for makeup! That sounds like something she can help you with. I'm not being a smart ass either haha. So let her help you with that, but definitely go to a dermatologist for everything else. <3 Good luck. (You aren't a loser!)

She is the smartest person I know and analyzes people very well, but what she said didnt sit right with me. She also said that I'm weird for telling people my insecuriites, and not once has she mentioned or told me what her insecurity is. If someone is sitting there and talking to you about acne, wouldnt you atleast tell them what your insecure about to make them feel better?

Idk, its just no one understands besides us why it affects us this much. She said she doesnt expect to understand and feels sorry for me and anyone who goes through with it.

Agreed. I told my sister why I was so unhappy. It took SO MUCH courage to get the words out, all I said was "my skin", through lots of tears of course. She was like, "you have nice skin" or something like, "thats not a real reason to be depressed, its something psychological".. The point is, she just did not get that my having acne was making me seriously sad. Ofcourse, she has great skin, really clear. She just didnt get it.

And I too felt about 1000 times worse after that. I keep it all to myself now.

Your cousin's response reinforces - no, etches into stone - the reason why I put my full faith in our divine, all knowing, mountain moving community of doctors.

Well I'm certainly impressed that you had the courage to openly discuss your skin with someone else, especially someone with no history of acne. The only person I've ever complained to, confided in or talked about my skin to at all is my mother....and that's only because she had terrible skin when she was my age. But I certainly never would've had the courage to do what you did.....kind of strange how the problem is smack dab in the middle of my face and yet I refuse to acknowledge or talk about it.