Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
katiejean

Katie's Accutane Experience

About me:

My name is Katie and I am 18 years old.

Before the age of 16, I never really had a problem with acne. I had a few blemishes here and there, but it never really bothered me. I kept my skin under control with ProActiv, and I had perfect skin. After a while my skin developed a tolerance to it and it stopped working.

sawe3t.jpg

This picture is right before I got on birth control, and is completely un-retouched with no scars yet.

A month before I turned 16 (September 2007) I started birth control, and my skin has never been the same since. I broke out all the time and blemishes stayed for weeks, sometimes ever a month or more. I would scar even if I didnt pick at my spots - it left a pink mark no matter what. I started to see a dermatologist that December of 2007. Ever since then, I have been put on antibiotics and topical creams, but nothing has been able to treat my mild acne. My acne is almost always in the lower half of my face, around my jaw and chin and sometimes my cheeks, and its never whiteheads, its always big and painful cysts underneath my skin that last for weeks.

My dermatologist finally suggested Accutane last year, in April 2009. I then went home and began to research the treatment thoroughly before making any decision. That summer my skin was fantastic, so I never decided to go through with it.

It wasnt until January 2010 my my skin was the worst it ever has been. I completely broke out, with painful cysts all around my chin - about 10 a one time. I did everything I could to get rid of it and prevent it, but every month it would get worse and worse. I finally decided to go on Accutane, and thats why I'm posting now.

Sorry for the novel! Today is my first day. I'm going to be taking 40 mg twice daily, and will update when I can with pictures too.

Day One May 13th 2010:

post-129095-1273774851_thumb.jpg

post-129095-1273774867_thumb.jpg

post-129095-1273774872_thumb.jpg

post-129095-1273774851_thumb.jpg

post-129095-1273774867_thumb.jpg

post-129095-1273774872_thumb.jpg

Edited by katiejean

Sorry for the novel!

Pah. That's nothing. I've rambled on in entries for paragraphs about stuff that is not acne-realted in the least.

Anyways - good luck with your course! Accutane can be a pain in the ass, but it's sooooo worth it.

Pah. That's nothing. I've rambled on in entries for paragraphs about stuff that is not acne-realted in the least.

Most of which from what I've been reading, is utter hilarity.

Thanks guys! I'm so excited but I'm incredibly impatient so I hope I see results soon =] haha

Gotta be very patient the first month, I dont mean to scare you at all and Im sorry if I do, but your acne might worse than it is now during the first few weeks. But in the end it'll all be worth it :)

I started one week ago too, i am in the same situation, i get acne along the chin, and i always think birth control pills always make it worse..

I am on accutane since 7 days ago.

I would like to keep an eye on your log :)

Most of which from what I've been reading, is utter hilarity.

Thanks guys! I'm so excited but I'm incredibly impatient so I hope I see results soon =] haha

Gotta be very patient the first month, I dont mean to scare you at all and Im sorry if I do, but your acne might worse than it is now during the first few weeks. But in the end it'll all be worth it :)

Oh yes, I've heard about the initial breakout...Since I know its coming I suppose it wont bother me too much :think:

I started one week ago too, i am in the same situation, i get acne along the chin, and i always think birth control pills always make it worse..

I am on accutane since 7 days ago.

I would like to keep an eye on your log :)

Thanks! I heard that some birth control can make it better. My dermatologist actually put me on Yaz about a year and a half ago to see if it helped but it didnt =[[

Before the age of 16, I never really had a problem with acne. I had a few blemishes here and there, but it never really bothered me. I kept my skin under control with ProActiv, and I had perfect skin. After a while my skin developed a tolerance to it and it stopped working.

I would scar even if I didnt pick at my spots - it left a pink mark no matter what.

These two statements are SPOT on for me too.

OMG.

I hate Proactiv. My skin was literally addicted to it.

After the second year I couldn't go a day without washing my face TWICE or it would start to break-out.

that stuffs messed up!

My skin scars too, and I rarely pick it!! I sometimes wonder if I touch/pick my face while I sleep, because all the scars I have are just unexplainable!

I hope Accutane works for you!!! (:

I may try it one of these days, but I'm sticking with topicals for the moment.

So today is day three. I havent noticed anything different in my skin yet, not that I expected anything since it has only been three days. I did notice that I've been getting headaches though, has this happened to anyone else, or is it possible its unrelated? I dont know, but I dont usually get headaches.

I think I will mostly update at the end of every pack I have, which is 5 days worth. So I will update again in 2 days!

Edited by katiejean

So today is day three. I havent noticed anything different in my skin yet, not that I expected anything since it has only been three days. I did notice that I've been getting headaches though, has this happened to anyone else, or is it possible its unrelated? I dont know, but I dont usually get headaches.

I think I will mostly update at the end of every pack I have, which is 5 days worth. So I will update again in 2 days!

Headaches may be the accutane. I had headaches for about 2 days, but I drank alot of water and ate snacks through out the day. Around day 3 they vanished! like magic!

Guest Scarlett Skies

Good Luck Katie!!!

My breakouts are around my chin and mouth area as well.

For me that area has been the only area that has become super dry and flaky, the rest of my face remains somewhat "normal" looking moisture wise. The strange thing about Accutane is that ppl sometimes get break outs in areas of their face that they don't normally get spots. For example, right now I have one on my forehead where I never broke out pre-accutane.

Stay nice and moisturized and expect the unexpected while you're on Accutane and you'll be fine! In the end it will all be worth it!

So today is the beginning of day six. I finished my first pack of Clavaris and am now on my second. I still havent noticed any differences, other than my lips being chapped yesterday. I'm starting to break out more on the left side of my face. I have three cystic spots around the side of nose, one of them being around my upper lip so it hurts a lot. I never really break out here, but I dont think this is my IB.

I really hope to see some sort of difference soon, so at least I know this medication is doing something. I hate that I'm so impatient.

So in comparing a picture of the left side of my face now to the first day, it seems that my chin might be getting better even though I'm getting more spots on the upper half of my cheeks.

Oh and the right side of my face looks good. It literally has like 3 spots - two on my chin and one on my cheek. Why doesnt my whole face look like this? I hate that my spots are all concentrated on the left side of my face.

post-129095-1274196108_thumb.jpg

post-129095-1274196108_thumb.jpg

Edited by katiejean

im in my 3rd mnth now and things seem to be a lil bttr but u shuld jus know tht it might get rlli bad like my face got rlli bad i had acne in places i never did but do not hesittate it will gt bttr

Your story is so similar to mine. I get breakouts in pretty much the exact same spots and for years I tried Proactiv and it was as if I became immune to it.

We also started on Accutane around the same time too, so it will be interesting to see how things work. Good luck with everything! :D

I went on birth control to help my acne at it totally kicked my butt. My face broke out like CRAZY and it hasn't been the same until I went on Accutane. Now 5 months later and my face is entirely zit free with some scarring. I'm sure you'll clear up too. ;)

So this is my 24th day! So weird that its been that long. (Or at least it feels like a while to me) I'm in the middle of my 5th pack of Clavaris.

I didnt update for a while because there was basically no changes. I continued to break out a lot, and my skin has been a bit dry but its really not even that bad....yet. haha. For the past 2 days or so my skin is looking clearer, but its hard to tell right now because I'm still wearing last night's makeup. I'll update with pictures a little later.

About 2 weeks ago I was getting spots on my hands, but when I went to the dermatologist I got a bunch of moisturizer samples that I used throughout the day, and every time I washed my hands and it went away in less than a week.

On Thursday I felt like I was getting muscle aches, because my back hurt every time I stood up after bending down or anything. I took advil and have been fine since. Maybe it was unrelated. Oh and my lips have been super chapped for about a week. Regular chapstick wasnt working very well so I got aquaphor and it is amazing. Works perfectly.

Other than that things are good. I hope my skin is finally starting to get a bit better instead of worse.

post-129095-1275753332_thumb.jpg

post-129095-1275753338_thumb.jpg

post-129095-1275753332_thumb.jpg

post-129095-1275753338_thumb.jpg

Edited by katiejean

Really not much to share. My skin has stayed about the same, isnt really clearing up..It actually got a bit worse since my last update. I noticed I'm scarring a lot. =[

My skin is becoming less oily, so my makeup lasts a lot longer, as well as my scalp.

I developed the same rash/eczema on my hands like you. Mine became really, really bad and started to reach my elbow. I HIGHLY recommend CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. It literally cleared my hands up in a matter of days! ;)

Four days until my high school graduation and I'm breaking out.

I have 4 large cystic pimples on just my chin alone, as in the area right below my mouth. They're are so painful when I wash my face. Also along the left side of my face again. Why is this happening right before graduation? I hate knowing there is nothing I can do.

Thank goodness I have a dermatologist appointment tomorrow. He will probably just tell me to be patient but that wont make me feel any better. I know it takes time, I just hate that this is happening now.

Oh and my face is scarring. I'm going to look disgusting even when I'm done with my treatment and my face is clear.

Edited by katiejean

hey!!! dont worry about how you look at graduation...im sure you will be beautiful despite the acne! isnt it odd tho how your your body knows just how to screw everything up at just the right time?!!! anyways im starting accutane in 4 days...after reading all these blogs im getting so nervous about the IB. my best friend took it and her IB only lasted about a week and the she just got progressively better after that first week. another friend said she didnt even really remember the IB...i dont know how i'll react! anyways good luck...and just try to enjoy this exciting time. years from now it wont be the acne you remeber about that day!

Have a great time at your graduation! I am agreeing with keiko&shamu on this one, I am sure you will look beautiful. Just sit back and enjoy it!