Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zynne

Retin-A 0.05% cream log

Hi, I'm new to acne.org, but I've been fighting acne every since I was 11 or 12. I'm now in my late 20s, and my skin is what most people would consider "just fine," but it's not great and I hate to leave the house without makeup.

During my teens, I had very oily skin, clogged pores, and a pathological compulsion to pick at small things until they created angry red things. I had relatively little inflammatory acne, and have never had cysts. When I turned 18, I went on a very low dose of accutane for about 6 months, experienced relatively minor side effects, and never suffered from inflammatory acne ever again, except for minor pustules on my back.

Unfortunately, the accutane never did very much for my clogged pores. To make matters worse, I can't seem to leave my blackheads and whiteheads alone, and after I'm done picking at them, they leave red/brown marks that last for months and months. My skin is definitely not awful, and very manageable if I wear foundation, but I would like to be able to feel confident with bare skin. I am very self-conscious of my bumpiness and splotches.

Over the years, I've tried every over-the-counter remedy there is, and have come to the conclusion that neither BP nor salicylic acid does anything for my clogged pores at all. In fact, they make me break out in pimples. So, about 10 days ago, I started using Retin-A 0.05% cream. I'm also taking Ocella (generic Yasmin), which does wonders for oil production on my face and scalp, and eliminates all bacne.

I'm starting this log because I haven't been able to find any other logs where the author is dealing with clogged pores and discoloration only. Cystic and inflammatory acne simply isn't an issue for me. I hope that anyone with a similar story to mine will leave helpful comments, because I am definitely in need of encouragement at this point!

This is where I'm at, on day 10:

- Very red chin (I've taken to applying the cream to my chin on alternate nights only, because it stings like crazy otherwise, and I don't have big issues with my chin anyway)

- Intense flaking on chin and around mouth, small amount of flaking where my cheeks meet my nose (I'm using Cetaphil sensitive skin moisturizer as needed and Aveeno SPF 30 facial sunblock when I leave the house)

- Small red pimples on my forehead, which is typically a pimple-free zone. I'm concerned that my long, heavy bangs are irritating it, but there's nothing I can really do about them.

- No adverse effects at all on my nose or most of my cheek surface, but no improvement, either.

I'll be checking in regularly with my progress. I hope to hear from people with similar skin conditions and experience. Thanks!

--Zynne