Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SA_Acne

My experience with caffeine / coffee and acne.

I am a 33 year old female and started experiencing "acne breakouts" in 2003. I had very clear skin all the way up until this point. My acne is moderate and chronic.

I keep researching the subject of acne in hopes of finding some resolution to my problem (without taking Accutane or oral antibiotics). I continue to find articles and websites claiming it is a myth that food or drinks contribute to acne breakouts. Now, for some, that may be true; however, that is not the case for me. Certain foods and drinks high in sugar and/or caffeine most definitely cause acne breakouts for me. Even the smallest amount of caffeine that is found in decaf coffee is enough to cause a change in my skin condition. Instead of drinking Coke or Pepsi (or other caffeinated beverages), I have been opting for root beer, as most root beers do not have caffeine, but they do have sugar (sugar in soda doesn't seem as bad for my acne problem in comparison to sugar in candies for example...candy does a number on me). Barq's Root Beer has a very small amount of caffeine (in comparison to Coke or Pepsi for example), but it is enough to cause a change in my skin. I can almost feel the breakouts coming on shortly after consuming caffeine.

For me, the biggest culprits are caffeine, sugar, and chocolate. Each of these are foods that raise cortisol (stress hormone) levels in the body. I notice that when I am under stress, I get very serious outbreaks, as well. So, I have determined that the problem is an increase in cortisol levels. Orange juice also makes me break out and I learned, through Dr. Perricone, that one glass of orange juice raises cortisol as much as one cup of coffee.

This is just my experience.

I have given up all coffee and caffeine for about a year now, and I only drink water.

I drink a lot of caffeine also...not really sweets...but as of right now in my life, I'm just cutting it out just in case. They say that diet doesn't have much to do with acne, but it definitely doesn't hurt :/

I drink a lot of caffeine also...not really sweets...but as of right now in my life, I'm just cutting it out just in case. They say that diet doesn't have much to do with acne, but it definitely doesn't hurt :/

What "they say" is highly incorrect and there are several studies supporting the diet-acne connection.

That aside, caffeine has never seemed to negatively impact my skin. Ever.