Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sargedrb

Picked at red mark; what to do for healing?

Okay...so I've been on Retin-a for a little over 2 weeks now. It's been working pretty well...no IB, no real serious irritation, but no real effect on red marks yet (though I haven't had any new acne after the first 2 days, when I just had one pimple). Anyhow, I've been badly wanting this red mark that is pretty big, located right on the corner of my smile (so every time I smile it becomes inflamed, and looking straight at me it looks like there is a weird vertical line on the right side of my face)....there was a big blackhead that's been under the surface of the red mark for about 2 months now, and I lost it last night and picked at it. Of course, it's on its way to scabbing now.

I'm wondering: what should I do to ensure it doesn't scar? I washed it off, I've been trying to keep it wet, and I put neosporin pain relief cream on as well.

Also, here was my thought in picking at it: I've never had red marks stay like this one, and I was thinking that maybe the reason why is because of this blackhead underneath the surface...maybe it was somehow preventing healing. But, it was definitely underneath the surface, so I know this might be a farfetched idea. I also thought that since my face has almost always had success healing, and fairly quickly, without leaving red marks in the past, but it hasn't with this one, that there was something different about this one, and that was why the blackhead thought came to me. Finally, I was thinking since I've been building up this collagen thanks to the retin-a for a few weeks now, perhaps it would heal back better after I picked, or trigger a new, more full healing process. Any credence to any of these thoughts?

At the very least, what should I do to make sure this doesn't end up even worse than it was when I picked? If you pick at red marks are you basically screwed? (this one has been around for like 2 months, and was fading reall slow.)

Thank you all for your help, for reading this, I know it reads like I'm in a panic, because I am. :(

Okay...so I've been on Retin-a for a little over 2 weeks now. It's been working pretty well...no IB, no real serious irritation, but no real effect on red marks yet (though I haven't had any new acne after the first 2 days, when I just had one pimple). Anyhow, I've been badly wanting this red mark that is pretty big, located right on the corner of my smile (so every time I smile it becomes inflamed, and looking straight at me it looks like there is a weird vertical line on the right side of my face)....there was a big blackhead that's been under the surface of the red mark for about 2 months now, and I lost it last night and picked at it. Of course, it's on its way to scabbing now.

I'm wondering: what should I do to ensure it doesn't scar? I washed it off, I've been trying to keep it wet, and I put neosporin pain relief cream on as well.

Also, here was my thought in picking at it: I've never had red marks stay like this one, and I was thinking that maybe the reason why is because of this blackhead underneath the surface...maybe it was somehow preventing healing. But, it was definitely underneath the surface, so I know this might be a farfetched idea. I also thought that since my face has almost always had success healing, and fairly quickly, without leaving red marks in the past, but it hasn't with this one, that there was something different about this one, and that was why the blackhead thought came to me. Finally, I was thinking since I've been building up this collagen thanks to the retin-a for a few weeks now, perhaps it would heal back better after I picked, or trigger a new, more full healing process. Any credence to any of these thoughts?

At the very least, what should I do to make sure this doesn't end up even worse than it was when I picked? If you pick at red marks are you basically screwed? (this one has been around for like 2 months, and was fading reall slow.)

Thank you all for your help, for reading this, I know it reads like I'm in a panic, because I am. :(

retin a alters how skin rebuilds itself. so i would assume that it will be ok once it heals, it might be a scar, depending on how much you picked it tbh. my skin leaves very bad red PIH marks. I rarely scar, only if I really dig at the skin.

with regards to the black head, yeah i would have probably picked it out to and allow the skin to heal better. this is what i am currently doing. i dug out a black head that was sat on my forehead for ages. it was small mind you, but i was stressed and picked it out.

I am now leaving my face alone for rest of the week fingers crossed, then seeing what my dermo has to say on monday.

will be first time ive seen a derm. I probably should have done it last year.

dont panic. also in my experience if the cut/wound is kept moist it will take longer to heal.. you want it to scab, dry up and then over time the scab will fall off and nice new skin will be underneath

You should use Hypoglos or a cream for irritated skin (for babies). This is full of vitamin A and zinc. You can also use aloe vera. Try it and let us know if it works to reduce redness.