Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After reading and posting on this site for a few days I have come to a conclusion.

Looking great feeds our ego, but being a great person feeds our soul.

I can't say that I don't have issues with the way I look, it's part of living life. I think the main problem with acne is the way it makes us look to ourselves and other people. This is a really hard issue to overcome, I haven't yet. But if we really look at it, being a good person and having a good personality WILL get us further in life. A lot of people have stated how acne has made them more sympathetic, empathetic, an overall better person. Embrace that part of yourself!!

ALL looks fade. But some fade even faster with an ugly soul. So feed your soul and let your ego be silenced sometimes. It will help. I intend to practice this more. It will lead all of us to a better place in our lives. I'm pretty sure.

What do you think?

I totally agree with you. I have a brother, and I constantly have girls tell me that he is good looking, gorgeous, so fine, etc (I never know what to say to them...) Unfortunately for them he is a selfish arrogant asshole, it's kind of funny for me when they find out. I may not be the best looking person in the world, but I'm a pretty nice guy (even though I just called my own brother a selfish arrogant asshole, yes)

I dont have a lot of friends but I have a few good ones, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. It's funny what optimism and a little confidence can do for you.

I hate my acne most times... but if I could trade it for some other life without acne, I wouldn't. I like that it's taught me to really listen to people and know them, instead of judging them by clothes, looks, possessions.

I used to be so shallow and cared more about my looks than how I treated other people. I'm so glad acne changed that :) It's like karma really is a bitch, ha.

I totally agree with you. I have a brother, and I constantly have girls tell me that he is good looking, gorgeous, so fine, etc (I never know what to say to them...) Unfortunately for them he is a selfish arrogant asshole, it's kind of funny for me when they find out. I may not be the best looking person in the world, but I'm a pretty nice guy (even though I just called my own brother a selfish arrogant asshole, yes)

I dont have a lot of friends but I have a few good ones, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. It's funny what optimism and a little confidence can do for you.

Haha I don't blame you for calling him that. You know him well so it has to be at LEAST partially true. Yes, the girls find out. And move on to the next "gorgeous" guy... until they realize they have been looking for someone like you. I'm not saying that you aren't good looking, you know what I mean. Not all of us can be 10's : / LOL. I don't have a lot of friends... I have a few that know me and care about me. I don't need a posse. Optimism and confidence will get us back out in the world! :)

Being hot definitely isn't important. If everyone in the world was hot, I don't think we'd appreciate personalities half as much. People wouldn't have much of them anyways.

Personally, I think I am very good looking, but that's confidence. People need that. But I think people tend to take confidence too far where it gets to a point of cockiness. That's when you start fading on the inside.

Plus, does it really matter what people think of your looks? It doesn't make a difference to me at all. Inside, I know I'm attractive, and I'm a great person. I'm living for me - something people don't really do that often. I brush it off and move forward, because if people are bashing you, they aren't even worth thinking about at all.

thats exactly what i would say, even the brother part cuz im stuck with a model for a brother and i get compared against him a lot, physically, but i can honestly say that ive got fewer but truer friends, and im complimented a lot on the way i interact with other people

I have to say yes I have acne, but I was always friends with the "geeks, the different ones even before I had acne. so I guess It just made me even more of low self-esteem. I have anorexia for quite many years, and the acne just makes me think I am so hideous. the only thing I could say it is has made me realize who is my true friends and who isnt. Bc the ones that stuck with me, through both clear skin days and bad acne days, would say really makes me happy!!! I really really wish I had clear skiin, but until then I will keep treating people with respect. Bc looks are not everything, and acne does not make someone who they are, they are so much more than that. now if I can only treat myself the same, and look at myself the same as I do others.

I'm probably a bit shallow but I do think looks are somewhat important. It's not THE most important thing though. I mean there's no point in being super hot if you have no personality. I'm okay with not being the hottest person on earth but I do want to be decent looking. The better I think I look, the more my personality shines through so that's why I think it's important.

Edited by Jay326

It's not about looking hot, but about not looking like Frankestein's evil twin brother.

At least that's the way I look at it :/

i dont care what you guys say ..but looks are the most important in life.....im not saying im like at ..but think about ..this ....if 2 girls go up to you or guys if your a girl....one is a supper model....and the other one ...is ok looking nothing specialll...they both have great personalities ..

wich one would you choose?

2 people go to a job interview...were they worker has to interact with people on a dayly basis...one us full of acne..the other one is good looking wich one are they going to pick

?

is even proven that good looking people have it easy in life/..

my final conclusion...looks matter more than personality ....than after looks than the personality comes in to plat

i dont care what you guys say ..but looks are the most important in life.....im not saying im like at ..but think about ..this ....if 2 girls go up to you or guys if your a girl....one is a supper model....and the other one ...is ok looking nothing specialll...they both have great personalities ..

2 people go to a job interview...were they worker has to interact with people on a dayly basis...one us full of acne..the other one is good looking wich one are they going to pick

?

my final conclusion...looks matter more than personality ....than after looks than the personality comes in to plat

yea pretty much.

Looks are almost always underrated. Even when we complain about how shallow it is to profile, judge, or focus on the appearance of people, we know we do it ourselves.

Looks are important, and not to be underestimated. It's sometimes important to look at things from the surface, otherwise you may end up a very unhappy person, without realizing you're not shallow for caring about how things look.

And I notice a lot of emphasis on PERSONALITY in this thread. Maybe I'm different from most people if this is a general consensus, but I prefer intelligence to personality most of the time. You can get more out of an intelligent person than you can out of the friendliest person in the world.

Ok what if there is a "supermodel" with acne and an "average" girl without acne. You think both have great personalities and they both like you.... who's the winner there eh?

I just don't understand when people say looks are important here. A person looks the same with or without acne really... I mean obviously not havng acne looks better but still, I think whatever makes you attracted to someone is there regardless of their acne.

Ok what if there is a "supermodel" with acne and an "average" girl without acne. You think both have great personalities and they both like you.... who's the winner there eh?

I just don't understand when people say looks are important here. A person looks the same with or without acne really... I mean obviously not havng acne looks better but still, I think whatever makes you attracted to someone is there regardless of their acne.

Agreed, and half of the gorgeous girls I meet have acne. But this isn't necessarily the point. I think the thread refers to a longer train of thought. Acne is only one small contributing factor to looks, hence why this thread is here on this forum. But let's be honest... how often do we think about the separate comedones and pustules on our face, rather than our appearance in general when we're out in public? We worry people will think of us as ugly, rather than individuals with small bacterial infections spread across their face, who would look better without them.

Edited by treefase93

Wow. Good Point!

Agreed, and half of the gorgeous girls I meet have acne. But this isn't necessarily the point. I think the thread refers to a longer train of thought. Acne is only one small contributing factor to looks, hence why this thread is here on this forum. But let's be honest... how often do we think about the separate comedones and pustules on our face, rather than our appearance in general when we're out in public? We worry people will think of us as ugly, rather than individuals with small bacterial infections spread across their face, who would look better without them.

Yes we all want to look good, whatever your definition of looking good is. But I see comments like, here's a supermodel and here's a cute girl with acne. It's not that simple. It really depends on what you are truly looking for. When I hear those comments I picture two guys or girls standing in front of someone like a dating show and the superficial decision of picking the hotter one just cause they're "hotter". How often does that happen in real life? Maybe it happens more than I think - since I've been with the same guy for 7 years now so I have no idea what dating is like.

Anyway, I think if you really liked someone, and they had acne, would you really ditch them to be with someone who didn't have acne?

Our society today is very superficial and its fixated on being perfect physically but personality does play a big role. When most of us meets someone new the first thing they notice is looks and eventually you get to see the persons personality and then you decide wether you like them or not.

Personally i think i have an ok personality im nice, i try to make people laugh and im non-judgemental BUT i am very shy so my personality does not get through so i think that if i were slightly more attractive then people would notice me, like me and talk to me. ugh! X(

....if 2 girls go up to you or guys if your a girl....one is a supper model....and the other one ...is ok looking nothing specialll...they both have great personalities ..

depends on the kind of supper he was modelling

*chuckle* Oh, figgy.

Super models appeal to some people. "Regular folk" appeal to others. My goodness. Super Models are not all that and a bag of chips. Tall and lanky can still be unattractive. Have you seen these folks without the hair and makeup done? 9 times out of 10 they're plain janes (or johns), but very tall. Nothing special! Just regular human beings. Get your minds out of magazines and into reality.

?

LOL I can guarantee that is NOT true. You can't just generalize like that.

And I can honestly say if the guy other than the super model was a nerdy/dorky funny guy, I'd pick him :D Wouldn't you feel inferior with the super model anyways? I know I would.

Uh...good looking people do NOT have it easiest in life, and no, it's not so important to be hot. I work with 25+ men at my company. There are only two worth taking a second glance at and they are not top dogs. The tops dogs are educated in business and smart as hell, not "lookers".