Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Claire29

2 years on Spiro. Derm refuses to prescribe any more

Because my doc got sniffy about giving me prescriptions for Spiro, she referred me to a derm at my local hospital who told me today that 2 years is long enough on Spiro and that they don't know what the long term effects are. I told her that there'd been studies to show that there was no problems reported in taking Spiro long term, but she wouldn't listen. Started crying my eyes out. Asked her why a derm had prescribed it for me 2 years ago, but she said that they would only have intended it as a short term thing.

She prescribed me some retin a and a duac face wash instead. I'm 31 and I can't believe I've got to go back to face full of spots and not being able to look people in the eye. I was only just starting to enjoy life.

I've still got 6 weeks of tablets left luckily, so I've got time to try and sort this. Going back to my doc this evening to see if I can be referred to another hospital, but it would be a few weeks wait for the appointment which is going to be cutting it fine. If not I guess the only option is to find a private derm, but I've no idea how much that would cost.

I can't believe I just walked through the hospital with tears streaming down my face. People must have thought I'd got some terrible prognosis. In a way I think I have as my life's over if I have to give up Spiro.

Oh that is terrible.

Maybe they're afraid of the cancer causing properties.

Do NOT use the retin-a -- you will get an IB and if you don't have the spiro your face will go nuts. I know nothing about duac, but I wouldn't use that either until you are back on spiro.

Keep looking until you find a MD to rx it for you.

Go to a different GP and ask them to refer you to a different derm. If you don't have any luck, go private. I'm not sure how much a private consulation is, and if they prescribe it for you, you will have to pay for each prescription. It's worth it though :)

I am so so scared to ever be taken off of this!! But truth is. I dont hav ANY problems on it... so if anyone tries to take me off of it I am going to fight until I can't fight anymore!!! Do what you gotta do girl find someone else who WILL prescribe it!!

Any oral antibiotic shouldn't be taken that long :\

you should use the last pills wisely

try to wean yourself off the drug

go every other day

then every two days

and every three days

..and so on

(switching every week)

it's really the best way, that stinks though.

Any oral antibiotic shouldn't be taken that long :\

you should use the last pills wisely

try to wean yourself off the drug

go every other day

then every two days

and every three days

..and so on

(switching every week)

it's really the best way, that stinks though.

I'm not sure if you're referring to Spiro or not, but Spiro is not an antibiotic and it is ok to be on it indefinately.

Because my doc got sniffy about giving me prescriptions for Spiro, she referred me to a derm at my local hospital who told me today that 2 years is long enough on Spiro and that they don't know what the long term effects are. I told her that there'd been studies to show that there was no problems reported in taking Spiro long term, but she wouldn't listen. Started crying my eyes out. Asked her why a derm had prescribed it for me 2 years ago, but she said that they would only have intended it as a short term thing.

She prescribed me some retin a and a duac face wash instead. I'm 31 and I can't believe I've got to go back to face full of spots and not being able to look people in the eye. I was only just starting to enjoy life.

I've still got 6 weeks of tablets left luckily, so I've got time to try and sort this. Going back to my doc this evening to see if I can be referred to another hospital, but it would be a few weeks wait for the appointment which is going to be cutting it fine. If not I guess the only option is to find a private derm, but I've no idea how much that would cost.

I can't believe I just walked through the hospital with tears streaming down my face. People must have thought I'd got some terrible prognosis. In a way I think I have as my life's over if I have to give up Spiro.

Hi Claire29,

So sorry to hear about your troubles. Another suggestion that may help you secure lifelong prescription is investigation into your cortisol levels. This is something I've written about quite a lot on these forums because of how little people are informed of it and how it would have dramatically improved my own quest for clear skin had I known. We all know that hormones can cause trouble with skin, however there is a genetic disorder known as "21 hydroxylase deficiency" which is one cause of hormonal acne issues. 1 in 100 women have it (and that is just an estimate) and symptoms can be nonexistent to mild to very obvious. The ACTH Stimulation test is one good way of diagnosing it (however it is expensive if you don't have insurance). But barring what it could or could not be, perhaps consider getting a referral to an endocrinologist. It's impossible for one doctor to know everything about the body and medications, so it may help you to work with a doctor who has specialized in hormonal issues and how to treat them. In any case best of luck,

Spiro