Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DavidWong

Well here it goes. WTF do I have really?

This is me. Fuckme.

post-125030-1273648469_thumb.jpg post-125030-1273648482_thumb.jpg post-125030-1273648492_thumb.jpg

post-125030-1273648502_thumb.jpg

pic 0,1,2 is my left cheek, pic 3 is my right cheek.

Basically this is it, I really want more input on what condition I have. Trust me when I go to derms they only tell me to go take accutane without addressing anything and thats not professional at all.

Anyway, I'd think I have rosacea? My face is covered in redness more so than you can see from the pic. (dont we all know that...) It doesnt make much sense I've had strict dieting for 1.5 yrs. Well whatever.

And what's with the pitiful nodules you see on my left cheek. I have some on my right cheek too but they arent pitiful theyre just painful from time to time. I've had the nodules there on both my cheeks for 6.5 yrs now. My old derm injected steroid into them it did help somewhat but I dont suppose its a bright idea to keep feeding steroid into them every 2 months.

I want to know what I have. I need to know what I have. Because I want control back to my life. Please enlighten me I can use any help I can get.

What can you tell me from the pics and maybe what I should avoid?

Means alot. Thanks again.

post-125030-1273648469_thumb.jpg

post-125030-1273648482_thumb.jpg

post-125030-1273648492_thumb.jpg

post-125030-1273648502_thumb.jpg

severe acne, nodules and scarring. you need to take accutane now if you ask me.

then work on some form of skin care to lesson the appearence of scars.

the redness is the inflammation and scarring from the acne.

not sure what else I can say really, but deffo a form of anti biotic will help with this.

i admire your strength to take the photos and put them up here. hats off to you fella.

:angel:

Edited by want2beme

Your skin condition does not look like rosacea. It looks more like moderate to severe acne. The number of nodules do indicate closer to severe.

want2beme is so right; you're brave to post this. AND you've come to the right place for help and support.

I also suggest you consider the Accutane/isotretinoin route.

In the interim, you could start the regimen and see how it goes. Yours is the kind of acne that would benefit greatly from something as strong as Accutane. There are side effects, so read up about Accutane and then talk to your derm again. Definitely return to your derm soon; more scars could develop.

Hey David, accutane is the way to go. I'd say your acne is just moderate, you look like you got a couple of active nodules but the accutane will sort that out quick, maybe after that you should seek Chemical peels for your scarring. I really hope it all works out for you man, and be strong! Remember lots of us are in the same shit.

Thanks for all your warm replies.

I do agree about taking accutane. I've taken accutane before 8.5 yrs ago and I did develop some side effects...

Anyway I took the blood test recently and barely "qualify". Thats why Im really hesitate about re-taking. I also wanna know better my condition before I put that into my system again. Thats the whole purpose of me posting. Derms didnt give me the reasons I need.

So I wanna elaborate bit more about my condition.

As red as both sides of my cheeks is, they are absolutely flat on the surface. I mean there's the beard but thats it.

I had strict dieting for 2.5 years excluded all poultry, beef, dairy, junk food and drinks... But I gave up recently hahaha what the hell

Had laser treatment (C6) for 10 sessions - it helped with redness while I was at it.

Nodules are always itchy as hell

Recent intake I took was 1 yr ago, tetracycline for almost 1 yr.

Despite all that, my weird nodules and redness are still there.

Now I am using regimen - duac in day, differin in night, cetaphil fashwash day and night. moisturizer if I need it.

I am already better comparing to say 3 weeks ago... :)

Bless me.

I noticed there are several accutane brands out there now. Any links about comparisons between them?

Thanks again.

Thanks for all your warm replies.

I do agree about taking accutane. I've taken accutane before 8.5 yrs ago and I did develop some side effects...

Anyway I took the blood test recently and barely "qualify". Thats why Im really hesitate about re-taking. I also wanna know better my condition before I put that into my system again. Thats the whole purpose of me posting. Derms didnt give me the reasons I need.

So I wanna elaborate bit more about my condition.

As red as both sides of my cheeks is, they are absolutely flat on the surface. I mean there's the beard but thats it.

I had strict dieting for 2.5 years excluded all poultry, beef, dairy, junk food and drinks... But I gave up recently hahaha what the hell

Had laser treatment (C6) for 10 sessions - it helped with redness while I was at it.

Nodules are always itchy as hell

Recent intake I took was 1 yr ago, tetracycline for almost 1 yr.

Despite all that, my weird nodules and redness are still there.

Now I am using regimen - duac in day, differin in night, cetaphil fashwash day and night. moisturizer if I need it.

I am already better comparing to say 3 weeks ago... :)

Bless me.

I noticed there are several accutane brands out there now. Any links about comparisons between them?

Thanks again.

I don't know of any comparisons between the generic Accutanes.

You might also try cool compresses on your skin. Stick a wet washcloth in the freezer, let it freeze, then lay it across your face. Recline, rest, relax, until the cloth is warm again. It will help soothe the itching, may help a tiny bit with the redness and irritation. It won't cure, but it will feel better and maybe even look a little better.

Dude, you should go on the DKR for just a few months and see what happens. If that doesnt work try accutane. If it does work how awesome would that be? (its done wonders for my inflammed acne). I would recommend u try it first, exactly how dan describes...no deviation!

thanks Wynne. Im having a read now I do care for my body.

hey Max thanks, but whats a DKR?

Dan Kearn regimen

I second the idea for chemical peels for the scarring, if you haven't had that yet. Along with the acne.org regimen for skin to try to clear up any active acne you have. Best of luck to you!

You mentioned strict dieting for quite some time, but it doesn't seem like you had a focus here, you were just eliminating some foods and not others.

First off, eliminating meat and poultry can cause issues, not only with your skin but it can make you anemic and low energy; beef gets a bad rap and is loaded with B Vitamins which are good for energy and your metabolism. B5 has also been proven to be very good for your skin. Secondly if you step it up to organic beef you get a good dose of Omega 3 which is great for your skin.

Eliminating junk food is a good idea, but I'd say you should eliminate SUGAR period. You also mentioned that some of your active acne is very itchy, that leads me to believe you might have a bigger issue going on.

What are your other symptoms aside from acne and itchy skin? Do you have dandruff or an itchy scalp? Do you have mood swings, any jock itch or rectal itch? Is your tongue coated white?

PANIC

thanks for your replies. doing peeling on my skin is a scary thought to me. Im too fragile from inside out perhaps haha

I was doing C6 laser as I mentioned earlier and it helped a bit. Im thinking what may be the better choice for my skin condition and which is less costly

I dont think I have dandruff or an itchy scalp. I have oily skin. hell no rectal itch...

my tongue is whiteish yes what does that suggest..?

You should either get accutane or the smoothbeam laser for acne. Both are very effective (accutane more so). Smoothbeam also has the benefit of actually improving your scars as well as being highly effective for acne. You should also get prescribed an antibiotic for a dual attack on acne. After this, get fraxel done. Your scars are the exact scars (shallow, boxcar type) that fraxel (preferably repair) would improve dramatically.

My acne is slightly worse than yours but overall it's very similar (I thought i was looking at my own pics). I get cysts around the jawline and my face is very oily. I've gone on accutane twice and I've tried avoiding dairy products/nuts/chocolate/junk food/anything that's remotely related to acne. nothing worked.

How old are you, btw?

Thanks for your msgs again.

again my face is completely flat if you touch on it except from the nodules you see on the sides.

so if theres just the scars I am worrying now should I go for accutane or fraxel?

4meracneguy, from what you know will fraxel be better at treating scars than smoothbeam?

though I dont think I will have antibiotics anymore theres too much of that in my system already.

Nadal, I am 25, Asian as you can see. it's already I'd say 25% better than I was a month ago now.

I had cysts around jawline but now I just outgrew them due to aging I think. yes I am oily around the T zone but dry on cheeks and neck.

I've been applying DUAC and differin if your condition is similar to me I'd suggest giving them a try

HOWEVER

my skin is really wearing out from the benzoyl peroxide. I have lesser a skin tone now my face looks pretty dry and dull.

so please use with precaution.

I've been applying both day and night and now I'll apply one per day.

hope that helps.

I'm gonna agree with most of whats been said here. +1 on the avoid all sugar. As far as cutting meat poultry and all that goes... I've tried it. And it sucks, especially if it doesn't work. I loved meat. But heres my golden advice you you: go get an allergy test. Yes, they are expensive, ~$1000 if you get a comprehensive one. I got one 3 years ago right before going on accutane and SURPRISE I'm fucking allergic to beef, pork, and garlic (GI allergy). I cut em all out (although I did have a 2oz steak on my b-day) and did accutane for 8 months, and my severe acne is pretty much all gone. Not only that, but I FEEL WAY BETTER. Now I eat mostly lean chicken(not deep fried!), turkey and wild game (ie moose). Good Luck!

quick edit: I'm also asian, and i'm pretty sure 90% of asians are somewhat lactose intolerant. Lactose-free milk is awesome! Also, if you're worried about becoming anemic, eat canned sardines! Lots of vit E and iron, and I think they really helped my skin (I eat about 3-4 cans a week). Sure, they are high in sodium, but if you're eating healthy, your blood pressure should be fine.

Edited by EMP

thanks for your tips EMP

I always wanted to do a body assessment but dont know where to start. why havent I thought about allergy tests haha

though another friend told me I might have a stomach problem.

its easy for me on dieting since most I avoided I do not like with the exception of cheese and milk damn :(

meanwhile I'll do better cutting out sugars..

but about cutting sugar out. what can I eat? I look at my meals (chinese) I honestly have no idea how to avoid sugars lol

Edited by DavidWong

Yeah I had stomach problems for the longest time and didn't really know what it was. It wasn't severe enough for me to want to go to the doctor, although I could break my arm and still refuse to go to the doctor... haha Anyway, turns out it was those allergies I had the whole time. As far as cheese and milk goes, like I said, lactose-free milk is awesome! I recommend organic too, b/c there's less hormones and shit in there, which can fuck with your skin. As far as cheese goes, there are soy based cheeses out there that arn't half bad.

When I say cut out sugars, I mean refined sugars. fruits are still fine. Avoid white bread, it's bad, eat whole grains. Avoid soda and juices. Avoid anything really rich, oily or creamy. Do you live in Hong Kong currently? I'm half Japanese, so I don't know much about China, but I would avoid processed foods as much as possible (you don't wanna eat a bunch of MSG). Also avoid anything thats extremely spicy, they can really fuck with your skin. Fried foods (ie fried rice) are bad.

So what can you eat, right? Well, can you cook? I was thinking of posting up some easy, healthy recipes on here since I've just started cooking for myself this last year. My favorite easy meal is pan fried chicken breast with sautéed mushrooms, peppers, and broccoli over rice. I'll try and post up some recipes this week. When you're cooking you can sub out butter for olive oil and get similar results.

I support your not wanting to get on antibiotics, they didn't do anything for me and they mess with your body's natural balance.

So, in summary:

get the best allergy test you can afford (or think is reasonable)

Organic lactose-free milk, soy based cheeses = good

candies, white bread, fried food, really spicy foods, processed foods (frozen dinners) = bad

I say a little cheese is okay in moderation. same goes with alcohol. You can't spend your life avoiding what you really love, just be smart about it and don't gorge yourself.

If anyone has anything to add or if I got something wrong please post.

my acne is almost exactly like yours, multiple nodules all the time but the only diffferences is my scarring hasnt become very severe yet... Honestly i hope you the best of luck with your acne... Go on accutane

haha I avoid most you mentioned with the exception of sushi and spicies and MSGs. Absolutely Love sushi and little to moderately spicy food. I actually find my skin and tone better after a little spicy food. I can only wonder...

and about the MSG I cant cook and I work long ass hours so...

but I dont think theres a choice anymore.. so please share some easy healthy recipes or linkys :)

thanks for your tips and yes I live in HK ~

i will def go for accutane , i used to had a similar condition as yours back in the days , and i did accutane for 6 months and my acne clear up , now 5 years later my acne has comeback but never as it was before , however i deciced with my derm to go on accutane for 4 months to prevent any possible relapse. honestly is the drug to reat acne and oily skin conditions as i used to have. i dont want to irritate my skin with topical medications that only irritate my skin and make it feels more vulnerable to break out. accutane is what ive helped me the most so im expending my money in a way that its going to actually help me to get rid of my imperfections. no matter what dont beat up on yourself ive been there and i know how you can feel. youre not alone on this. keep it up and do what it works best for you.

best,

E!

You may be dealing with a yeast over-growth. White coated tongue, itchy skin, acne etc are hallmark signs of candida over-growth. This can occur for a number of reasons, but the most common reasons are:

a) poor diet: high processed foods, sugar, crap etc

b) too many anti-biotics: you have acne and it sounds like youv'e been on lots of medicines except Accutane

c) stress: this is a big factor as stress reeks havoc on your digestive and immune health

-----------------------------------

Diet: When I say cut out sugar I mean ALL SUGAR, including fruits and grains. Grains and fruit sugar will still feed the yeast if you do indeed have an over-growth. What you need is a very strict diet of meat, veggies and healthy fat for awhile until you can build up your immune system to get the yeast back in check. You also need to start taking some good vitamins to boost your health like Vitamin A, C, E and a B-complex. A good Cod Liver Oil would also do wonders for your skin.

Meals are easy to prepare, simply grill chicken, beef, fish and add in a couple handful of green leafy veggies.

Go here to start learning more on how you can not only cure your acne without harsh drugs like Accutane but also improve your overall health.

You need to have a strong will and dedication to succeed with this program; if your gonna cheat or not stick to it, forget about it. But the good news is its only hard in the beginning, then it gets easier and your body starts to transform and crave these healthy foods rather than the garbage you were eating before.

Lastly white rice = sugar, that's definitely not helping your skin.

www.healingnaturallybybee.com Read all the Candida Yeast articles, there's a lot but it should give you a great place to start. If your serious about this regime and need help send me a PM and I'd be glad to help.

I can tell you one thing for certain: If you decide to take Accutane your only suppressing the CAUSE of your acne and it most likely will come back. Find the CAUSE and cut it off at the source, acne rarely comes by itself, its one of many messages your body is trying to tell you that something isn't right inside.

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!

The voice of the people say to go to accutane, and you may take that option. When I see your face I see bacteria, and to kill those you can also take antibiotics. I never try accutane, I just use tetracycline to clear my face. Then you browse this site and learn all the stuff you need to know to keep you face clean, without antibiotics, without accutane. Dan's regime for instance, but first you need strong action here.

thanks guy for feedbacks again and esp. Panic.

that's exactly what I needed than just suppressing the acne with accutane while screwing up my internals even more.

and I honestly didnt know or thought of white rice being sugary oh my god that compose over 50% of Chinese diets...

some friends recommended me taking fish oils. are there any brand or types of cod liver oil caps you'd suggest?

haha

EZEQUIEL and Corsair, accutane is always my last resort. actually 2 of my friends have taken accutane when they have lesser acne than me and all cured up over 1 yr ago. they have no idea why I am not re-taking it. not saying I def. wont take it I just want more data for better judgement...

thanks again. haaha I hope the doc will take me seriously when I ask him about the candida yeast.