Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xwan

Is it time for a visit to the dermatologist?

I'm 23, I know adult acne says that its for 25+ but my acne was mild moderate since i was a teen and it was clearing and clearing then this winter.. (If I had to guess id say January) breakouts on my chin... can't keep a pimple off my chin and with the added red marks left over... my chin just looks terrible. I might even say worse than it's ever been. Anyways I feel like this is adult acne because of how much worse it's been lately compared to the last 3 years of my life. I want to go to a dermatologist and see what they can do for me but I feel like most people have stories that say "I went to the dermatologist they put me on 'X' then 'Y' then 'Z' and they did nothing. I've done everything trying to get rid of the acne. I've been taking supplements (1 50 mg zinc, multiple Fish oil pills, Vitamin D3, and a multivitamin for the hell of it) I drink LOTS of water. I have frequented the gym for years now, (not so much cardio, but I lift weights a lot). I try to cut out dairy completely but its so difficult, either way I've massively reduced the amount of dairy I was having from before. -- Side note -- About a week ago my skin was looking much better, I decided to have a few pieces of pizza because 1) it was very tempting 2) I figured I'd see how my skin reacted in a few days. Not much new was happening then about 2 days ago a pimple popped up and I've had 1 new 1 every day since. -- So I do feel like Dairy may be a problem for me.... Just find it weird that suddenly my skin reacts so badly to dairy.. .I mean I used to eat Dairy all the time. --- Anyways, I guess my question for everyone is what has worked for you all? Should I try visiting the dermatologist? Also, were there certain foods you reacted poorly to?

Oh yeah, and I follow a pretty strict regimen too, just started with Dan's products but I've been following the Regimen with store bought products for years.

Edited by xwan

If it has gotten worse, yes, a visit to the derm would be in order now.

hmmm ive been thinking ill have to.

hmmm ive been thinking ill have to.

It can't hurt!! I would go :)

Perhaps ill set an appointment for next week... anyone have any luck with the anti biotics he will probably recommend me?

Hey xwan~

I recently had to go to the Derm. Im 27 and got hit with really bad acne, all over my chin first, then it got all over my cheeks, and side of my face.

I was on PROACTIV for the past ten years and had flawless skin- and earlier this year, i made a mistake and switched to MURAD, which totally F^&**^$#! my skin. Ive been trying to get it back in order since.....

Got to the point where I had to to see a doctor- he prescribed me DOXCYCLINE and a topical cream BENZACLIN. Ive been on it for a week only, little results so far.....And i just realized Im allergic to DOXCY ( been getting itchy on parts of my body and bruising). So now, i gotta go back and see the doc to have him give me different anitibiotics. I just hope Im not allregic to the next one, because I reallly wana get rid of my acne. Its had the Biggest affect on my life so far~

So, go with your gut instinct, if your acne is bad, and you can't figure out what to use OTC, topically, go with "MEDICINE". And you need to figure out what works for your skin-everyone's different.

Good Luck and Wish me luck~

I used to go to the dermatologist when I was younger, took Accutane but the acne came back

with a bad diet. Not just from dairy or chocolate but from oranges and potatoes too. I found my chin acne went away when I stopped eating potatoes.

But what foods break you out is different for everyone. Generally speaking, I'd think being on a low glycemic diet works the best. The trouble is, you can't really waver from it. I was pretty clear up until the weekend and I had pizza, garlic bread and fries and now I've broken out all over my right cheek.

Here are some other foods that could cause breakouts that aren't often talked about:

bananas

watermelon

strawberries

peanut butter

seafood

Some might even suggest wheat can break you out, but I've found eating a whole wheat rye bread doesn't phase my skin. It's extremely difficult to cut that out of the diet too, so I'd try cutting everything else out before I try cutting that out.

And depending on how bad your acne is, it could take at least 3 months for your skin to get really clear. But I think it's worth it-it's a lot cheaper than medications, anyway.

You can also try substituting soy milk/rice milk/almond milk for regular milk. Although soy products can break some people out as well. I usually just have it once a day with cereal.

Hope this helps you out a little. Good luck!

how can watermeleon cause breakouts??

I'd heard it was one of those high glycemic fruits that could spike blood sugar levels.

That's why I listed it.