Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nolteteam

Vitamin D supplements helped me!

I'm a 42-yr old female who has struggled with some form of acne since I was a teenager. When I was in my late 30's I developed, what my Dermatologist called, "hormonal acne." I had cystic acne, mostly on my cheeks and jawline, and occasionally on my forehead. I would always have one or two lesions on my face on any given day. Just about the time those would heal, one or two more would appear. I had acne lesions regardless of which day of my menstrual cycle.

For 15 years I've been on various forms of antibiotics off and on, which I think have done more harm than good to my body as a whole. About 6 months ago I read a post on this website in which a member suggested that adding Zinc and Flaxseed Oil to her diet had helped improve her acne. I tried this, and it did help a little. Another trip to my Dermatologist for advice resulted in scripts for Differin (to increase collagen production for "beautification," Dr. said), Acanya gel (topical antibiotic to treat the more minor acne breakouts, Dr. said), and Solodyn (only an oral antibiotic can help hormonal acne, Dr. said), along with voucher/coupons for all three medications.

I used the Solodyn for one week, but then discontinued it. I really, really didn't want to go the oral antibiotic route again. The topicals seemed to help somewhat, but didn't, of course, do much to help the cystic acne.

It was when I added Vitamin D supplements to my diet (continuing to take the flaxseed and zinc) that my cystic acne finally disappeared. I didn't believe it would last, so I decided to wait for two months before joining this site and posting my own experience.

I've read that taking Vitamin D in high doses can be harmful, so blood tests and monitoring by a physician would be wise.

I hope my success continues, and I wish all of you success as well.

"only an oral antibiotic can help hormonal acne, Dr. said" ...Don't ever go back to this person... please!

First of all, I am sorry you have had such a long and arduous struggle with acne. I cringe a little when someone says they have been directed to take so many antibiotics for so long.

Vitamin D is one of the few instances in which dietary supplementation has garnered a fair amount of scientific backing... it is one of the only things that conventional and alternative health care practitioners can seem to agree on haha. I would definitely have your levels tested regularly.

So you are still taking it now, and are clear of acne? Have you always eaten the same things for the most part? Have you ruled out any other food issues i.e. allergies & intolerances, and/or tweaked your macro-nutrient ratios at all ever?

Clearly you can see that there are other underlying things at play here... things that certainly do not necessitate taking drugs that destroy your natural internal flora.

“Most diseases are the result of medication which has been prescribed to relieve and take away a beneficent and warning symptom on the part of Nature.†~ Elbert Hubbard