Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
katesorad

I have severe acne and NOTHING has helped me. Help!

Hi, I'm new here.. I am a 20 year old female with severe acne. I've had pimples since maybe 7 or 8 years old, but it started getting severe around age 12 or 13. Since then, I've tried everything you can buy from a store including Proactiv and basically everything by Clean & Clear, etc. Nothing worked. I started going to a dermatologist and tried several prescription medications including Minocycline (I remember the name because I was on it the longest) and tons of topicals such as Tazorac and Duac (what I currently attempt to use). I also had gotten acne facials every 3 weeks for almost 2 years (not much sign of improvement) and laser surgery treatment. After ringing my parents up thousands of dollars, I requested to my doctor to try Accutane. My request was denied because I have had issues with depression (treated with medication).

I am stuck. I have no idea where to go from here. Can anyone relate to this and have any suggestions for me?

By the way, I am on birth control and one depression medication. The depression medication does not have any reported side effects of acne.

It might be an hormonal problem, in that case you may try birth control pills or simply take another antibiotic, not the same. You should try tetracycline, 500mg twice a day for two to three months until you are clear. You need prescription for this.

:eh:

Try getting an allergy test, it could be anything. I found out I had a GI allergy to beef, pork, and garlic; I cut them out of my diet, did a course of accutane, and started eating healthy and exercising. My severe cystic acne is now pretty much gone and now I'm just trying to get rid of my scars. Since you can't do accutane try BC, it helps a lot of girls. Try to think positive (I know that seems impossible) and keep your eyes on the prize! And remember, you're not alone in this. If you're feeling down you can message me anytime. :)