Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Corsair

Does Antibiotics reduce oil production?

Hi, fellas, just one question: I used to take tetracyline to keep my face clean. One thing I noticed is that besides killing bacteria, it also keep my face not that oily, that is to say reducing the production of oil.

Have anyone noticed the same thing? Does anyone have an explanation for that? :think:

Edited by Corsair

It s strange or there is a relation because:

a) when you take antibiotics you kill bacteria and also reduce oil production.

b) when you take accutane you reduce oil production (sebaceous gland function) and bacteria seems to stop f around.

Acnes bacteria will be always there, is a normal skin bacteria (like stomachal bacterias, intestines, etc).

I answer myself: yes, because drugs like antibiotics affects the sebum molecular composition (less bacteria means less lipids, perhaps less Fatty acids). This because sebum, in its transit to surface, is affected by biodegradation.

:whistle:

I actually went from a dry alligator to an oil slick on minocycline. I'm not sure if its the mino or the tretinoin cream or combination of the two but I'm soooo oily now (and have never been so before). I asked to switch from cream to gel and derm said it was normal to be oily after mino treatment.