Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
King Rat

Too many nuts?

I love nuts. Like, a lot. They're delicious, fairly inexpensive, and high in calories and protein, which is great for me since I lift weights. But, it has recently come to my attention that they aren't so great for people with acne, and I'm probably eating way too many. :(

I consume a half cup of almonds a day and I sometimes throw about a fourth to a half of a cup of mixed nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts) on top of that.

So yeah, does that sound like a ridiculous amount or what? I haven't really noticed any irregularity. I have 1-2 bowel movements a day. Does this mean my system can handle/digest them alright?

Also, are there any other nut lovers here? If so, how many of them are you able to eat without it effecting your acne, if any at all?

I love nuts. Like, a lot. They're delicious, fairly inexpensive, and high in calories and protein, which is great for me since I lift weights. But, it has recently come to my attention that they aren't so great for people with acne, and I'm probably eating way too many. :(

I consume a half cup of almonds a day and I sometimes throw about a fourth to a half of a cup of mixed nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts) on top of that.

So yeah, does that sound like a ridiculous amount or what? I haven't really noticed any irregularity. I have 1-2 bowel movements a day. Does this mean my system can handle/digest them alright?

Also, are there any other nut lovers here? If so, how many of them are you able to eat without it effecting your acne, if any at all?

I eat only 1 1/2 tbs of almond butter raw, and then later I eat about 8-9 cashew raw.

That's it. Too much would break me out on my forehead ( I think ) happened before.. ^^

I don't know if I will break out now by eating more, but I don't want to try that yet. ^_^

Edited by EddieE

As long as you don't have any immediate reactions/intolerances then it's not a huge deal.

Although, most nuts have a fairly high amount of Omega 6's, so you gotta watch that O3:O6 ratio. There might be a difference between raw and roasted nuts and the effects of said fats. (Roasted may contain more denatured/oxidized fats, and therefore might cause a worse inflammatory or allergenic response).

It is also important to consider the ratio of poly-unsaturated to mono-unsaturated fats. Higher mono- is generally better. Almonds have a lot of mono-... I can a *TON* of raw almonds with no ill effects. You'd be hard pressed to find such a good source of vitamin E. Walnuts are also great, but I can overdo them, they are very high in polyunsaturated fats.

Here is a complete table of fatty acid content of nuts:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_to...nuts_table.html

I recently had a reaction to either walnuts or brazil nuts, although I think it was specifically the walnuts. A day or 2 after I had eaten them my chin starting going absolutely crazy with loads of tiny little whiteheads. I looked up walnuts on the internet and it turns out tree nuts are high on the potential allergy list and any food on that list can be trouble for acne sufferers

lol dude that's really funny cuz that perfectly describes my nut-eating habits (no homo). in fact i'm eating a 1/2 cup of almonds right now as i type this

i wouldn't worry about it if i were you, i think they make your stool a bit loose because they are hard to digest and because of all the fat but i think the benefits outweigh any possible risks

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to reduce my nut intake for 2 or 3 weeks and eat only one half cup on lifting days (three days a week) and see if it makes any difference with my acne. If not, I'll go back to enjoying them every day. :dance:

Drizzler, by immediate reactions, do you mean like upset stomach, bloating, headaches, stuff like that? If so, I've never experienced any of that after eating nuts. I also eat a lot of fish like salmon, tuna, and ocean perch so I don't worry about my O3/O6 ratio too much.

Drizzler, by immediate reactions, do you mean like upset stomach, bloating, headaches, stuff like that? If so, I've never experienced any of that after eating nuts.

Yeah, those would all be good examples.

One thing to keep in mind is that in nature, nuts are pretty labor intensive to harvest and consume. You wouldn't be able to stuff your face with them as easily as you can when they are pre-shelled in a bag. I by no means suggest you start living like caveman (although I'm loving my mostly paleo eating-style), but it is still interesting to put things in a sort of bio-evolutionary context. Eat them slowly and allow your "full" response to kick in.

I also eat a lot of fish like salmon, tuna, and ocean perch so I don't worry about my O3/O6 ratio too much.

Good stuff man, keep it up! I find just a serving/day or so of O3 rich fish for me has been paramount to my success. Although a super low O6:O3 ratio is ideal, I think that as long as you're getting a fair amount of O3s you have a bit more leeway. At least this has been my experience.