Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
californiaEstie

Does cutting out white bread/sugars/carbs help acne?

I'm facing a dilemma. I eat these things as my main diet:

-oatmeal

-pizza

-cereal

-milk

-pasta

-sandwiches

-fruit sometimes

-some soda at restaurants

-cheese sticks

-etc etc.

Pretty much everything you aren't supposed to eat if you are trying to help acne disappear. What do you guys eat????

Yes it does help and what you eat is real food. There are many what to eat and what you ate today threads in the Food and Recipe Index pinned under Important Topics right there at the top of the Nutrition forum.

-oatmeal

-pizza

-cereal

-milk

-pasta

-sandwiches

-fruit sometimes

-cheese sticks

-etc etc.

All of those things have their own gradients from good, better, worse, worst.

For instance, pizza can be an extremely healthy food, depending on how it is prepared, what is on it etc... and it can also be the LEAST healthy food (i.e. Pizza Hut or Totino's or something).

Sandwiches? Like spam, american cheese and mayo on wonder bread? Or organic turkey, lettuce, tomato, avocado on sprouted whole grain bread?

Oatmeal? Sugary flavored microwaveable oatmeal or pre-soaked organic steel-cut oats?

See what I am saying?

Plus anything can suddenly become an unhealthy ingredient if you have an intolerance to it. For some people, grapefruit might be a godsend food. For me, it makes me all itchy and causes little skin rashes on my fingers.

-oatmeal

-pizza

-cereal

-milk

-pasta

-sandwiches

-fruit sometimes

-cheese sticks

-etc etc.

All of those things have their own gradients from good, better, worse, worst.

For instance, pizza can be an extremely healthy food, depending on how it is prepared, what is on it etc... and it can also be the LEAST healthy food (i.e. Pizza Hut or Totino's or something).

Sandwiches? Like spam, american cheese and mayo on wonder bread? Or organic turkey, lettuce, tomato, avocado on sprouted whole grain bread?

Oatmeal? Sugary flavored microwaveable oatmeal or pre-soaked organic steel-cut oats?

See what I am saying?

Plus anything can suddenly become an unhealthy ingredient if you have an intolerance to it. For some people, grapefruit might be a godsend food. For me, it makes me all itchy and causes little skin rashes on my fingers.

Ahh I get it. Maybe I should start asking the restaurant I go to the recipe for their pizza. It's thin crust... tastes SO good, I think they have quality ingredients... although I am not sure how much that matters.

PB & J on wheat bread all day! So probably not that healthy.

Quakers oatmeal cooked in a pot + vanilla + nutmeg + cinnamon. + Raisin Bran on top :)

Yeah I see what you are saying. I guess I will delve into this more!

What is left to eat after cutting out everything that might casue acne??? I have cut out all junk food...which I lived on even though I weighed like 125! I have recently cut out dairy! I mean there isn't much left! Lol. I find my self losing a pound a week! I'm down to 117 as of thursday...sucks! I have seen improvement with acne though, but i'm on meds, topicals, washes, vitamins. Don't know what is actually working??? Maybe all together is doing something right. lol. I really need to gain some weight back! Esp. if I want to stay on my 65mg of Solodyn ( (minocycline) You have to weigh over 120!)

What is left to eat after cutting out everything that might casue acne??? I have cut out all junk food...which I lived on even though I weighed like 125! I have recently cut out dairy! I mean there isn't much left! Lol. I find my self losing a pound a week! I'm down to 117 as of thursday...sucks! I have seen improvement with acne though, but i'm on meds, topicals, washes, vitamins. Don't know what is actually working??? Maybe all together is doing something right. lol. I really need to gain some weight back! Esp. if I want to stay on my 65mg of Solodyn ( (minocycline) You have to weigh over 120!)

Hahahahah seriously. That is why I am hesitant to even try. Everything I eat would pretty much be out the window. I honestly don't know how that would work. Let me know if you find the answer! I certainly wouldn't mind losing a little weight though haha

Umm..

lean meats (chicken, turkey, some beef)

whole wheat pasta

whole wehat breads

sausage (try to find the healthiest one)

lots of veggies

some fruits have a lot of sugar, I only eat grapes, apples, kiwi, strawberry.

flax oil

hemp seeds

nuts (avoid peanuts)

there is plenty of low GI foods to eat

maybe you shouldn't be looking for a diet solution. Get clear through drugs or topicals or something.

that isn't meant to be derogatory or anything. I bet that if a lot of people here were given some magic cream that made all their acne go away, they'd drop their diets faster than you can say "cheese pizza".

Lots of people have had success on the regimen. If you haven't tried that yet.

If you are losing that much weight that fast, then clearly this is not a viable long-term solution. What are you trying to accomplish by suddenly cutting out everything which "might casue [sic] acne"? FYI, almost anything can cause acne for different people, depending on allergies, what else you eat and when. So what, even if you get clear, where will you be then? You will have no idea which thing you excluded cleared you? You should be doing this almost scientifically, testing different foods and gauging reactions, whilst improving your diet as a whole. It is annoying when people say "oh, I tried clearing my acne through diet and it didn't work; there's no connection between diet and acne" while in reality they were doing it all wrong.

Sahartar: "that isn't meant to be derogatory or anything. I bet that if a lot of people here were given some magic cream that made all their acne go away, they'd drop their diets faster than you can say "cheese pizza"."

Sadly, I do somewhat agree with you on this. But I do feel there are a large number people who are actually concerned with cleaning up their diets in the context of overall health, and see acne as part of a bigger picture. And in all honesty, I think it's only when you adapt this frame of mind that you'll get anywhere.

Edited by Drizzler

Most people who ask "what is there left to eat" clearly don't know how to cook or prepare a good meal.

The list of meals you CAN make are endless. And if you need that pasta and pizza, try zucchini pasta, or a raw pizza. Need that sandwich? Use unprocessed meat, slice it yourself and prepare some almond flour bread. Need a sweet fix for breakfast? Make some almond flour muffins or pancakes and use some stevia for added sweetness. Try almond milk or coconut milk.

I'd say everything your eating NEEDS to be out of the window.

Keep your food intake to mostly meats, fruits, nuts (no peanuts) and veggies. The ways to prepare these things are, as I said, endless. There are numerous free recipes online.