Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spiro

Spironolactone and Retin- A

Hello all,

As part of your regimen, have any of you taken spironolactone pills at 100mg/day and additionally used tretinoin cream .05% (Retin-A) with good success? The reason I'm asking is that I've been doing some research about isopropyl myristate (which is in the the cream form of retin-a) and it apparently causes serious acne for many people- this from reputable web sites, try googling it...

I've just started using the tretinoin cream to reduce redness and scarring and am concerned about that catch-22 side effect. Has anyone experienced a reaction (or lack thereof) as described? Thanks for any input,

Spiro

Hello all,

As part of your regimen, have any of you taken spironolactone pills at 100mg/day and additionally used tretinoin cream .05% (Retin-A) with good success? The reason I'm asking is that I've been doing some research about isopropyl myristate (which is in the the cream form of retin-a) and it apparently causes serious acne for many people- this from reputable web sites, try googling it...

I've just started using the tretinoin cream to reduce redness and scarring and am concerned about that catch-22 side effect. Has anyone experienced a reaction (or lack thereof) as described? Thanks for any input,

Spiro

I recently went to a derm for the first time for acne, and was perscribed doxycycline(antibiotic) and tretinoin, so I dont think you have to worry about using it. Prolly wouldn't prescribe it if it was bad right? Hope that helped :)

I always think it's a bad idea to start them together, because you won't know if it's the retin-a IB or the spiro isn't working. Retin-a almost always causes a purge. Better to wait until you're clear from the spiro and then add in the retinoid so you know what's going on if you break out.