Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaynine9

how bad does a persons acne have to be to be put on accutane?

first off this isnt regarding rosacea of facial redness so i dont know why its posted in that form... i'm just curious.... i have extremely oily skin... and have light acne. though its quite persistant... i live in canada and have good health insurance and have been thinking about going to see a derm about accutane. however im pretty sure the derm will take one look at me and tell me i dont need it at all, when i talk to others about this they pretty much tell me im rediculous for even considering it... what they dont know is i cover it extremely well with makeup. my question is... how bad does a persons acne have to be to be a candidate for the 'tane? i've heard its easier to get in canada so im thinking maybe a really low dose over a longer period of time would be beneficial for me.... idk. any comments/thoughts would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

first off this isnt regarding rosacea of facial redness so i dont know why its posted in that form... i'm just curious.... i have extremely oily skin... and have light acne. though its quite persistant... i live in canada and have good health insurance and have been thinking about going to see a derm about accutane. however im pretty sure the derm will take one look at me and tell me i dont need it at all, when i talk to others about this they pretty much tell me im rediculous for even considering it... what they dont know is i cover it extremely well with makeup. my question is... how bad does a persons acne have to be to be a candidate for the 'tane? i've heard its easier to get in canada so im thinking maybe a really low dose over a longer period of time would be beneficial for me.... idk. any comments/thoughts would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

thats my question too...lets see if you get more answers from people :shifty:

It's not so much as "how bad" does it have to be. My acne wasn't "Horribly bad" and I got accutante. Its more along the lines how many different things have you tried and that failed. I tried everything. Bunch or topicals and oral meds and nothing worked. So I got accutane. You get accutane when all else fails.

However, People with severe cases of acne get accutane almost right away., I guess it all depends on your derm.

I've seen people on these boards with a few pimples get accutane. It's not about "how bad" it's really about the dermatologist that you ask from.

Thank GOD for that oil, that's what will keep you looking younger for YEARS to come, that's why Black people look so much younger as they age! It's True :)

So....I'm pretty oiley (Like take a shower, an hour later my forehead is greasy) Gross right? lol

I did accutane for 6 months, a LOW dose of 40mg per day. I'm 175 pounds. While I was on it, WOW, completely clear skin, NO OIL, NONE, an Hour at the Gym and NO OIL, I mean none. HOWEVER, a month after I got off, started breaking out again, DERM says I should have done 80mg for my body weight, now I have to wait a year and try again. In the Meantime, the antibiotic BACTRIN has yeilded VERY GOOD results, Not Accutane esk, but accutane is not meant to be taken more than once or twice, BACTRIN can be ongoing.

So consider it carefully, other than dry lips and having to lay the moisturizer on thick, I had NO side affects from Accutane. Just NEVER pick your skin on Accutane as it WILL... not CAN, WILL cause scarring that can take years to heal, but for me....It was my saviour in a pill. (No offense to my My man Jesus :)

Good Luck!

I agree with RealTalk...it's not so much as "how bad" does it have to be.

My acne too is not really a "severe case"....but my derm said that I have had acne for 10 years and I've basically tried all my options and have gotten no results. Plus I have the cystic acne and accutane is considered one of the most effective cystic acne treatments.

It also depends a lot on your dermatologist and their opinion...

My dermatologist herself was also on accutane and so she highly recommends it.

I agree with the previous replies. My acne has never been that bad, however it is persistent and unresponsive to many treatments. I do not get large bumps...just mainly whiteheads and a few small pimples. I have oily skin with large pores in the T-Zone. I have been on accutane and it worked wonders. Low doses work extremely well for me as my skin is not horrible. Just do your research and remember that this is not a cure - many times your skin will revert to the state it was prior to accutane.

Good luck!!!