Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

Hey everyone,

so I think it's safe to say red marks are a bitch. Am I right? Nothing I do seems to get rid of mine, I've had some for almost 2 years now... I think it must be deep within my skin or some other bullshit excuse that somehow my skin can't deal with even though it can magically heal deep cuts in a month...

anyways, I just was wondering if anyone else suffers from this: even if you're red marks seem faint on a given day, if you wash or even just lightly touch them, they seem to get irritated and turn bright red? Does this ever stop happening? And why does this even happen?

Real answers would be much appreciated... I'm sure others are dealing with this as well.

Posted

Red marks suck! They are such a mind freak too. It's like you said, sometimes they look good (for me, they look the most faint in the morning when I first wake up) but then you take a shower or go workout and they get bright red! Ugh! It's horrible. I've been using tretinoin (retin-a) for the past 4 months and I have been mostly clear for almost 2 months. I didn't want to start treating the red marks until after my acne had cleared. So for the past month or so, I have been rotating between these products:

Abella glycolic renewal gel

Mario Badescu Whitening Mask

Philosophy Microdelivery Peel

Skin Laboratory HQ Peel

I use one of these products every other night. Basically my theory is that by exfoliating the crap out of my face, I will be able to get rid of the bad skin and bring up the "good skin" sooner. I also use my clarisonic and Clinique Clinical Even Better Skin Corrector every day and I still use the tretinoin cream every night even though I haven't had a pimple in like 2 months. My red marks are definitely lighter then they were a month ago. I use so many products on my face, I know SOMETHING is working, but I couldn't say which specific product it is. As long as it makes my red marks go away and doesn't make me break out, I will keep doing it.

Posted

Nice glad to hear that :)

I think my case of red marks may be slightly different cause they weren't pimples they were actually birthmarks which I had removed with laser cause I hated them with a passion... now instead of being brown they are red and my derm said it was PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) and that it will fade in time, which I'm starting to not believe because it has been over a year now and there are still really visible, I think it's deeper than the redness from a pimple.

But I'm glad you can sympathize with the touching/washing thing turning them redder. I wonder why this happens and more importantly, I wonder if it ever stops happening? I'm getting nervous and already am depressed.

Posted

Oh I also wanted to add: does exfoliating basically mean washing your face with a gentle cleanser?

Posted

I think that touching your face makes them redder because any type of touch is basically an irritation that will inflame the red marks. Plus when you are washing your face, you are like stimulating the blood flow. Same with working out, the sweat is irritating my face and the blood is pumping, so my red marks stand out alot, even if I'm wearing make up. Exfoliating just means sloughing off skin cells. You know how skin is like layers, so it helps to get rid of the dead skin cells on top by exfoliating. You can exfoliate with a gentle cleanser, but things like a clarisonic or a microdermabrasion help to get a deeper exfoliation and get rid of more flaking and dead skin cells. Honestly, I am not really gentle with my face. Some of the peels I use are only supposed to be used like once every 2 weeks and I have been using them twice a week. I am not breaking out anymore, so I feel like I don't have to be as gentle with my skin.

Posted

Hmm very interesting. So I guess it's completely normal that they get irritated through contact. It sucks though how it kind of makes you feel like you're living a lie when they are faint, because you know tomorrow they can be so much worse for no reason and it just zaps your confidence. Also, being a guy, I don't have the liberty of covering them with make up and if I do I sure as hell better not let any one find out. I guess I'm frustrated cause it's been so long I've had to deal with this now and I'm tired of having this in the back of my mind 24/7. I'm nervous that they will never disappear as it's been almost 2 years now and they still become irritated and so on. I can't envision a day where this will ever stop happening... basically I kind of feel hopeless most of the time. I wonder if microdermabrasion would speed up this process? I'm worried that it will have the reverse effect and cause more inflammation and more damage and thus dragging this horrible process out even longer.

Posted

It sounds like your skin is really sensitive. I recommend Mario Badescu's whitening mask. It is very gentle, not like a chemical peel. It also has a lot of good reviews for lightening red marks and is priced okayyyy... I mean, it's not as expensive as other things i've bought that didn't help at all.

Posted

Yup, I think it is sensitive. Does a microdermabrasion like sand blast away skin or something? Wouldn't that just make it redder b/c it's raw underneath?