Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Having to deal with social anxiety disorder and plight of misery stemming from that disorder than to have to struggle with persistent acne like such that I don't even want to get out of the house. I know that acne has held me back a great deal. I see all these people my age without it and I'm so jealous like you won't believe. People say that I could have it a lot worse. True, but it's so upsetting knowing that my acne is always on the verge of disappearing forever, but it refuses and I feel so hideous because of it. I have virtually zero friends and I haven't even dated before. I'm 20! I feel pathetic.

I also have SAD. I haven't left the house in over a month and haven't had a real friend since middle school. I've also never had an intimate relationship. You're not the only one :)

I've only had an intimate relationship once, back when I was hot and acne-free. I've always had a problem with Social Anxiety Disorder, or SAD, (clever) as Jay liked to put, actually, even before I had skin problems. I don't know why, though. Even though I was good-looking, and had a lot of friends, I was still very timid and shy around strangers, mostly people my age. It's like some weird voice in the back of my mind was telling me they were going to judge me for some reason.

I've only had an intimate relationship once, back when I was hot and acne-free. I've always had a problem with Social Anxiety Disorder, or SAD, (clever) as Jay liked to put, actually, even before I had skin problems. I don't know why, though. Even though I was good-looking, and had a lot of friends, I was still very timid and shy around strangers, mostly people my age. It's like some weird voice in the back of my mind was telling me they were going to judge me for some reason.

omg im the same thing...yeah now i have virtially no friends anymore

Are you guys getting any help for your Social Anxiety?

im enbarassed to telll my parents ...welll my mom ..i have no dad

I'm not. I went on an anti depressant that was supposed to help with all my problems including the anxiety but when I was on them I couldn't sleep at all so I stopped. I'm hoping to start seeing a therapist sometime soon...but my problems are just getting worse. I used to be able to go out every now and then to dinner, shopping, etc. Now I don't go anywhere. At all.

Edited by Jay326

For me, I don't know what will help. I've already been through counseling to minimal success at best.

For me, I don't know what will help. I've already been through counseling to minimal success at best.

dam our lifes is shit ///fuck our lives

There are three things that help me feel better: Alice in Chains, a bottle of booze, and a baseball bat. You really cannot go wrong those things.

I wake up everyday and say this. If my acne would lessen I might be able to overcome this anxiety, least of all have a fighting chance. My parents' acne went away in their mid-twenties, so I've got a good 3-6 years if we're judging this genetically. You and I need to change our ways, because once we grow out of our acne (even if we're gray, we'll get there), the emotional scars of isolation may never fade.

I wake up everyday and say this. If my acne would lessen I might be able to overcome this anxiety, least of all have a fighting chance. My parents' acne went away in their mid-twenties, so I've got a good 3-6 years if we're judging this genetically. You and I need to change our ways, because once we grow out of our acne (even if we're gray, we'll get there), the emotional scars of isolation may never fade.

i know this scared mee ...even if my acne is gone...ill probably still think that i have it ,,,,and think that im hideous so fuck my life once again

Very good point JK. Most people don't realize it. They think once their acne goes away all their problems go away too. I used to think "damn, if I could just have clear skin...my life would be so amazing". It's not until recently it hit me that even if my skin cleared up tomorrow I would be left with alot of mental damage that isn't likely to go away anytime soon.

Edited by Jay326

Agreed, Jay. I think that the long-term emotional aspect of acne even after the problem is resolved is very real, and I think that it has the potential to permanently damage our self-image.

There are three things that help me feel better: Alice in Chains, a bottle of booze, and a baseball bat. You really cannot go wrong those things.

true. alice in chains is one thing that can always make me feel better.

Very good point JK. Most people don't realize it. They think once their acne goes away all their problems go away too. I used to think "damn, if I could just have clear skin...my life would be so amazing". It's not until recently it hit me that even if my skin cleared up tomorrow I would be left with alot of mental damage that isn't likely to go away anytime soon.

I tried going on Lexapro, and it made me break out like crazy. I don't know what the hell went down with that, but I have no intention of going back on that drug. Ever.

Honestly, I was a happy person before I had skin problems. I believe I could truly be happy again if my acne and folliculitis went away for good.

I also have a question for no one in particular, just anyone who's bored enough to answer. Do you ever have so much anxiety that you literally make yourself sick? I get extreme chest pains whenever I have anxiety attacks. They're not fun. My mother is also convinced I'm going to give myself an ulcer from all of the constant worrying I do.

Anyone else have problems like this?

I tried going on Lexapro, and it made me break out like crazy. I don't know what the hell went down with that, but I have no intention of going back on that drug. Ever.

Honestly, I was a happy person before I had skin problems. I believe I could truly be happy again if my acne and folliculitis went away for good.

I also have a question for no one in particular, just anyone who's bored enough to answer. Do you ever have so much anxiety that you literally make yourself sick? I get extreme chest pains whenever I have anxiety attacks. They're not fun. My mother is also convinced I'm going to give myself an ulcer from all of the constant worrying I do.

my enxiety is so terrible when im at school..that i sweat ...i shake i...get dizzy ../.and for some weird reason weak...and get the most strangest feeling in the world....is like in my heart and it sucks

Anyone else have problems like this?

You may want to consider a school counselor if you don't feel confident in talking to your mom about it, or failing that any adult that you feel you can trust. If you truly feel that SA is becoming overwhelming to you, keeping it to yourself is not a good option to take.

I'm not. I went on an anti depressant that was supposed to help with all my problems including the anxiety but when I was on them I couldn't sleep at all so I stopped. I'm hoping to start seeing a therapist sometime soon...but my problems are just getting worse. I used to be able to go out every now and then to dinner, shopping, etc. Now I don't go anywhere. At all.

Therapy may be a good option - although you guys state-side have to pay for it last I heard. Us Brits (not to rub it in) get it free but usually have to take a group session - which I'm sure actually puts a lot of SA sufferers off the whole idea - talk about irony eh lol.

By the sounds of the above post you're not fairing to well at the moment - I would definitely extend the same advice as acnevsme and try and talk to anyone about this issue that you can. In the mean time, try doing some 'baby steps' if you will like just walking out your front door in and around the neighbourhood. Repetition and forcing yourself progressively into difficult situations is the best way to improve, believe me. And as weird as this is going to sound remember: 'there are no failures, just feedbacks'. This will no doubt be more and more apparent to you soon I'm sure. ;)

You may want to consider a school counselor if you don't feel confident in talking to your mom about it, or failing that any adult that you feel you can trust. If you truly feel that SA is becoming overwhelming to you, keeping it to yourself is not a good option to take.

Therapy may be a good option - although you guys state-side have to pay for it last I heard. Us Brits (not to rub it in) get it free but usually have to take a group session - which I'm sure actually puts a lot of SA sufferers off the whole idea - talk about irony eh lol.

By the sounds of the above post you're not fairing to well at the moment - I would definitely extend the same advice as acnevsme and try and talk to anyone about this issue that you can. In the mean time, try doing some 'baby steps' if you will like just walking out your front door in and around the neighbourhood. Repetition and forcing yourself progressively into difficult situations is the best way to improve, believe me. And as weird as this is going to sound remember: 'there are no failures, just feedbacks'. This will no doubt be more and more apparent to you soon I'm sure. ;)

WELL hey guys....today i was thinking of going to get a haircut....i thought about it for the whole day....but i was to scared to go outside and have people look at me...well i decided fuck it ...so iheadoutside..when i steped outside ...it was the weirdest feeling ever...i felt dizssy weak...like if i just smoked a blunt or somethinhg...it felt like i wasent human anymore..like if i didnt belong in this planet ....it felt extremely weird....all the way to the babershop i felt paranoid .as if people were staring at my face...i swear i thout i seen people look out their car windows and made fun of mee ..thats how it felt...when i made it to the barbershop i was hesitant to go in ...because there is shit load of people there.....i was scared out of my mind ..but i went in anyways....so i sat down and two litle boys kept staring at me and laughing ...in my mind i was like theyr probably making fun of my acne and laughing really bad at how disgusting i llook....but i ignore them...so they stoped....anyways...it was my turn to get a haircut ..fuck i was so nervous and again all those feeling rushed through my head..the barber probalbly thinks poor kid..i thought he was going to recomend something for my face....and keep in mind there was at least 10 people in there including girls my age...i know it was humiliating going in there...well back to the topicc..as he was cutting my hair ...i started sheding skin...since my face is so dry from all the bp im using...and he asked me if i was putting something on my face i was like yeahh..thats why im really dry..he was like ok because your face is clearing up...since i been getting my haircut there for a while now...and i got a haircut there like a months ago when my face was really shitty...but i still thought it was relly shitty today too...turns out hes says is clearing ..up i imagined him saying ...well that cream aint working..but he didnt ..

what i learned today is that staying in my house for a whole 2 weeks without going outside has screwed me up mentally ...big time...i was paranoid the whole time...i couldnt function properly....and the funny thing is that.....before my face was more shitty ...before dans regimen and i wouldnt care...but since stying here so long thins has fuckedd me up in thinking that my face is really fucked up ...wich for me it is ..but other people say is improving...wtf....i think im mental or something....well anyways im really scared of gooing to school monday ..havent gone there in a while.,,,and i dont think im going to funcktion properly after spending all this time alone ..on my compueter with no human contact wats so ever....,,,so any advise on how to deal to going to school will be apriciated