Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xwan

tanning to reduce noticability or red marks?

so i was thinking of hitting a tanning bed for a week so that my red marks aren't as noticeable. I am pretty pale naturally so red marks are quite noticeable takes weeks for red marks to fade to a point where i am comfortable (Though if I look closely i can see a little red mark from pimples i had months ago, pimples that were only pretty averaged size at that). Anyway, does anyone know if this is a bad idea or not? I know tanning can be damaging to the skin but im not worried about long term damage as I am only going for a week or so. I've tanned once in my life before for a week or 2 and prolly went once every other day or even once every 3 days over that week (before I went to florida so I didn't burn up) My skin was actually perrrrffecccctt when i was in florida ( thank god that would've ruined my time ). anyone have any experience/ideas about this please?

I can't really speak for what's best in general, since most experts say you shouldn't really tan. However, in my experience, it has lessened the overall look of red marks quite a bit. I haven't gone tanning in a bed much, mostly outside, but it makes such a big difference to me. Usually i just dot a little bit of 45 spf on the red marks and don't rub it in. Then I just go tan! The first time you do it, I would check yourself after the first few minutes, etc, just to make sure that they aren't darkening or not blending in well. Everyone's skin is different, so I would hate to tell you something that doesn't work or makes it worse. However, tanning has made a huuuuge difference in getting rid of my red marks much faster.

Hi xwan,

Even though tanning may hide the visability of acne marks, tanning beds aren't way to go in my opinion. I would rather just wash your face with a mild cleanser that doesn't contain harsh chemicals such as benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. So it wont aggravate them anymore. Then just apply some 100% aloe vera gel to the spots and they should be getting lighter in about 3 weeks.

Hope it helps! :)

dvozab

Edited by dvozab

I'm not a regular tanner but the times I have tanned-- it made my marks practically disappear. I don't know how it work but even after I stopped tanning and my skin lightened, my marks were no longer visible. I have very pale olive skin tone (no freckles) and it takes a lot of hours in the sun for me to burn without sun protection. So when I'm read to get rid of my marks, I just spend a day or two at the beach and after that tan fades, my marks are gone.

It's different for everyone though.

Edited by tandg

I am pales skinned like you, and I've heard that it would make our red marks more pronounced. I dunno, I htought about it, but refuse to go and have my skin look worse because of it.

Well, if you are pale, tanning is probably not the answer. It's a trick in disguise!! Tanning beds are really really harmful no matter the amount of time you go for. And the experience is addictive, truly. There are studies on that. If you have to tan, I would say go outside, and wear sunscreen. skin cancer would be worse than red marks. Although I do hope yours improve soon!!