Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mirza89

Do you ever feel like blaming your parents?

I know it's petty and childish but before I went on Accutane, I used to lash out at my mother a lot when I came down with a break-out and argue with her in a lame way to try compensate for my condition, which is probably genetic since my mother had cystic acne as well (although not as bad as mine).

When we blame our genes we're really blaming ourselves and that's something you can't do with Acne, since it's so variable and hyper-sensitive and unpredictable that there could be a million factors as to why your acne is the way it is.

But nevertheless, it's what I used to do... during some of the lowest periods of my life.

Anyone else?

At times, yes. But, not so much for the gene thing and more concerning my overall health. My mom isn't exactly the most knowledgeable person in the world when it comes to health. I feel like if I had gotten some guidance in that department from early on in life I wouldn't have become the mess that I am today and have been slowly trying to fix for the last few years of my life. It hurts when I think about how much of this shit probably could have been so easily avoided.

Edited by King Rat
At times, yes. But, not so much for the gene thing and more concerning my overall health. My mom isn't exactly the most knowledgeable person in the world when it comes to health. I feel like if I had gotten some guidance in that department from early on in life I wouldn't have become the mess that I am today and have been slowly trying to fix for the last few years of my life. It hurts when I think about how much of this shit probably could have been so easily avoided.

Exactly.

I had the opportunity to take Accutane 2 years before I actually started it, but due to some absolutely idiotic doctor who warned my mother of the standard "Accutane Horror Stories", we decided to put it off for another 2 years.

And surprise, surprise it flared up like hell.

I wasted 2 years with Doxycycline before coming to my senses and man if I could go back in time I would have taken Accutane back in the 9th grade, when my acne was barely alive.

my bro is the opposite of me.. attractive, great hairline, muscles etc.. but hes not a nice person..

My mother had bad acne apparently, can't tell from what she looks like now though.

I never told her it, but inside my head i have blamed her for it, almost as far as thinking ''why did you bother having kids if you were going to pass on the crappy skin''.

I BLAME MY DAD SIDE OF THE FAMILY! :snooty:

ALMOST EVERYONE ON HIS SIDE HAS BAD SKIN! BUT, THEIR SKIN CLEARED UP BY THE TIME THEY REACHED ADULTHOOD! I'M 21, SO WHO'S TO BLAME NOW!"LOL" ANYHOW, AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TOO BLAME MY DAD, BLAMEING HIM IS NOT GOING TO MAKE IT GO AWAY!

SO, FOCUS ON HOW TOO GET RID OF IT, RATHER THEN PLAY THE BLAME GAME! :cool:

''I'M AN EMOTIONAL PERSON TOO" :cry:

My mother had bad acne apparently, can't tell from what she looks like now though.

I never told her it, but inside my head i have blamed her for it, almost as far as thinking ''why did you bother having kids if you were going to pass on the crappy skin''.

i feel the same way. my dad had bad acne, and it makes me mad sometimes, i feel like its his fault my skin is so bad, if it wasnt for his crap genes i wouldn't have to suffer. of course i would never say this to him lol. at least he understands what im going through. and as wrong as it sounds, sometimes i think to myself that i should never have kids; why would i intentionally make someone else go through acne?

i feel the same way. my dad had bad acne, and it makes me mad sometimes, i feel like its his fault my skin is so bad, if it wasnt for his crap genes i wouldn't have to suffer. of course i would never say this to him lol. at least he understands what im going through. and as wrong as it sounds, sometimes i think to myself that i should never have kids; why would i intentionally make someone else go through acne?

My parents have perfect skin and so do all their siblings and most of their children, but somehow I ended up with acne. Acne can't always be blamed on the genes of your parents. Some physical problems are the result of your own lifestyle choices.

Be honest with yourself when it comes to your lifestyle. The sooner you take responsibility for yourself, the easier things become. I know my acne was nearly all the result of my poor lifestyle choices. I know that in some rare cases, one's acne is extremely bad and can only be treated with medicine, but for most of the people, particularly people on these boards, their acne is mainly due to their own choices, not their genes.

I know it's petty and childish but before I went on Accutane, I used to lash out at my mother a lot when I came down with a break-out and argue with her in a lame way to try compensate for my condition, which is probably genetic since my mother had cystic acne as well (although not as bad as mine).

When we blame our genes we're really blaming ourselves and that's something you can't do with Acne, since it's so variable and hyper-sensitive and unpredictable that there could be a million factors as to why your acne is the way it is.

But nevertheless, it's what I used to do... during some of the lowest periods of my life.

Anyone else?

yes, even though they did bring me to a dermatologist at an early age but my mom use to get big huge pimples and my dad has big scars on his cheeks, they should have never had me, i blame the dermatologists also, nothing worked, they should have put me on accutane early on. Instead from 17-29, i suffered, and recently took accutane now im clear but with lots of scar and red marks.

Yes, blaming your parents for your acne IS childish. You should focus that anger on more productive things and be happy that you are even alive.

That I'm alive? And I thought I was cynical...

There's a fine line between grateful for everything else in your life that has gone right and just being severely depressed.

That's acne talking.

I think by 'blaming the parents' the OP is not referring to genetics but to the fact that some people's parents did not take their child's acne problem seriously which left them with severe scarring, or something to that extent.

Never have wanted to blame my parents.

I never felt the need to, I always just blamed myself and got mad at myself.

Blaming your parents seems VERY pointless, it's not like they chose 'Yeah give our son Johnny the acne gene!'

but if you're talking about blaming them for not taking action, some just think you'll grow out of it, it's just a phase. blah blah.

I think by 'blaming the parents' the OP is not referring to genetics but to the fact that some people's parents did not take their child's acne problem seriously which left them with severe scarring, or something to that extent.

im almost positive that you are wrong about that. it is a common frustration amongst people with acne. personally i would be very reluctant to have kids.

yes, i used to blame my parents at times. it's irrational, but acne can get you to a point where you're looking for answers, n all you're getting is bullshit results time and time again. pain can make you turn to thoughts that don't make sense. you just want to stop agonizing over your face, and if your parents didn't have you, you wouldn't be going thru it in the first place.

i think you can blame your parents if they treat you badly because of your acne, but other than that ... if you're looking for the cause of your acne, like the OP said, there's many factors that come into play.

Edited by den_den