Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kikiv

small, flesh colored bumps on face. help very much appreciated!

I am currently studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Before I arrived here, my skin was relatively clear, besides the occasional pimple on my checks & some small flesh colored bumps on my forehead (I figured they were a result of oily skin from my bangs). A few weeks after arriving, however, I developed similar small, flesh colored bumps all over my entire face. From a distance or in pictures, it doesn't look like my skin is too bad, but when I look closely in the mirror (or when the sun is shining on my face) it's clear that my skin is very rough & uneven as a result of the bumps. I'm really frustrated, because I can't see a dermatologist until I'm back in the states, & I really don't want to spend my time abroad feeling self-conscious about my skin (it's tough enough feeling confident in a foreign country as it is!)

As far as products go, I have been using Differin 1% at night & Duac in the morning to control my acne (though the small bumps that are all over my face aren't that much like acne-- they aren't whiteheads or blackheads, & they can't be popped). I also use a natural moisturizer when my skin gets dry (Yes to Tomatoes). I had been using these products before I arrived.

After reading message boards, I tried the aspirin/honey mask, and though it seemed to make my face a tiny bit smoother the bumps have definitely not gone away.

Now I'm considering that it might be an allergic reaction to something I'm being exposed to in my new home (though it seems that if it were an allergic reaction it would be more red/itchy?) I live with a host family, who uses heavily scented detergents on sheets/towels.

Also, it is fairly humid here. Could that be related?

I am very, very frustrated & feeling pretty bad about my appearance. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful! Thanks :)

Edited by kikiv

do the bumps look like this ? pic

It could be non inflamed clogged pores that are kind of below the surface? And the change in climate can have an effect on skin- I have heard lots of people complain of this. I don't know what to tell you.... maybe try a 2% salicylic acid treatment gel. Duac works by killing the bacteria responsible for inflamed acne lesions and differin is a retinoid (I think these work by telling your skin cells to grow more normally and reduce inflamation?). So maybe using a chemical exfoliant like SA could help clear your pores. I like the neutrogena stress control gel... maybe you can get it there

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp163358_333181_...e_treatment.htm

sorry if this wasn't helpful.

Edited by chipped

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded!

Chipped-- thanks so much for the ideas! My bumps look a little bit different than the ones in the picture, they're a bit more pimple-y. I think you're right that my pores are clogged!

Akko-- thanks for replying! That definitely describes my symptoms; it is exactly what my derm in the US diagnosed me with a few months ago! I had bumps on my forehead (like the ones that are now all over my face) that started after I had bangs cut. My derm was convinced that I needed Nizoral to get rid of them, but I did THREE cycles with medicine (both pills and shampoo) and it never changed anything! Now I think it's safe to say that the bumps are clogged pores/acne related.

Luckily, right after I posted this I found out that I was able to see a dermatologist here in Argentina. First, he asked me how often I wash my face, & when I told him that I use a gentle cleanser twice a day he acted shocked! He said that this was definitely the problem-- that I am stripping my skin of its natural oils, drying it out, & causing excessive oil production, which leads to clogged pores/acne.

He told me to wash my face twice a week (at most!), discontinue Duac, and continue with Differin at night. So, basically, now I wake up in the morning, wash my face with water, and put on a gentle lotion he gave me. At night I wash my face with water again, and use Differin.

This advice was definitely hard for me to understand (my whole life I've learned that washing your face prevents acne!) but I'm definitely going to give it a shot! So far, my skin is definitely more oily, but luckily I'm not noticing new breakouts. Also, it kind of looks like the little bumps are developing more into whiteheads (whereas before they were just mysterious tiny hard bumps that definitely seemed like they might not have been acne). I am actually happy about this! I'm hoping that all the little bumps will come to the surface & maybe finally go away.

I am really anxious to find out how this new method works out (my fingers are crossed!) and I'll be sure to update in case you're curious too!

Thanks again!