Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey, i think this poll will help us learn more about how genetic is acne...

just write what age you start having acne, how old are you now, how bad is it

the same for your family, have they grown out of it?

i'll start -

-i'm 20, having acne since 15.5, it's started pretty mild on my face became worst over the years it spread to my back and arms and now it's the worst ever.

-my only brother is 17 and having it since 14, no so much on his face but most on his back.

-my father is 51 and had acne since his youth on his back till this very day, he tells me it's only start to fade now. he never had 1 zit on his face though.

-my mom had mild acne when she was a teenager and she grew out of it... no big deal.

by the way i hope my english is ok and not so much grammar mistakes, it's not my primary language biggrin.gif

My mum and dad had no acne whatsoever.

Me, my brother and sister all had mild to occasionaly moderate acne.

My other sister had very, very mild acne but she had really, really bad dandruff which is linked to acne.

My wholy fuken family tree hasn't had acne...but of course i have to get it cause i was soo hot getting every girl i wanted and telling god to lick my balls then he punished my ass for a year +. Now i'm just wearing down the red marks, soon i'll have the male model status back.

I'm 18, have moderate acne/clogged pores and some scars, I got my first zit in 5th grade, and I still have it after graduating high school. it comes and goes but leaves ugly red marks and scars.

My dad had really really bad acne, has a whole face full of pitted scars, and his acne didn't respond to accutane when he took it as a teen

My mom has no acne or history of it. She only gets a few hormonal pimples rarely.

Nobody else in my family has acne.

I guess my dad had it a little,my mom didnt at all, my sister had it kinda bad on her forehead at one point. I got my first zit when i was 11 or 12 and i still have them now at 16. it was definately at its worst around the age of 13 and 14

My mom and dad both had acne as teenagers and both grew out of it. I don't know how bad theirs was, but it certainly was no worse than mild-moderate.

My brother gets some very very mild acne, but he had it a little worse when he was around my age.

I get mild acne and have since I was 12, and I'm 18 now. My cheeks and chin are clear, I just get those annoying little ones on my nose and a couple big ones on my forehead :angry:

acne started: 13-14 yrs old

age now: 19

brother --> moderate acne..grew out of it during his early 20's

gradmother --> moderate acne...I have pictures of her in her 20's without acne

me --> moderate acne...clear for now but expecting to have another breakout from quitting antibiotics

mom & dad: no acne

I'm the only one in my immediate family who has acne (well, my 20 yr old sister had a little bit but it's nothing big)

my acne is severe, I'd be on accutane but due to financial reasons (no medical/health insurance) I can't go on it. I've tried everything prescription wise, and right now I'm just on the regimen + B5 + fish oil and it's actually gotten better in the past month

my dad's dad (my grandpa) had bad skin from what I've heard, and my uncle on my dad's side has/had very severe acne that left him badly scarred (he's ~40 I think), and his scars are still there...

my mom's side of the family has baby skin :angry:

Genetics are crazy...

Me: 23 and have had mild acne since 12... always confined to the lower half of the face only but so persistent..

Parents: mother had mild acne as a teenager, left her at about 16... father had mild acne up until he was 21

Siblings: second oldest brother had severe acne until he was about 22 (scarring also), oldest brother has beautiful skin, maybe one zit in his whole life.

Grandmothers: maternal grandmother had beautiful skin, don't think she ever had acne but she has severe skin problems now related to eczema.. paternal grandmother had acne I think when she was younger but believe hers went in her early 20's.

Grandfathers: pretty sure neither had acne but they died before I was born.

I don't know if my father had acne, don't really know him that well. I have seen old and new pictures of him and it doesn't look like he does. :)

My mother said she had severe acne in high school and still today she gets BIG pimples around her chin, but that's it.

My older sister (only sister, no brothers) had moderate to severe acne in high school. She always denies it though ;) She still gets acne today, mostly on the chin and cheecks.

Me, I got acne in the 7th grade and still have it today. In middle school, my acne was on my T-zone. In high school, on my cheecks, now in college, on my chin, jaw line, and sometimes my cheecks. I have mild to moderate acne.

I feel REALLY bad for my niece though. My sister (her mom) had bad facial acne and her husband has REALLY bad (severe) back acne. I am just nervous for her when she hits her teens. She could have severe facial acne and severe back acne and having both just sucks!

Mum - none (occasional spot)

Dad - Moderate. age 50+ !!

Sister - Mild/moderate like me.

Noture beyond that. Im pretty sure my sis & I got the genes off my dad. More me than my sis though. Sucks

xo

Both my mom and dad, my grandpa on my dad's side, and my aunt (also on my dad's side) experienced severe acne and oily skin until their early to mid 20s.

My dad's acne was BAD. It was on his face, back, and neck. He still has scars on his neck that look like he had some kind of horrible burning accident. He used to get cysts so big and painful that he'd frequently have to get them drained at the dermatologist's. I know it's his "fault" that I have large pores and oily skin.

My dad looks great for his age now, though.

If he were a little thinner, he wouldn't look a day over 38 (he's almost 50). Same with my grandpa, he's over 70 and doesn't look too much older than my dad. My aunt is also getting up there in the years (over 50) and she looks even younger than my dad because she takes better care of herself.

That oil has kept them preserved, haha.

I try to tell myself that, even though my face is an oil slick now, at least I'll be almost wrinkle free long into my golden years.

Dad: Had moderate-to-severe acne between ages 15 and 32. Was the most severe between 18 and 24. Still gets an odd papule or 2 at 57. Says he has blackheads, too, but I can't see them even when he points directly at them. Has always had very oily skin and oily hair.

Mom: No acne until after menopause. Gets an odd blackhead and a very, very odd papule at 55. Has always had dry skin and hair.

Siblings: Not applicable, but I'm guessing there'd probably be some acne present.

Me: Moderate-to-severe acne starting at 10 (mom did the early puberty thing, too; it just didn't involve acne for her). Was suppressed to mild by prescription acne meds from ages 12 through 20. Kept mild-to-moderate ages 20 through 22 with otc acne meds and intermittent birth control. Severe acne (improvements to moderate when prescription acne meds feel like working) due to the use of lithium carbonate from age 22 to present (about a year). Have always had very oily skin and hair, but it went off the charts about a year ago.

I'm so not a geneticist, but to me, acne seems like a complex trait with some individual genes expressing dominance.

Im turning 24 in April and Ive had acne half of my life, since I was twelve or thirteen. I forget which. I think it was twelve.

My dad had acne. I dont know the severity of it though and he says he had it from the age of 13 to thirty I think and my mom only had acne two years of her life. Her sister had given her this facial cleanser full of fragrence and it made her break out in moderate acne. Other than those two years, my mom didnt even have mild acne. Her brother had severe acne and has scars to this day. My dads younger brother also had severe acne and has scars to this day.

Me- med. complexion, oily skin, large pores, no acne since accutane..I now deal with hideous scarring

Mom- very fair skinned - no acne, gorgeous skin all her life.

Dad- darker skin, no acne, but lots of sun damage and wrinkles.

Brother#1 - Blonde hair and fair complexion -poreless skin, no acne ever.

Brother#2- Brown hair and darker complexion - oily skin, suffers with acne and scars.

Dilbert, my 4 legged dog son- although covered with tan and black hair, his skin is great.

Me- med. complexion, oily skin, large pores, no acne since accutane..I now deal with hideous scarring

Mom- very fair skinned - no acne, gorgeous skin all her life.

Dad- darker skin, no acne, but lots of sun damage and wrinkles.

Brother#1 - Blonde hair and fair complexion -poreless skin, no acne ever.

Brother#2- Brown hair and darker complexion - oily skin, suffers with acne and scars.

Dilbert, my 4 legged son- although covered with tan and black hair, his skin is great.

Dad: severe acne. emotionally dibilitating (sp?). He was a complete nerd/outcast until he went to college. Has some BAD scarring man! I feel really bad because one time I mentioned one of his accidents where he hit his face on the ice. I always though all the deformities on his face were scarring from the fall.....but he got all awkward and said no I never got any scarring from that! OMG lol. He has bad skin overall, oily and big pores

Mom: normal skin, some teen acne here and there like normal. Never has worn makeup in her life

Sister: I always thought it was really good....but she wore a TON of makeup so I don't know at all. She probably had the same skin as me. I remember her on retin-a micro. She is all clear now.

brother: baby-doll soft, perfect tone, never oily. But if he does get zits they are HUGE and red and disgusting. Always on hair-line, temples and chin. But he is a hormonal 20 year old man who sweats, tries to bulk up and uses bad shampoo.

this is really really fukin weird that u sat there n studied ur families skin. and why are you guys obbsessin over red marks? christ if you look around everyone has red marks no matter who they are, its a case of deal with it, the less u look at ur skin the less u care simple as.

My acne comes from my mother's side, I think. My grandmother had bad acne, and my mom had moderate acne. I'm not aware of any skin problems from my father's side.

2 of my younger siblings also have varying degrees of acne.

I'm curious to see if there's any sort of a pattern in this thread.

My mom didn't have it, my dad had mild acne when he was a teen, but nothing really bad. My uncle had it horribly, which is where my brother and I got it, (damn him to hell!!!!) but it was only during his teenage years and looking at him now you couldn't tell.

But yeah, my brother and I have/had it quite badly, the only downside is that my brother is still struggling quite badly whereas mine has improved considerably. (Kudos to the pill really.)

Stupid family genetics!!!