Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkippyMyL00

DRY DRY DRY SKIN! =[

Im wanting to try the BP product however im nervous about the drying. I dont know if anyone else has a serious dry skin problem but for a couple of years now i will often get so dry that my skin will crack open around my mouth and nose and my skin will become raw and rough and nothing will relieve me from the dryness. I currently sleep with neosporin on my face every night with a little vaseline. Its miserable with the dryness i already have but on top of that i also have acne breakouts and any products i have ever tried trigger the dryness. basically im wondering how the bp will effect me and if anyone else has had this problem. THANKS A TON! =]

Im wanting to try the BP product however im nervous about the drying. I dont know if anyone else has a serious dry skin problem but for a couple of years now i will often get so dry that my skin will crack open around my mouth and nose and my skin will become raw and rough and nothing will relieve me from the dryness. I currently sleep with neosporin on my face every night with a little vaseline. Its miserable with the dryness i already have but on top of that i also have acne breakouts and any products i have ever tried trigger the dryness. basically im wondering how the bp will effect me and if anyone else has had this problem. THANKS A TON! =]

BP is incredibly drying. I used it (2.5% version where you keep it on and let it absorb, like in the acne.org regimen) and it made my skin start to wrinkle a little bit because of how dry my face was. And yes, I had a moisturizer. I tried sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, but none of them would get rid of the immense dryness of my face. Didn't work. But, my face is quite sensitive. BP works wonders for others with skin that can withstand it. So, currently, I'm using a cleanser with salicylic acid and some glycolic acid, and then I apply an aloe vera moisturizer that I add a few drops of Tea tree oil to. Tree Tea Oil gives similar results as BP (in one clinical test...kind of old, though), but is less drying and doesn't make your skin peel. You also get the benefits of aloe vera, which aids the skin in healing.

And, I've now added pure vitamin e skin oil into my regimen (before bed, after the aloe vera+ TTO drys). That should give some serious hydration for the skin. Try finding some vitamin e oil that has only one other carrier oil, like safflower oil for instance. The vitamin e oil I have only has one ingredient: tocopheryl acetate (It's a 0/5 on the pore clogging scale), which is preferable, since it's the form of vitamin e that won't clog your pores, as opposed to tocopherol, the other form.

Edited by swdison

BP is incredibly drying. I used it (2.5% version where you keep it on and let it absorb, like in the acne.org regimen) and it made my skin start to wrinkle a little bit because of how dry my face was. And yes, I had a moisturizer. I tried sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, but none of them would get rid of the immense dryness of my face. Didn't work. But, my face is quite sensitive. BP works wonders for others with skin that can withstand it. So, currently, I'm using a cleanser with salicylic acid and some glycolic acid, and then I apply an aloe vera moisturizer that I add a few drops of Tea tree oil to. Tree Tea Oil gives similar results as BP (in one clinical test...kind of old, though), but is less drying and doesn't make your skin peel. You also get the benefits of aloe vera, which aids the skin in healing.

And, I've now added pure vitamin e skin oil into my regimen (before bed, after the aloe vera+ TTO drys). That should give some serious hydration for the skin. Try finding some vitamin e oil that has only one other carrier oil, like safflower oil for instance. The vitamin e oil I have only has one ingredient: tocopheryl acetate (It's a 0/5 on the pore clogging scale), which is preferable, since it's the form of vitamin e that won't clog your pores, as opposed to tocopherol, the other form.

THANKS! yes my skin is VERY sensitive too =[ makes breakouts even more difficult! I will try all of those! I didnt think that the BP would work for me.

Hey,

Before you try tee tree oil, i'm gonna suggest something else. I say that because some people react horribly to tee tree oil and some don't. but the ones who react horribly say it makes everything much worse. I don't have as dry of skin as you do, but products like BP will make it worse as already mentioned. I have really bad acne, but what i use is 100% natural and extremely effective at nourishing the skin and preventing acne. My acne cleared in a week of using this. Rooibos tea. Or any decaf green or white teas. I drink about three to four cups a day with about four tea bags in each cup. I then make a toner in a coffee mug using four rooibos tea bags(or decaf white/green tea) and four chamomile tea bags. I wash my face twice a day but you could see what works best for you. Don't be afraid to add more toner throughout the day either cause it's only going to make your skin healthier. I can't believe how this has cleared my acne, but it makes perfect sense. No harsh irritating chemmicals, and tons of antioxidents and anti inflamatorys. If you don't believe me look up these teas on the internet and see the benefits they offer. Here's something you can check out on this site as well. Hope this helps

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Rooibos-Tea-t187477.html

Oh yeah, and i have VERY sensitive skin as well

Edited by onefatalgoose

I don't recommend giving up on BP so quickly, BP is a product that dries the skin that is a given, but you can negate that dryness by using a good moisturizer.

If you can provide me with the moisturizer you're currently using then that would be usefull.I myself had to fight off dry skin and have tried a lot of moisturizers, namely Cetaphil's Moisturizing Lotion and Complex 15 Therapuetic Lotion I found most of these products were too thick, didn't moisturize enough and were very greasy, the moisturizer from Acne.org seems to have the same properties.

The one I recommend using and the one I've used for ever is CeraVe Moisurizing Lotion, which has rave reviews on the review section over here at Acne.org and for good reasoning. It is one of the lightest lotions I've found, I don't even realise it's on my skin, it dries in extremely quickly, deals with dryness completely and lasts all day long. Looking at the ingredients it's one of the few moisturizers that contains Ceramides and Hyaluronic Acid (which brings water to the surface of your skin, it's used in many anti-aging lotions but few moisturizers) which on a scientific level provide great moisture to the skin. Put a few drops of Jojoba oil in that and things will be perfect.

Also look into a moisturizes that contains AHA (Lactic Acid) things like Lac-Hydrin Five (5%) or AmLaction Moisturizing Lotion (12%) not only work great for acne, but fight dryness unbelievably.

If you're looking into treatments other then BP, Salicylic Acid is good too (Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Lotion) but AHA products (Glycolic Acid) such as Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion/Acne.org AHA+ have been said to work much better and as an added bonus AHA's combat dry skin and wrinkles.

For a more natural route Tea Tree Oil does work great but can be irritating, the previous poster makes some great points and alternatives. You can look into diluting vinegar with water and using that as a toner which I used to do when my acne was terrible and it worked amazingly. You can use an Aspirin or Egg White Mask too, Aspirin is the main choice there I've heard rave reviews about it for acne and skin in general, using it myself I can say it is up there with the best commercial masks. Try drinking at least 1.8 Litres of water daily thats roughly 8-10 cups of water, in each glass add some lemon juice which personally works wonders. Things like Green Tea, White Tea or other types of natural tea can have great affects on the skin, but it's not a guarentee like BP is.

Edited by Max Quin

accutane is the ultimate surefire cure it is working for me..... on my third month im 95% clearer. As far as hydrating your face...... sleep with a humidifier right next to your bed... works great. also there is a new cetaphil moisturizer out there called daily advance ultra hydrating lotion that works great. With the summer months coming around moisture shouldnt be too big of a problem considering the humid temperatures so just hang in there.

onefatalgoose said:
Hey,

Before you try tee tree oil, i'm gonna suggest something else. I say that because some people react horribly to tee tree oil and some don't. but the ones who react horribly say it makes everything much worse. I don't have as dry of skin as you do, but products like BP will make it worse as already mentioned. I have really bad acne, but what i use is 100% natural and extremely effective at nourishing the skin and preventing acne. My acne cleared in a week of using this. Rooibos tea. Hope this helps

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Rooibos-Tea-t187477.html

Oh yeah, and i have VERY sensitive skin as well

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Edited by godawfulface

Thanks so much! i actually went to the store today and got some jojoba oil and some white tea and im going to try it. Im not very good at drinking water either so im trying to get better with that as well. =D